1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Velcroing pedals to the pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by u84six, Jan 13, 2012.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    To the people who use velcro, do you take the feet off your pedals before sticking the velcro tape on your pedals?

2. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    yes

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I try to avoid it....as in...at first I don't and if it sticks I rejoice....but if the feet keep it from sticking fully...then I have to dissect. I start off trying to keep it intact because I know I can't keep up with small **** like that. And as bipolar as I am with pedals....it'll probably be heading to someone else at some point.

4. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Ok, I figured it was kind of a stupid question. ;) I'm pretty sure I'll have to take the feet off of a volume pedal and I hope it doesn't wobble around too much while using it.

5. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I peel the feet off, yes. I maybe didn't have to, but I felt like it was wise to start out with the flattest possible surface to insure the securest possible stick. I think I kept most of the little rubber feet. I have them in a duffel bag somewhere along with the boxes the pedals came in, their manuals, extra velcro, zip ties and spare patch cables.

6. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Do you velcro a volume pedal?

7. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    This!

I want the maximum amount of contact. If I could bolt those pedals down I would. Almost like couch's pedal board but without the anodized link.

8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    You do if you want it to stick to your board. But some people do put those kind of expression pedals--volume or wah, usually--off the board. In that case I would certainly keep the feet on.

I don't have a volume or a wah pedal.

9. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I don't, but people do. Well, my expression pedals that is...no volume just expression.

10. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    same. if i get a new pedal, ill hold off pulling the feet off for a couple of weeks to make sure im keeping it.

as for the volume pedal... i dont have one but those things are pretty huge.. i have a PT1 and its not the biggest board. id keep that off to the side personally.

11. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I take the feet off as you can usually buy more rubber feet if you need them back on (places like Lowes/Home Depot sells rubber feet I think...). I usually use the 2" Velcro that comes in a 5' roll at Walmart and for large pedals like volume or wahs use one long strip to cover the bottom of the pedal. The sucker stays on and needs the strength of 10 men to pull back off. However, for expression pedals or amp channel switches I just leave those on the floor, don't really use 'em as much as the others...

12. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    For a couple of pedals that the feet are screwed in with the same screws that hold the bottom on (I'm looking at you Dunlop) I made a wooden spacer that velcros between the pedal and the board with cut-outs for the feet.

13. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    how heavy are those ernie ball volume pedals?

14. I am having issues pulling the little feet of my boutique pedals; really want to keep them as intact as I can. Therefore, I am considering cutting out some thin aluminium, so that I can attach it via the enclosure's screws. Hopefully that type of set-up will allow me to stick the Velcro to the aluminium instead of desecrating the bass of the pedal.

15. A talkbass user showed this many moons ago and I've been passing it on ever since. This works on most pedals, but not all.

Remove the base of your pedal. Apply packing tape around your pedal base; first adhesive side out, then adhesive side in to prevent it actually sticking to the pedal. Attach velcro to your tape. If you need some elevation on your pedal, stick a spacer of some sort (I generally used a scrap piece of wood laying about) between the pieces of tape. When you fasten the base back onto the pedal, the tape usually stretches to a tight fit. This has always worked for me. Here's an old DOD pedal post tape, pre velcro (as taken by a cell phone with problems).

tapedpedal-1.

And one with a riser attached.

tapedpedal.

16. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    ^^^

Now that's OCD! Effective but straight OCD.

17. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    @cheapbasslovin, that's definitely an interesting technique!

18. ranjam

ranjam

Sep 4, 2008
    Canada
  19. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
  20. Not as OCD as you think. I started doing it because I was getting killed trying to put velcro on a Digitech or DOD or Boss or something and couldn't get it to stick worth a damn. I also needed to raise and lower a few pedals to extract every last inch out of my board. It was pretty easy so I gave it a go on other pedals and it became my method.