1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Well, that was fast (flaky bassist content)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thank you for the encouragement! I shouldn't whine too much. I had some very satisfying long term band situations back in olden times. It just hasn't worked out for me probably in the last decade or so. But that probably has a lot more to do with me just not having any more patience. Back in the day, crazy stuff happened constantly, but I'd just deal with it.

2. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    They do though :laugh:

3. Good reading thread. I enjoyed your tale of going to a great band jam and then returning to a alternate musical reality. All that was missing was Rod Serling.
    rodserling.

VerryBerry, oldrocker, edro and 3 others like this.
  4. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    When he came lumbering down the stairs with that thing out in front of him, I rubbed my eyes.

"Is that... is that a 24?"

"Yeaaaah"

I think mistook my look of horror for awestruck admiration.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  5. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    Sage advice

Jimmy4string likes this.
  6. You did the right thing. You would have been miserable and quit anyway. Why prolong the inevitable?

7. yeah, if it ain't for you, then no reason to stick around and make yourself miserable!
    the positive thing out of this, is that you put yourself out there.
    You'll never find a cool band with good music unless you put yourself out there.

8. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    add one more to the "you didn't quit the band you joined" column.
    OP could do them a favor by telling them exactly why he backed out of the project. At least the LS so she knows what you'd be down for in the future. Well, at least I got the impression that you'd have ridden that pony for a while if it had really been a pony and not a rented jackass... Even so, with the band knowing the real reason you bailed, their future reference to you is "dude was interested in the acoustic thing, but wasn't into a bigger sound".
    The 'drunk at rehearsal' bit is a dealbreaker right there in and of itself IMHO. At least he showed you that red flag at the second rehearsal.

tldr: no flakey bass player in this thread

9. DLVlad

DLVlad

Jan 17, 2009
    Ya got in, Ya learned what ya needed to know, Ya got out. Not too inefficient. A drunk drummer always needs someone to drive his equipment for him.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  10. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    It's called a "bait and switch".

11. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    That's where I would have gone with exactly why you didn't want to be in, not vague. The second rehearsal is not what you were sold on in the first.

12. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Classic bait and switch

13. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Jesus, what a s**tshow. Good call getting the hell out of there.

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nothing flaky about quitting a job if you find out you were hired under false pretenses. What would have been flaky was if you stayed.

15. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Well hey, at least they were craft beers and not mass-produced swill. I might be a bit of a beer snob, but at least I'm a positive thinker! OK, kidding aside, you have nothing to feel bad about. They flaked, not you.

BassManKK and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  16. This still makes me laugh -imagining. I picture Thincrappy like:
    freakout.

17. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    Dont blame you there TCT...you did nothing wrong...They switched overnight and never discussed any of that with you beforehand..I feel your pain, but your story was kind of funny....Not now obviously, but all i can say is w-t-f and wow. Unbelievable how ppl can change at the drop of a hat...Sure their not some alien doppelgangers or something.

18. ThinCrappyTone

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Ooh gawd. Hadn’t considered that!

19. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba... Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Sounds like they had a good thing going til the bass player showed up, then all hell broke loose.

Seriously though, someone might have mentioned that the acoustic thing was temporary during the first meet. Bailing after they do a complete 180 is not a dick move, it was the right move.

20. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    upload_2019-3-14_18-25-3.

Jimmy4string and ThinCrappyTone like this.