1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

vancouver amp repairpeople...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jIvan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. jIvan

jIvan

Mar 25, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    does anybody know of a good place in vancouver, bc, canada where a good amp repairman is found?

2. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Well, if it's a tube head you're looking to repair, then Mr. Ho is certainly the guru. However, I seem to recall that he is either mostly- or semi-retired these days.

You should seek out a guy by the name of Kirk Elliott. A guitarist friend of mine has dealt with him several times and he is great. Takes extremely great pride in his work.

On the other hand, if you're looking to have a solid state amp repaired, hopefully some of the other Vancouver area TBers here can chime in with some good names.

If I can come up with any others, I'll definitely post them here. Good luck with the search.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Backline on Francis St. Near Clark and Hastings.

Its where L&M sends there stuff. I had a bad experience with Mr. Ho and wont bring my stuff to him again. He lost ALL the screws to my amp and then denied it. He said he got it that way. Why the heck would I take all the screws off of my amp housing? Especially if I was going to leave the house with it. No sense arguing, but he wont get my business again.

Backline is very professional and they know what they are doing.

4. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

Jun 25, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    Ho for tube or solid state...Backline (they moved over to Frances St. off Clark) will fix pretty well anything...Dave Vidal for tube vintage (he knows them well, besides being one of the best guitar players in town with the mucho authentic tone). Hope that helps.

5. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Act One Music in Langley does amplifier service. I had my old Traynor YBA-3 Custom Special serviced there and was very pleased with the service.

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    +1 on all the above.

7. I just dropped off my old marshall Basstate 65 watt 1x12 combo at Ho's about two weeks ago.

I believe there was something wrong with the built-in equilizer and the compressor.

We'll see how he handles it.

Good to know about the other guys in town. Thanks guys.

8. I had a vintage SVT repaired by some guy located around Kingsway I can't recall the shop name righ tnow but It was recommended to me by Long and McQuade. You choudl call L&M and see what they suggest.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    That was Ho's. Kingsway between Joyce & Boundary.

10. Yup that's the place, he did a good job withoguht any problem in my case.

11. I've had two things repaired at Ho's, and I've never had any problems with him. First was my Traynor Monoblock II, which had been blown up pretty bad. Using the schematic, he was able to find out what was wrong and fix it for a reasonable price.

Second was my Ampeg SVP-Pro. Most of the transformer leads were broken where they connected to the circuit board. The leads were broken clean at the transformer, so I figured I needed a new one at the very least. He was able to solder wires were the leads were broken, and secure the transformer so it wouldn't move around as much. Again, all of this for a good price, as I thought my SVP-Pro was screwed pretty bad.

I found him to be a nice guy and knowledgeable to boot. He even lent me a "tube" box which he built himself to try. It's a box with a preamp tube and two power amp tubes which gives a tube sound to solid state amps.

Lyle

12. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    and I've never had a problem with Mr. Ho, but he's not really good at high-tech stuff.

Backline's probably your answer.

Cameron

13. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    Wow cool.

I live just up the hill from Backline.

14. Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was hoping BassIsBoss or someone else around here (Vancouver, Canada) has Dave Vidal's phone number. He serviced my Marshall JCM800 but now I can't find his number to ask him a question!

A PM would be perfect.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

15. ZigZigler

ZigZigler

Dec 14, 2009
    Ho's is a good place but he's usually swamped - another highly recomended repair shop - especially for blown speakers (L&M usually sends all their speakers problems here) is Kinetic:
    Kinetic Sound Services
    4131 Fraser Street, Vancouver, BC V5V 4E9
    (604) 876-7847‎ or (604) 875-8511‎

its on Fraser just south of King Edward (25th) ave..

16. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Got his card somewhere...when I dig it out I'll get back to you.

Cheers,
    Cameron

17. 4to5to6

4to5to6 Bassist Supporting Member

Dave Vidal’s phone number is: 604 437-3694

He's the best with tubes and has a real passion for old amps.

18. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    FWIW, the post looking for dave's number is over a year old.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Excellent reference for the tube amp repair list.

20. 4to5to6

4to5to6 Bassist Supporting Member

I know it's a year old. Maybe I should apologize for digging up an old thread but I was looking for Dave's # myself a few days ago and couldn't find it. I had to do some serious searching and just thought I would pass the info on to save someone else the same hassle. I’ve been quoted by someone else so Dave’s contact info is here to stay as a reference. I’m sure Dave won’t mind anyway. Seems like every time I post something I get a flack! Come on fellow bass players BE NICE!

I know all the repair people mentioned in this thread and in my experience Dave is the guy to go to for vintage tube amps, Ho’s next then Backline for hybrid amps and other old gear like Hammonds and vintage synths etc. I believe Backline will also take care of Aguilar and EBS for example. Dave Vidal is the guy for the tubes though and he is also one killer blues guitar player!!! So he knows tone.

Dave also does work on basses I’ve been told. The best Vancouver guy for bass work is (or was) Ed Myronick. He’s the only guy here I would trust with a fretless. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to contact him. I know this is a little off track (please no one jump on me) but if anyone knows how to get hold of Ed please add him to the list. I’ve played basses Ed’s worked on (a 1977 fretless Music Man and a 1960 Fender Jazz) and he did an awesome job!