1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Violin Bass Opinions??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michelin97Bass, Feb 13, 2013.

1. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

It's a Starfire, a very cheap Asian violin bass. If you want an inexpensive, but good, Violin bass, go for an Epiphone, Jay Turser or a Douglas, which would be much better. A Hofner Icon or Ignition is nice too (and very close to the real thing) but they are in the $400 range.

2. Ok so would something like this be better?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/thorneside/guitars-amps/beatle-bass-guitar/1011646549
    :confused:

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    I got turned off by Hofner's price inflation and 8 zillion of "wanna look like Paul" basses.
    I did get a Greco violin bass(SOLID body, humbuckers, my lightest bass with sustain forever) in white. I've only seen them in white or speedbump yellow. It is a real shoulder-saver on shows > 4 hours or days where multiple 3~4 hour shows get booked.
    3258166012_zps9d73f835.
    GrecoFace01_zps36ef892b.

It was $178 in 2008(at Ishibashi Japan) which wound up being(with shipping and wire transfer fee) about $330 to my door. Note that Japanese discount a LOT for any blemish on a bass and this one had "wear" in the usual places(near the jack, where it rests on your leg, some dents from belt buckles, etc.).
    http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/

El Pelusa likes this.
  4. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    Why? It's a solid body with a hi-mass bridge. Won't sound anything like a Hofner or any other semi-hollow violin bass. That said, those pickups look bad-ass.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 I have two 68 Greco violin semi-hollow basses and a Hofner CT which I love and is my favorite bass but any of the basses mentioned above with some Labella Beatles Flats should get you close enough to the sound of a Hofner.