1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmest sounding pickup?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by IconBasser, Sep 26, 2008.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    howdy y'all!

what would you recommend as a warm sounding DB pickup?

my school's DB has a fishman, and it sounds INCREDIBLY bright and nasally when un-eqed. I hate it.

thanks.

-your friendly neighborhood IconBasser

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The Realist is the most organic imho.

3. merefox

merefox

Sep 3, 2007
    Realist , But when low volume

check , ron carter's old tone

4. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    cool! Thanks guys.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The Realist is great if you understand a it's limitations.

1. You cannot play it at high volumes

2. It will probably wear out in around 4 years

3. It will feed back if you are in close proximity to the amp.
    (of course this is true for other pickups as well)

Ric

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I've played plenty of rock clubs and large outdoor venues with mine. You just have to know how to work with it.

I've had the same one on my german ply for 10 years. (watch it'll crap out tonight)

This is true and where a good HPF comes into play. I use the Fishman Platinum Pro but I've heard of lots of guys having nice results with fdeck's thing. I've played at (what I would consider) silly volumes and been able to tame feedback with my Fishman.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Are you plugging directly into the Amp? If so you probably need a preamp.
    Otherwise it will sound bright and nasally like you describe.
    Many regular bass amps aren't equiped to handle a very high impedance pickup.

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I'll second that! It's the first thing that came to mind when the OP said "bright and nasally."

To the OP: If you're not loading a piezo pickup with at least 1 MOhm, most will sound exactly as you describe.

9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Which Fishman are we talkin'? All the eq and preamps in the world are not going to make the BP-100 sound anything but thin and nasally.

10. I have to disagree with you there. It really depends on the bass. I have the BP-100 on my main bass (an 80 year old Juzek) and it sounds defined but warm. It also has the greatest dynamic range of any pickup I've ever used. A preamp is absolutely required though. I rarely have to EQ it either. In fact, depending on the room, I sometimes plug it into the effects return of my Focus III bypassing the EQ.

Now to be fair to your comment, out of the 8 basses I've owned, the BP-100 was completely unusable on 5 of them. Thin and nasally would be complimentary to what it sounded like.

Based on my extremely small (and therefore unscientific) sample, the BP-100 seems to work well with old carved basses and not well or at all with newer or plywood basses. All of the basses that I couldn't get it work on were either plywood or made post 1970.

mark

11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Sure. There is a guy here is Chicago that has a BP-100 and gets a decent sound. I heard Dan Burglund from EST using one and he got a nice sound (albeit on the electricy side).

I had one a tried it on 3 different basses. With preamps. Awful. I would never recommend to anyone that they check that pickup out.

12. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    OK, so the BP-100 only sounds horrible on 95% of basses.

So, I still think I will pass on that one, thanks. :D

13. Hmm ... I've been using the Realist with my AI Coda -- until I heard a recording from my line out. It's hard to evaluate a P/U when you're also hearing your bass acoustically. Yeah the realist sounds fine "at low volumes" because you're hearing a mix of realist and acoustic. After hearing just what my realist sounds like on tape, I took it off. Now I'm getting by a SM57 mic in the tailpiece.

It did actually sound pretty good bowed, but not pizz -- for me anyways.

14. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    For that matter I have never heard a recorded 'dreaded direct' that sounded like a DB and I have worked in a few different studios and live sound situations. I do think though that the designers of DB pickups really only have live applications in mind.

15. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    There is no such thing as a warm sounding DB pickup.

I'd recommend that you experiment with a preamp/EQ before moving on from the Fishman.

16. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Unfortunately, with my bass, if I have to really crank the Realist it begins to sound harsh, the attack shortens, and the tone quality changes, but that may only apply to my particular situation. The HPF really helps with
    low frequency feedback but it won't get me past the volume threshold where the bass begins to sound like it's strung with Weed Whacker Strings. :D

Ric

17. How about trying the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ + for bass?
    I have found mine to be very useful and flexible for a number of situations.
    It should at least help the OP's pickup sound better by buffering the impedance, and if a different Pup is needed, it should prove useful for whatever you end up with, either into an amp or for eq'ing for the DI, or both.
    Just my 2 cents.

18. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Must be lucky. My Realist is still going strong 11 years later. Agree about the volume issue, can't play it loud without muddiness.

19. JazzCat_88

JazzCat_88

Jun 13, 2006
    Singapore
    Try an AKG C411. Needs phantom power, but stick it on the right spot on your bass, and you can get away with no EQ. Takes a bit of experimentation with the positioning though...

20. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    True dat. I mostly try to avoid situations where I have to be that loud.