Wal Bass Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Sep 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35

I still haven't super glued the bumpers i got years ago from Paul for my non-Wal branded hiscox and it holds fine. The "pillows" on the top lid of the cases holds it down while the bumpers prevents it from going side to side.

I guess if someone is walking and swinging the case like a madman they'll be some shifting going on, but testing it out, I don't hear any movement.

Here's a pic example of my case with an mk1 and mk3

16342153022725814007037169212631.jpg

16342153563302992750785050239841.jpg

2. syntap

syntap

Dec 7, 2020
    Thanks for that... what about on the neck/headstock area where the top of the neck lays on what looks like a cutout? Looks like with the Mk1 it's toward the center and the Mk2 was to one side. Any concerns there?

Question 2 - you mentioned not supergluing the inserts yet. By that do you mean Paul sent them glued, but you were able to detach them?

3. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35

Sorry I meant hot glue. I acquired an non-Wal branded Hiscox case - STD-EBS for my greenburst awhile back ago. Which does not include any of the bumpers since it's "universal". During one of my orders, I had requested Paul to supply me these inserts.

syntap and BWorm like this.
  4. Gregc57

Gregc57

May 28, 2021
    NY, USA
    Velcro them in?

5. syntap

syntap

Dec 7, 2020
    I thought of that, but I don't know how well the velcro tape would work sticking to case fabric (and may ruin it). So far the idea of putting the inserts in there "loose" for Mk1 travel and using towels to tighten things up a little when the case closes seems like the thing to try. Of course Paul may not want to ship a new Mk1 with loose inserts from UK to USA :)

6. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    Hi all,

To no surprise, my 1996 Mk1 that I sold out of desperation in order to get a new car that I badly needed is up for sale again. I don't hide things... and I'm sure some are dying to know, I sold the Mk1 for $9300 pre Reverb fees. I had originally paid $8200 after credit card fees earlier in the Summer when I acquired it. Just thought I'd say that.

gigetto and djaxup like this.
  7. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    so much drama over a bass.. really unnecessary ... it sold for what the market will fetch... so now we know a "relic" Wal with those options goes for about $9K +/-

Truth is, if you wait 3-4 years you can get it for about the same brand new... how much is that time worth to you? Same thing is happening with Porsche 911's and Rolex watches now... this is the world we live in.

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  8. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    Couldn’t agree more! Thank you!

9. syntap

syntap

Dec 7, 2020
    If you're in the US (like Blackhawks55 and I are), for new one should expect at least a third more after fees and exchange rate markup. For a used $9k Mk1 as a US buyer, the tradeoff is in the age of the bass as well as the "time to wait for new" factor, although 1996 is hardly ancient compared to others recently on the market. Plus one can't get on the waiting list right now, so new in 3-4 years if you aren't already on the list is a big unknown.

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  10. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    is he not taking anymore orders again? Heard the 4 years was down to 3 and he was taking orders...

Blackhawks55 likes this.
  11. syntap

syntap

Dec 7, 2020
    That would be welcome news to a lot of people :) But the web site still says wait times are over 4 years and they aren't taking new orders. ref Order/Contact - Wal Basses , then click "How to Order".

Blackhawks55 and SamJ like this.
  12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That's kinda what I was getting at. Sure once it's here you should be fine walking with your bass in the case, even without bumpers at all.
    But that first trip it will get carelessly handled, knocked, and even might turned and travel upside down.

Attached Files:

13. jah-ith-ber

jah-ith-ber

Friday
    nice! what car did you end up getting?

14. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    Member since today
    One that has 4 wheels. Member since today.

mikeswals likes this.
  15. LowEndHum

LowEndHum

Feb 28, 2017
    USA
    PXL_20210509_005659028.jpg

16. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Curiosity has the best of me. I noticed you left the pickup height as is (high on the old one, low on the new one).
    Aren't you experiencing a difference in output? I guess unless you trimmed the pot in the old bass. But then you'd still get more grind from the higher set pickups.

17. LowEndHum

LowEndHum

Feb 28, 2017
    USA
    Forgive me as I haven't plugged in either bass in the last 2 months or so, but from what I remember, the output is nearly the same. The new one has thicker strings (135-50) which results in a booming sound sometimes so I had to lower the pickups on that one to keep my favorable setup. The older one has regular (105-45) strings but I think I did mess around with the output control on the inside cavity to get the output level to match, or get close enough ( I remember having to get the sound level right for both basses in Logic Pro). You are correct that the older Wal gives a grindier, more shimmering sound while the zebrawood Wal is darker and less bright in a way. It may just be from the strings.

mikeswals likes this.
  18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    fwiw I used the Send Us Your Enquiry form on ^^^that page to say "Please add me to your list to contact once when you are accepting orders again" just last week and I got a lovely note back from Paul. No indication of when they'll be accepting orders again, but it was nice to be acknowledged and get the personal touch.

19. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Starting to clean up boxes of old magazines. Spotted these toward the top.

Attached Files:

20. 21DaHoagie12

21DaHoagie12

Feb 21, 2019
    New Jersey
    Look at that sheer joy on Geddy’s face while playing that Wal :D

kulit17 and mikeswals like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021