1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Walnut Veneer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Snort, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Hi I am currently building a 5 String with a maple neck, the head will be veneered in Walnut, I was contemplating making the neck position markers from the same walnut veneer, which would be a great contrast with the very light Maple fretboard. My only doubt is how well the walnut veneer will stand up to the string wear on the neck (Fretted) is it likely to wear out too fast? The intended finish is Poly, but I may try epoxy, what do you guys think?

2. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    Walnut is very hard , shouldn't be problem

3. I agree that Walnut is hard, however, this veneer is paper thin, which will be fine for an area like the machine head where there is no wear, but the fretboard may be a different story?

4. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Coming from someone who does a lot of veneer work in cabinetry:

Why don't you stack several (5-6) layers of the veneer, laminate it together, and then cut your marker plugs from that? I have seen high end furniture makers use this technique when making curved beading accents for curved drawer fronts and doors, using a vacuum bag and plastic resin glue. No reason it wouldn't work in this application. I would not rely on a single thickness veneer for the position markers.

5. I have been playing for more than 10 years and I have never gotten any wear on the fretboard. If you are, you are pressing much, MUCH to hard. Also, if you are using epoxy, there is no way that you are going to wear through that.

lowsound