We bassist are so under appreciated!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eric Albany, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Albany

Eric Albany

May 22, 2011
    We bassist are so under appreciated! We are always second or third to the guitarist(s)! I mean, why can't we be the most dominant sound in a song second only to the singer(s)!?!? It's un fair. And a lot of people don't know what the bassist's name is, but they sure as heck know the guitarists' name and the singer's name. It's drivin me crazy. Plus, we don't get as much respect as the guitarists do. Have you ever heard a kid say "When I grow up, I wanna be a bass player." No it's always "When I grow up I wanna be a guitar player." or "When I grow up I wanna be a drummer." or "When I grow up I wanna be a singer." Does any one else out there feel the same way?

2. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Not at all, actually. I couldn't care less.

3. Skabasskid

Skabasskid

Mar 6, 2011
    When I grow up, I wanna be a bass player.
    Been saying it since 3rd grade =3

4. lowgroove677

lowgroove677

Jan 8, 2011
    I was one of those kids that said " I wanna be bass player when I grow up". As far as your other complaints...I don't get too bent out of shape about that stuff. I do my job musically, serve the song the best I can, and most importantly have a good time. I've learned to make it not about me, but about the song. I play bass because I believe I was made for it, not to get pats on the back or anything like that. But I'm just one of many bass players out there, this is just how I feel.

5. Doesn't bother me. I play bass because I love it, everything else is secondary.

6. Couldn't give a monkeys, i love what i do, i appreciate what i do, the people most important to me appreciate it aswell, and anyone that decides to be seniour ass wipe about anything gets sargent major ass wipe back :D.

Its one of the easiest songs ive played, but spent all of yesturday playing orgasmatron by motorhead again and again, with various amounts of overdrive from my behringer pedal, i love just holding the beat of a song down, and when i finally get into a band of some sort, i wont much care for standing out music wise, just being level or a tad above the drummer, keeping time, rocking it, just having a good time, what other people think doesnt matter to me anymore.

Used to, but ive grown up, and if other people are so childish to be that way, least i know im mature, and they have barely any mental age whatsoever.

Rant over :D

7. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    well, bass IS easier to play because it's only 4 strings.

and it's just root note, root note, fifth, root. NOTE.

8. EatADeadGoat

EatADeadGoat

Aug 29, 2010
    If you're playing bass to be recognized by everyone and be the center of attention, you're going to have to really work to pull it off. It generally doesn't work. Most bassists are A) doing what they're told to do because they're yesmen, or B) the ones who write a good portion of the material, if not all of it, and care more about the music than the attention.

And a lot of the times, it's because of the fact that we do a lot of things that can make it hard to be heard properly. Mid-scooping, distortion (if used improperly) and other things can bury us in a mix. OR, we're heard, but the listener may assume it's the guitarist who did that part.

I had to check my tone. I was using too much distortion, so some of my lines were attributed to the guitarist. I stopped using my stompbox and people were able to tell the difference of who played what more easily. Before that issue, I was mid-scooping. Because of the lack of mids, I couldn't hear a thing I was playing. The lack of punch kept me from being heard. So that may be something you want to do.

And since everyone wants to play guitar or sing, WE get the monopoly on the local music scene.

And remember, a lot of bassists have their own distinctive styles that don't require complete insanity. RyKnow from Mudvayne and Shavo from SoAD for example. Then there's the oddity of people like Claypool, and then just general rock out madness of people like Steve Harris.

9. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Play prog rock. problem solved. :D

10. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Sounds like you need to take up guitar.

11. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement

Do not be deceived by nor take lightly this bit of musicianship one describes simply as BASS...:ninja: }{

12. Eric Albany

Eric Albany

May 22, 2011
    I tried. Guitar and I don't mix at all. I could never find a good enough guitar with a slim enough neck and the right combination of pickups for the right price.

13. mastershake

mastershake

May 12, 2011
    Most people probably don't even know what a bass is.

'Whats the name of that bassist?' (other person) 'the what?'

14. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    It's really what you make of it and what genre you play. You know there are bands that only consists of a bass player and a drummer.

15. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    WAT.

trolls are WEIRD.

and seriously duder. either suck it up or learn to play well enough to be a lead intrument on bass.

TROLLS. WEIRD. makes me ITCHY.

16. Eric Albany

Eric Albany

May 22, 2011
    I'm a solo bassist and singer.

17. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    awesome! so.... what're you *****ing about? if you're playing a gig, how often does somebody call you the guitar player's name?

18. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    i tend to only work with one guitarist, and my last band i mixed our demos..... i had no problem being heard! plus a totally aggressive tone that had no problem being heard onstage in the mix. i refuse to be in the background, sonically speaking.

19. Eric Albany

Eric Albany

May 22, 2011
    I do everything from rock(The Beatles) to death metal(Fear Factory).

20. Eric Albany

Eric Albany

May 22, 2011
    I've never played a gig, I don't do live performances. I don't even record songs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.