1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wedding present woes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ShredderMaximus, Jun 27, 2012.

1. So on I'm gonna be flying out to Cali :)D:D:D:D:D:D:D x infinity) near the end of August to attend my best Buddies wedding to his awesome Fiance', but I have no idea what to get them as a wedding present.

Suggestions?

2. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I've always given chainsaws as wedding gifts.

No. Seriously. I do.

There are very few sights in life better than seeing a big pile of fancy gift boxes with a chainsaw wrapped in ribbons and bows on top.

(Though I usually give 'em something else as well. The last one was some kitchen stuff off of their Amazon wishlist, next one it'll be a large oak barrel of homebrewed bourbon imperial stout).

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Usually a bride and groom will set up a wedding registry and one or more places, so I would start by asking them if they have or if they plan to.
    It makes it real easy to get them a gift that they'll actually have a use for (or something they want).

If they havent, or do not plan to, there are a number of good options; things like household appliances, vacation vouchers, or sentimentalish type things like nice picture frames, wall decorations, customized candles...

Keep in mind these two are starting their lives together, and there are lots of things Im sure they could use.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, check their registry. It's as easy as pie. They decide what they want, you pick how much you want to spend, done.

5. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

If there's a registry, I pick something from that. If there's not, then I fill up a kitchen garbage can with all those little kitchen gadgets that you need but never think of until you're having to make do (bottle opener, chip clips, pot holders, oven mitts, pizza wheel, kitchen timer, etc). Then I toss in a gift card to Lowes or Home Depot and either a 1-year NetFlix subscription or gift card for dinner and a movie out.

But then - I'm practical like that.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Cash.

/thread :)

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    btw, if you're located "close to San Fran" ... how come you're "flying out to Cali?"

8. Been out in Texas for about a year now, and too lazy to change it, and provides a little motivation to move back, as in, so I don't have to change it.

And thanks for the suggestions people, I'll have to check with his bro to see if they are going to have a registry set up. I guess its worth spending some time talking on the phone, something I hate doing...

And also I am totally thinking of getting them a chainsaw now, thats friggin awesome, though my bro-ette in law might prefer something a bit more "practical." :rolleyes:

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    My experience is that the bride is usually the one who's most amused by it.

Remember to tie it up in a big pastel-colored bow, that's important!

10. :D

11. Here lies my biggest conflict, whether to go practical or original, and I'm too broke for both. Especially after plane tickets and a tux rental.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Would a bottle of tequila and a gift card to the local adult toy store be inappropriate?

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Heeeel no, I dont think there is a more appropriate time for a gift like that!

14. Tat2dHeart

No need to wait for a wedding for a gift like that. I'd make up a special occasion for every day of the week if that was the return on my time investment.

15. Tat2dHeart

Note: Buy the chainsaw after you arrive. They won't let you carry it on the plane. Been there. Done that. It's better not to ask.

16. Gaius46

Gaius46

Dec 15, 2010

Oh man that is outstanding. Next wedding I go to that's what they're getting. Though all my friends are married so I don't know when that's gonna be.

To the OP cash is king. My experience has been that the vast majority of people at the vast majority of weddings I've been to have given cash. But that may be a NY thing. Or maybe a Sicilian thing..........

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    How about a book on tantric sex?

18. Hahaha, so sig worthy!

And I'm diggin the tequila/gift card idea too!

TBOT, I'd be lost without you.

19. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA

20. In the past I've given a nice cooler pre-filled with beverages.