1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wal Bass Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Sep 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Meh :meh: Same finish as the JG.......awesome price though!

graphics1988 likes this.
  2. Was waiting for this! Lol

graphics1988 likes this.
  3. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I thought you were speaking to why I had 2 Eden's and was seeing if they had differences. I was also just going thru them for my friend who was buying them to basically resell them. The only reason I even considered one of those or a eden was the ability for it to run dual 4 or 2 ohm loads. I didn't want to mess with a cab box to change the load to use heads at 8ohm since then headroom may be an issue on some amps. That's why i've been shopping for amps that can run a 2 ohm load. My drummer is insanely loud to boot and usually play with no PA support other then vocals ad kick drum. The other reason I'm even amp shopping to begin with is the way I run my SVT Vs changes on the fly. By that I mean I bridge the channels on the SVT and run both preamps. The first channel is my low and mids and the second is my highs. When the situation comes up where I have to adjust my volume I have to adjust/blend both channels together to get back to the sound I'm after. My list of amps is pretty short so I'm looking for 2ohm or dual 4 ohm amps I can get ballpark what I have now and have the ease of 1 volume knob. Which is just one of the few reasons I'm amp shopping (weight/DI/backup to name a couple more). The other option was some kind of volume change in my signal path but then it didn't hit the SVT input the same and then would sound duller. Your rig is way more complex then mine. How to you adjust volume and what not at gigs?

EDIT: Forgot the setup question. Everthing was seeming good before with the dunlops then the EB's till the EB's turned into flats, lol. So I just figured go back to dunlops since I was cool with those. The only reason I tried the Hi beams was to possibly be more consistent with tones between basses. I put Hi beams on my spector and it sounds amazing. I thought they may be even closer if they both had the same strings.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup there's two 4 string available on facebook Wal page:
    sunburst Pro2E
    walnut Mk1

and of course Bworm's maple fretted 6 string.

5. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

My American Walnut Mk2 fretless too :thumbsup:

6. What cab(s) were you planning on using/trying with the 2001RB?
    As far as adjusting volume at gigs, i do it at sound check (because all venues are different) for initial stage presence/volume, while we are all playing. If i didnt have p.a support, and didnt have wireless...i would just have a long cord and stand out where the crowd would be and adjust from there. I havent had to do this in a very long time, as there is p.a support in every bar/club up here.

7. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Interesting about your findings.

SIT sent me a set of their new nickels to demo January of last year (2017) and I put them on my 78 StingRay… and they're still on there! they sound like new still it's incredible.
    They are a lil stiffer than I ultimately prefer. but I should get ahold of a 40-100 set to try.

8. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Rig pic from yesterday. Finally have a new phone with a working camera. Berg nv215 and older Mesa loaded with legends.

Attached Files:

9. So those are both 4ohm cabs?

10. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I should probably give them a bit longer. I spent the first half of practice with the Spector and my ears may of been a little burnt by the time I got to using the Wal. I have a gig this Saturday and will just leave them be for now.

Caca de Kick likes this.
  11. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Yup and run the SVT at 2 ohms via the main and ext speaker jacks on the back of the amp.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I’d never met a Wal in person.
    The guitar player for the band I subbed with last night brought his 30+ year old Wal and let me play it.
    It was glorious.
    Very bright and articulate and not at all what I expected two big humbuckers to sound like.
    If I could ever find one, and have the funds for one, I’d for sure think pretty hard about that.
    Very thumbs up.

PazzoBasso, djaxup, bdgotoh and 12 others like this.
  13. Ok, so you wont be able to use the 2001 in bridged mode, but you can use the mono and daisy chain your cabs and get that 2ohms. That will give you 540 watts rms.
    Head i believe is about 40lbs

14. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Yeah my SVT is a 74 and close to 90lbs without the road case. Gonna try the GK one cab a side and both on one side to see how it reacts. The SVT really likes being ran at @ 2ohms maybe the GK is the same... or maybe it dies. fingers crossed.

15. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Being multi coil pickups, it's four humbuckers in each pickup (one humbucker for each string, in each pickup casing). And then they're fully adjustable for balance for each string from there.

16. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    While I still have my lovely old Mesa diesel 215, I know it's old tech for handling any kind of modern day lows.
    I would think your Berg 215 dominates over the diesel 215, no? I'd be more inclined to run two heads, keeping the side A clean into the Berg cab, and then use the diesel as B side dirty.

BTW, I see you have the Shure wireless. I love mine too!

17. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    I got it with aftermarket speakers. Currently its loaded with eminence legend cb158's. Not as much high end as a EVM but good low mids and lows. They compliment each other well. The berg has a bit more sizzle and slightly scooped compared to the Emi loaded diesel. I have my eyes peeled to replace the mesa at some point with 12's. preferably a berg nv412 :D Before the wal I had a peavey 215 with BW's and it was way too much high end with little lows. Was perfect with the mesa and slightly darker basses but had to go when I got the wal. Ive thought about 2 heads but never have any luck when blending 2 rigs together. and yeah, love the wireless. I don't notice any tone loss.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Caca de Kick likes this.
  18. These are 2 very distinct requirements that don't always match up. :) All the same, a Wal Mk3 6-string is on my wishlist.

19. toothguy

toothguy Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2007
    F62D40C2-70BB-4794-B4F8-2642C01AEAFA.
    Club number please.

kasroc, HeavyJazz, gmacg and 7 others like this.
  20. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    Your lucky day... @BWorm just put his brand new one in the Classifieds... now just to find the cash...

TolerancEJ likes this.