1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Was this a good buy?...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Claymore, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    A0FD6C69-AF45-4DB9-A749-A093B9602455.jpeg Just purchased this late 70s Guild b301 online from Cream City Music in Brookfield, Wisconsin. It was only listed a couple of days ago and already had 24 people watching it and 2 bidders, so I paid the asking price because it was reasonable, in my estimation. $700 plus $50 shipping. The seller says it was set up at their shop and "ready to play on arrival" and the tuners, electronics, pickup, truss rod and everything is original and fully functional. Neck is straight with no issues and frets show "almost no wear"...Assuming that all of the above is true, did I get this instrument for a decent price? The only other b301s I can find online are going for $1,000+ but they are in slightly better cosmetic condition. Been looking around online for info but can't find a whole lot. One cool thing about this instrument is that it was built right after I was born only 45mins away from where I live now. That alone makes it valuable to me but sentimentality aside, do you think I paid what it was worth from a resale perspective? I don't plan on getting rid of it but in the future, who knows. Just trying to get an idea of its general value. 0B7E0ABD-291E-4D6F-BE3C-C2DEC5EFA546.jpeg ECA62E87-F545-47DF-8F0B-32524979FFAD.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  2. Looks like a winner if you're happy with it.

3. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    A very cool and underrated vintage instrument. Enjoy!

4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Seems reasonable-I really like instruments that show this much honest wear. Frets are probably leveled as they look a little low and wide. Looks like flats on there, which is good for the remaining life of the frets.
    When it comes in, the play test will be the deciding factor. If you like it, it's a great deal!
    I played a B302 once and really liked it. Kind of an East Coast take on the Ric. Passed on it because it was natural, though the asking price was $650, which was well worth it. If it were black, there would have been a NBD post here.

TN WOODMAN and Claymore like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Guilds of that era are great instruments - always underappreciated. Whether it was a good but can only be decided by you.

6. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    If it is as advertised, you got a great buy. A friend had one of these I got to play some. Comfortable neck, good sound. The only thing you may have to adjust to is a bit of neck dive.

7. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    These are well-built, great-sounding basses. If it's fully functional with no major flaws you've done OK price-wise.

I'm a big fan of Guilds from this era and my only real gripe with them is the bridge design. But, if it arrives with a setup to your liking, just leave it "as-is", play and enjoy.

8. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I think that price is more than fair. From a quality standpoint it's a great deal. As others point out Guild basses are under appreciated and the market is a lot softer than other vintage brands.

I'd have paid that for it, I think you did good :thumbsup:

@Jon Clegg is in the middle of recreating 2 versions of this bass, one as a comission for @Fat Freddy, and one for the winter build off.

Maybe those cats can give you more details :D

9. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    TN WOODMAN, jamro217 and Reedt2000 like this.
  10. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I'm old enough to remember when having a Guild was soooo cool! Looks great!

11. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    What I'm building is a recreation of the Hammersmith Model K which never went into production. It's more like what you'd get if you left a B301 and a RIC 4001 together unchaperoned; back end of B301 with the horns of the 4001.

As for this bass, yeah, I'd say 700 seems reasonable. The cosmetic flaws could be pretty easily fixed if you're so inclined.

Reedt2000, Claymore and Fat Freddy like this.
  12. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Think it's fair to say that Guild were most certainly an inspiration for the bass that Jon is creating for me but what we're actually trying to achieve is a custom version of the Hammersmith "K" bass that never saw it to production...:thumbsup:

Reedt2000 likes this.
  13. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Ha!...Jon beat me to it!...:laugh:...

Reedt2000 and Claymore like this.
  14. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I'm actually glad you brought that up... I feel like there's good wear marks and bad wear marks. The good wear is like when the paint gets rubbed off around the high-friction areas and the bad wear is when a string end scraped across the paint in a high-viz area. This bass has a little bit of both. I'm going to investigate how to remove the unwelcome scratches (pictured) without making it look like I did any work on it. 4C621E92-3F1B-4230-92E1-E6097AC5E075.jpeg

TN WOODMAN, Fat Freddy and Reedt2000 like this.
  15. dramatwist

dramatwist Suspended

Sep 27, 2019
    ...I owned one of these when I lived in NYC... great bass... I paid less than $200 for that one...

Fat Freddy and Claymore like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

got nuthin' --- just wanted to see it.

cool! hope it's 'priceless' for you! :thumbsup:

Fat Freddy and Claymore like this.
  17. ChrisBowsman

ChrisBowsman Gold Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Whether or not it was a good buy depends on who you ask.

If you dig it, and can afford the price, then yes, you made a good buy.

If you ask a bunch of dorks on Facebook, they'll probably tell you that they couldn't handle the slight blemish in the binding on the $400 Chinese Ibanez they just returned to Musicians Friend, let alone all those nasty scratches.

18. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    :roflmao: "Facebook dorks"... Dying over here.

Timmy Liam likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nice!!! An all original Guild B301!

Distinctive look and sound. And for $700 in decent condition with some rather (IMO) attractive legitimate and reasonable age related road wear on it? I like an older instrument that looks like it has a story to tell. What’s not to like?

I think for $750 all in you made a great buy. Congrats on a very cool purchase. Play it well. :thumbsup::)

TinIndian, jamro217, RyanOh and 2 others like this.