Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wayne Jones!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Mar 23, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx to my good bud, Nightbass, he hipped me to a used Wayne Jones, and oh mama, its on its way to me.

big thx to aaron at Bass NW. :cool:

super fat, super freakie Joker review to come in a few weeks.

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    NICE! I spoke to the man in Australia a whiles back & he had 2 "almost new" models available w/covers. He wasn't making anymore at the time & he wanted OVER $600 just to ship them babys to NYC...I told him to keep 'em...

~S~

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I knew that someone would pick up on that cab being there fast. The only problem is that Wayne Jones himself said that you need at least two of them.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't forget, I hit you with a "heads' up!" too! ;)

Let us know how you like it!

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    They are very heavy(MDF construction) & about efficient as or a little better than Acmes. They do have quite a crossover in them though...

~S~

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Time for me to do some research on Wayne Jones cabs. New name to me.

-Mike

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    not if my back has to do anything with that... ;)

speaking of which, aaron mentioned that thx to the recessed handles, carry isnt that bad, considering it also has a very low profile. would also fit the trunk of my accord rather easily, too.

and yea, while i'm a little worried about "customer support" and its lack thereof, i'm pretty psyched that i'm finally gonna own a freakin' wayne jones! no less, broken in nicely, and in terrific condition.

and yea, tom, i was hoping my comment would throw you off for at least one day. :smug:

with a battery of preamps and power amps, i'm ready to kick some butt with this little guy. :bassist:

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    awwwwright Joker....looks like you just added some mo' to yo' bitchin' (cab lineup, that is)...not that you needed it, o' course! :D

Lookin' forward to reading the latest installment of the steadily-growing Joker 210 review archive ... I'm sure I speak for many TB'ers when I say you've been a great help to those wanting to hear how Epis sound vs Accu vs EA vs (soon) Wayne Jones, etc... thanks!

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx Greg,

but i'm pretty sure TomB has contributed waaaay more than i have... ;)

10. Joker.....Congrats!! They are GREAT cabs....I had the pleasure of playing through a pair not once but twice a couple of years ago and they are TIGHT boxes...I can't comment on the single cab except to say I know that Wayne used to say that you really needed a pair to rock...but why wouldn't he if he could sell a pair instead of a single??

I know that the pair was devastating with an Avalon U5 into a Crown Macro reference amp...(must have weighed about 800 lbs :D thank god I didn't have to carry THAT rack around!!) As far as sound, they are very efficient so 1 may be enough for you, (but I doubt it...LOL!!! :cool: !!) As I recall, you could definitely compare them to the Acmes so I think you will dig it....I would start looking for a second now just in case, though!! :D

I guess it will just be matter of time before TomB will HAVE to have a PAIR of his own!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :D ....

GREAT SCORE!!!!!!!

Peace,

T

11. Hi Joker.

Great cab. Looks good to!

Do you have Epifani, Accugroove and Wayne Jones cabs?

I just wondered :)

12. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

You got that right! TomB has to own multiple cabs from EVERY high end cabinet maker :p

Congrats on the score Joker! :D

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, I really do need to update both of those "shootouts." I have since added enough cabs in both categories to make additional comparisons hopefully meaningful.

Some people have drug addictions, I have a bass gear fetish! Truly, I am just very impressed with the products that some of our top manufacturers are putting out, and it gives me great pleasure to experience them firsthand. Of course, sharing our experiences here on TalkBass is the icing on the cake!

I am really looking forward to hearing what Joker as to say about the Wayne Jones cab. You always do a great job on the reviews, and I trust and value your opinion greatly!

It's a good era to be a bass player!

Tom.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i know...

its like a race! :D

well, living around some great shops gives me access to quite a few nice pieces of gear. i have yet to play thru an Accugroove 2x10, which i have a feeling i'd love.

as of now, in the joker stable, i've got a pair of Epifani UL210's, pair of Acme B-1's, an Acme B-4, and soon the Wayne Jones.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    finally got it today!

[​IMG]

unfortunately, didnt get home from work until about 11pm. i like my neighbors, so, i didnt crank it, but i did try it at a relatively low volume. regardless, the WJ's articulation is UNREAL. sooooooooooo detailed and crisp. reminds me of the old NYC Epifani cabs.

interestingly, against my Acme B2 (which i got a few weeks back), at the lower volumes, with the same EQ'ing on the Aguilar, the WJ doesnt quite sound as full or fat. and the low B isnt nearly as thick.

course, tomorrow, i'll be taking it to a friend's church, where we'll really see how it fares... ;) stay tuned...

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nice! It looks like the WJ is taller, deeper, but thinner than the ACME, is that true?

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea about so. and yet, the WJ's alot smaller than i envisioned. still, the carry is pretty hefty for such a small little box. lead bricks is an understatement. :meh:

18. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    IIRC it weighs in at somewhere between the Whappo Jr and El Whappo. Or slightly more than an Acme Low-B4.

The question is, is it even heavier than a VL-210?

Alex

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Au contraire! The real question is how does it sound!?! ;)

20. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It is? ;)

I guess with over 40 cabs in your armoury, compromise is no longer your middle name!

I do think though, that with such huge variation in weight and price between cabs of a nominally similar configuration, it becomes more sensible to compare cabs by weight rather than 2x10", 4x10" etc.

Is anyone making the WJ anymore - last I heard some were being manufactured in Europe under license?

Alex