1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Violin Bass for Metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBassmaster27, Nov 8, 2018.

1. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    The Price Tag on the Contra is the most Metal thing about it....

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    what if you play a daisy rock but you play it ironically or angrily?

3. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Throw on some distortion and chug!

Dr Gero and pcake like this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Greco made a solid body violin bass in the '70s. It had two 'rail' humbuckers and a high mass bridge.

grecoface01_zps36ef892b-jpg.jpg

This would work for metal.

Mark76 and DeliriumTremens like this.
  5. I would love to own a solidbody violin bass, but they are sooooo rare now. My friend actually owns one, but he won't sell because was a "gift". He doesn't even play bass lol.

6. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    The Hofner HCTs are practically solid bodies due to the sound block. They are a well built instrument and sound great. There are a few on ebay and reverb right now. I own one alongside an Ignition and two German hollow bodies.

Dr Gero likes this.
  7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    they do have a fat low end. that can work for anything. not much grindy top end a la rickenbacker or fender jazz, but as long as you go into it expecting that i think it will be fine.

also some originality is nice - a black Hofner with gold hardware in a metal setting, i'd be super into it.

Dr Gero likes this.
  8. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Rare but occasionally out there:
    1965 Vox Model V-232 Solid Body Electric Violin Bass Guitar 100% Stock w/ohc
    Ibanez Violin Style Bass Guitar 1960's Sunburst

Here's a (not necessarily complete) list:
    violin bass gallery

The turn-of-century Epiphone EB-1 may pop up a little more easily than others; the Eastwood EB-1, as mentioned above, is in production:
    NBD-Eastwood EB-1 (and the rest of the thread)

Dr Gero likes this.
  9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    And Ringo shouting out "I got blisters on my fingers!" at the end.
    One guy I know still insists it's John!

ICM likes this.
  10. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Hmmm...not so sure about that. CTs are certainly less hollow than the fully hollow models, but I think the sound (playing experience) has more in common with a hollow bass than a slab. I'm sure the floating bridge is a significant factor, too...not sure exactly what to attribute to the bridge vs. the semi-hollow body, but at any rate, even the CTs have a lot more air in the tone than a typical slab. (The real benefit of the center block is no neck dive on a strap.)

11. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    That hasn't been my experience, but that's okay. Also, I don't usually have neck dive on my hollow body Hofners. When I use a nylon strap I do, but not with leather straps.

fermata likes this.
  12. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    What's the best cello for metal?

Wisebass and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  13. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I don't know about ironically but angrily might help. I think, in order to make a Daisy Rock metal, you would have to do the following:

Strap it to a zombie, impale the zombie on a big spike, then, as it thrashes around, come up from behind and play it while it's on said zombie.

pcake likes this.
  14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    what if you paint the daisy flat black with a few obvious bloody streaks and add black hardware? I'D play that for metal :D

Mister Boh likes this.
  15. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
  16. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah, that's a great deal. I've bought a few of the handmade German pedals from them annd they're great!

17. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Tommy stinson likes the violin basses but in interviews he CLEARLY STATES he never used them in Guns N Roses because they don’t have the proper tone for the music. Also in the days of The Replacements he didn’t have the Hofners yet. He used a Ric early on and switched mainly to P basses for most of his career. And in recent years when the Mats got back together he used his ESP signature vintage 4 basses. He only uses the Hofners for certain recording purposes

18. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

Never said he used them on stage with a particular band, just that he's used them from time to time. Thanks for the clarification though.

On a side note, Alain Johannes (touring bassist with Them Crooked Vultures among many other things) has been known to us a Rogue VB100 on stage with that band.

19. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    That sounds like the best/most unlikely Canterbury/California mash up ever

Have you met Uncle Angus? 90aacbb5b292bea24def971c6f8589c3.jpg

Dr Gero likes this.
  20. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Multi-platinum rock stars can wear whatever the " " they want

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021