1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

weird tube issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flakeh, Mar 5, 2008.

1. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, After I noticed that only 3 of the 4 poweramp tubes in my YBA200 were glowing, I thought I had a blown tube, or something fried. I took out the 4th tube, and switched its position with the third one, and voila, it would glow. When I moved the tubes back into there regular position, the 4th one would not glow. Also, only the first and now fourth tube glow blue. Is this bad? good?

Is this some wacky tube problem? Do I need new tubes?

For the record, the tubes are 2 Svetlana 6550c, 1 sovtek 6550c, and one winged c 6550. This is how it came from the guy I bought it from. It appears its the Sovtek that is glowing only in certain positions.

What say you?

2. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    no one?

TTT

3. Hard to say without looking at the amp, but I'd say your first step, assuming there are no other major issue (bad/lack of sound), would be to get a new set of tubes.

Your best bet by far is thetubestore.com, they're in Ontario and will get them to you fast and for a good price!

Also, the blue glow is not necessarily bad, it's just gas in the tube. Different tubes will glow to different degrees, so with three different kinds of tube in there it's not surprising that they're glowing different.

4. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    i was thinking of a retube, but I'm short for cash. I'm not noticing anything bad, except a little bit of high hiss, which I isolated to the power amp. So maybe a retube is in order. Maybe some KT88's?

Man, Thetubestore is just an hours drive away, sweet!

5. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    could be the tube socket on the fourth socket, or the tubes themselves. get them all tested, replace any ones you find that are bad. obviously if it's glowing blue than it's running hotter than if it's glowing orange or red. probably needs to go to a tech, which as I know intimately, sucks if you are low on cash.

6. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Its only that one tube that doesn't work in that socket. All the other tubes will work with that socket perfectly. I moved the tube in question form V7 (4th socket) to V6 (3rd) and it now works fine. But only 2 of the four tubes glow bright. These are the svetlana's. They all are at about the same temperature, So I am not concerned about that.

being low on cash sucks. I got payments to make. Cell phone bills and financing on my amps and whatnot. Meh. I'm glad I have a job.

7. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Yeah, just be thankfully you don't have to borrow money from your Dad to fix your amp. I have two interviews this week...wish me luck.

If there are any music shops in which you are friendly with, and have an amp tech there, take your tubes out, take them down and have them tested. They shouldn't charge for it.