Wal Bass Club.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Sep 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. blakest

blakest

Nov 12, 2019
    Southwest USA
    It was shipped Monday and it arrived afternoon today (Wednesday). I received 2 pdf forms for the shipment. You can reply with the info for one of them so if it gets flagged, the info is all there. Mine didn’t get flagged so no hiccups being delivered. Paul stated 6 hours to acclimate before playing. Since I live at 9000 feet in the Rockies I’m gonna give it time. I’ve waited over 2 years, a couple hours can be tolerated.

Now that it’s over, I kinda want a fretless as well. Oh boy.

Bob_Ross, SamJ, Chickenwheels and 4 others like this.
  2. 21DaHoagie12

21DaHoagie12

Feb 21, 2019
    New Jersey
    Oh man, only three year or so until my mk3 5er is done :roflmao:

mikeswals and blakest like this.
  3. syntap

syntap

Dec 7, 2020
    Congrats guy, awesome! Can't wait to see the pics.

4. My biggest fear is that when I get my new Mk2 I won’t be able to bring myself to sell the Mk1 :(

djaxup likes this.
  5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Then don't.
    I've regretted selling any of them.

TrevorR, SiberianKhatru and djaxup like this.
  6. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    I made the mistake of selling my Mk1... and regretted it ever since. :crying:

djaxup likes this.
  7. Tempted to get the old paddle-headstock fretted neck restored and put that on. I’d probably never touch my other basses ever again with both a fretless and fretted Wal on hand.

8. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    @blakest how about some pics!!

@everyone

do we know if paul will accommodate installing different strap locks on the bass? For example Schaller’s? Do I have to send him a set or can he procure? Don’t want to hassle him with an email if someone here already knows.

9. dhagopian

dhagopian

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    He can do it. I asked for them.

LowEndHum and SamJ like this.
  10. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    sweet. Without sending a set I assume?

11. dhagopian

dhagopian

Jun 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yep. There was a nominal charge for it (like 35 GBP) but I didn't send him any.

SamJ likes this.
  12. blakest

blakest

Nov 12, 2019
    Southwest USA
    Here is a couple. One with my modest setup. I'm sure like everyone elses wal, pictures don't quite capture the detail. The stand is only there for the picture. No way would I keep it out and near a door when Im not playing.

Anyways, I couldn't be happier with the end product. I will have this bass until I die.

Attached Files:

bdgotoh, Bob_Ross, djaxup and 19 others like this.
  13. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    beautiful high quality setup there my friend... I had a great Mesa rig back a few years ago with the Strategy tube head, miss it... should sound amazing..

btw... as a foot note, I'm not a 5-string player, so I apparently can't get the pickups with the wood grain (not sure if that's real wood) which makes me a bit jealous!

Enjoy for a long time, and NEVER sell it!

djaxup, rogerbmiller and blakest like this.
  14. Note to self: Order American Black Walnut and get black hardware!

blakest and rogerbmiller like this.
  15. EVOLVEBASS

EVOLVEBASS Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Oh man, that top is spectacular!

16. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Jul 21, 2013
    There's truly No World For Tomorrow. Any Coheed and Cambria fans out there? Taking my 2017 Mk1 for a spin. A Wal in Drop-D just sounds righteous

bigsnack, djaxup, QuesoBass and 4 others like this.
  17. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    random question and maybe has been answered in this thread before but I couldn't' find it..

Does the XLR output on the WAL output instrument or line level? I have a passive DI Box with an XLR line input and wondering if I can plug direct into that via XLR cable?

Also does it accept phantom power?

Any benefit to using the XLR? or even an XLR --> ¼ TRS cable?

18. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The transformer equipped xlr eliminates the use of any DI box...there's no need.
    No on the phantom power.

The xlr is handy when you don't want to use an amp, or record without one. But you have to stick something in the 1/4" jack to turn the preamp on. I keep few old 1/4" radio shack headphone adapters in some of my cases, because I play with one group every now and then and we rehearse all plugged into their PA and use in ears. And a rockaroke band I started to play with also does this (no amps).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    syntap likes this.
  19. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    SFO / HNL
    ok so from what I understand you're saying, to get it to work, you have to put a ¼" dummy in to fool the pre-amp into being hot? And that you CANNOT use phantom power? got it..

So, what is the output level of the Wal XLR? Instrument or Mic? or Line? just curious..

20. I’ve run mine into mic level of my QSC, which gives plenty of headroom from memory.
    You may have seen this, but here we are anyway. 1994 manual/brochure:
    A7211167-BE84-4EED-84F5-E24E1A2081DE.jpeg

Blackhawks55, SamJ and syntap like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021