VVT tone pot going on PJ -- taking suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Usidore T Blue, May 6, 2018.

Squier PJ tone control replacement

Poll closed May 13, 2018.
  1. Blend

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Varitone

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. Switch

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. Replace it all with EMGs

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. Bypass the tone control

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Just Volumes

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. No pots at all

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Orange caps are made with carrots

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Just what does the TB gang think "varitone" means? I've encountered at least four quite distinct things called varitone or Varitone(R).

2. from the top google result
    Mod Garage: Varitone Wiring, Reloaded and Extended | Premier Guitar

Usidore T Blue likes this.
  3. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    I thought it was a bunch of caps tied together on one end, splayed across a 12-way switch on the other.

4. What KBD pictured for us is a variable capacitor. Not to be confused with the different iterations of vari-tone devices.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Thanks for the opinion! I completely agree about the useful range of the tone knob, which for me is within about two notches short of off, but of course that is one of the things I don't like about it--I would like it to be useful over its entire range, not ugly over 80% of its travel. I think a "switch and blend" might get me where I want to go. I believe Pops OB suggested this, and flats, waaay back there?

Or maybe a huge, radio-servo-controlled, off-board variable capacitor. Just run the wires right through the frnt. :)

Pops OB likes this.
  6. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    I thought the question was unconnected to the quote.

7. I saw the pic of the variable cap as one of the quotes tied in with the 12 way switch comment.
    I dunno, disconnected? Probably. Didn't mean nothin by it. Can I buy ya a drink?

8. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    I did this to my VM Squier PJ which never sounded right with the original blend pot. I now get a totally pure growly P bass tone and clean burpy Jazz bridge PU tone. The middle setting is kinda meh...slightly scooped and a bit soft sounding which I've no interest in at all.

baTassi and Usidore T Blue like this.
  9. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Not a criticism--I was trying to explain my own unconnected reply. I'm not good at this!

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  10. Let's be bad, together. :ninja::ninja:

Usidore T Blue and cheechi like this.
  11. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I agree that the VVT is a pretty damn good way to go. It works really well on a J bass, especially with linear taper volumes to get finer blends.
    However, P/J basses just don't blend as well as a regular J (to my ears). The P pickup is almost always having to be lowered and the J raised to balance volumes. The pickups are different enough that they also sound kinda funky when blended. That said, I tend to use P/J basses as an enhanced P. The P pickup is 100% pretty much all the time with occasional 50/50 blends with the bridge PU for that scooped, quasi Jazz Bass tone. The 3 way switch makes a lot of sense on a P/J. You can then switch to the soloed P pickup and have it not loaded down by another pot.
    My 99 US Deluxe P has the double J bridge PU and it blends with the P pickup rather well. That is probably in part to some smart engineering and in part having the active preamp buffering the pickups.
    My Peavey Forum Plus with active P and J PUs just doesn't sound as full, it has wackier and sharper comb effects when blending. It's getting a passive makeover with Wilde P46/J45, an ungrounded, no load 250K M/N taper blend and 500K Vol and Tones. I was going to get a switch, but found the blend pot in my parts drawer. The no load mod with ungrounded wiring is just as isolated as a switch when set to the extremes of it's range.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021