1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wal Bass Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Sep 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. TheScubaCult

TheScubaCult

Feb 5, 2019
    @Toolmybass thanks for the info. Gentlemen, bare with my line of inquisitiveness for a sec: @Caca de Kick I'm aware of microphonic iso. And was thinking about the residual too. So, when I peered down through the bobbins and the threaded spacers with a magnifying glass, the holes appeared 100% sealed from the coils. How could wax permeate through to get into the slug threads?
    So I thought: Maybe the slugs were lightly dipped in paraffin, too, ensuring against additional rogue vibration, while also serving to keep the poles stationary as a precautionary redundancy? Any thoughts? One slugs goes in quite easily and I want to avoid any slippage from my heavy handedness. All my saddles used to bottom out on the side closest to me from playing so hard, until a guitar buddy told me about the nail polish drop trick.

I've emailed Paul to see what he has to say, but I wanted to check with you all and your experience with working and tweaking them. I'll report back. Peace.

Musicman1901 likes this.
  2. TheScubaCult

TheScubaCult

Feb 5, 2019
    No worries, my friend! I just wanna do it right. I have the pickup springs compressed almost as low as they'll go and some of the poles recessed just shy below the bobbin. If not, the signal is too hot for how I play. And my master volume is at 75%. Just trying to catch up w/ all the techie stuff :thumbsup:

Toolmybass and Musicman1901 like this.
  3. toothguy

toothguy Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2007
    May be a dumb question, but, what’s “the nail polish trick”?

4. TheScubaCult

TheScubaCult

Feb 5, 2019
    Once you set the height of your saddle; you put a small, single drop over the allen (hex) head. When it dries, it hardens and keeps the saddle from moving down. It's easily removable (via nail polish remover) if you ever need to change it again. (Some people like super glue, but I think it's messier because it tends to be thinner and stickier, and therefore, not as controllable)

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You can use nail polish as a thread locker aka a very mild 'loctite'. You can use white school glue too, Ive seen repair guys use wax too. Its easy to still move screws of need be. If you actually use Loctite on these dinky little screws you'll never get them to move.

6. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    If this works, there's no reason to go unscented. There are many options that can help soothe and relax you as you play... such as Freesia, Jasmine, or Sandalwood. Just sayin.

7. toothguy

toothguy Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Makes perfect sense. Thank you for the info.

8. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Great White North
    If you are finding the bass “too hot” you can adjust the output from witin the control cavity.
    The Master Output is the small blue square with a white center that is slotted. Its the closest one to your battery.
    This will allow you to reset your pup and pole heights back to factory “recommendation” specs and then adj to taste with the output turned down.
    221D6808-F6F7-4CE1-8198-2A2E1A09107B.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    graphics1988 and BWorm like this.
  9. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    gmacg, kulit17, frankzelf and 7 others like this.
  10. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    :thumbsup:

11. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Before and After shots... 1E89F6D2-1EA3-4042-99FF-17ED14936F92. 55AB5AC2-9AFF-4EBE-9B6E-EE1AFEE794EA.

I can not believe how comfortable this bass feels... 8.2 lbs feels almost like nothing, especially when your first impression of a Wal was a 12 lb shedua six string. I play my mk1 a lot.. and I have spent some time with a 4 string Mk2, as well as a five string Mk2. This 4 string Mk3 was the final version I had left to try and spend some time with. Kind of speechless to say the least.

12. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I like it Bob! I just like the curvy tuners more, especially on a curvy bass.

BWorm and Musicman1901 like this.
  13. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Nice - before and after!

BWorm likes this.
  14. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Love that burst....annnd I'm a black hardware fan too. Love it.

BWorm likes this.
  15. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Bass Direct has had a few Wals in this week, the first two flew out in hours at some pretty high prices!
    Now they posted a newer 5 string at 7-Large.... 7 Large! (=9300 US)

I'm sure interested to see if a Fiver sells for more than a Mk2 4 banger which is typically the top of the pyramid.

WAL Mark III Custom (2018) - Wenge :: FOR SALE, On offer, UK, Birmingham, EU, :: Bass Direct :: pre - owned, Warwick, London, Manchester, USA

Chef, you missed your chance, you could have bought it 'cheaper' before it went to consignment.

BWorm and graphics1988 like this.
  16. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I won’t be surprised if that sells within a couple days honestly. With the increase in prices for new Wals+ the long wait time...used prices have just gotten crazy and people are willing to pay it.

17. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
  18. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    That thing is pretty cool looking for an old style Wal. $3,500 isn’t bad either.

2112 likes this.
  19. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Pretty sure that was the same reissue Pro 1 that was sitting on Reverb for a while.

20. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Ya know what surprises me is the massive difference in MK1 prices. I saw that MK1 fretless you had posted about on Facebook and they’re only asking roughly $6,200. I understand part of it is that we are talking a 1988 vs a 2018 but sheesh...3 grand in price difference is massive.