1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Well, that was fast (flaky bassist content)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Mar 14, 2019.

1. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Definitely one of my come-hither visions of Hell. Thanks for sharing the pain.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  2. Nevada Pete

Nevada Pete Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    From what you said OP, it sounds like your singer was just as horrified as you were. Have you talked to her personally about what happened? She did offer you a gig. Maybe agree to stay in touch?

pcake and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  3. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    We had a lead singer who liked to hoot. Great singer but the minute he lit up he forgot EVERYTHING ..His brain was like an etch-a-sketch..turn it around and it's all gone.. you did the right thing.

4. This was pure bait and switch. You did right.

5. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    You broke no commitments and you absolutely did the right thing. You fell into a classic Bait and Switch scheme and took the only reasonable way out.

6. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Had somewhat of a similar experience, only from the standpoint of the hiring band. In college I played in a group that needed a new drummer. We auditioned a few guys and finally found one that was just incredible. Played his ass off at the audition, got along well with everyone, learned all the material very fast and very well. Our first gig with him was on the university quadrangle in front of about 2,000 people. He showed up tripping balls on LSD. Could not play. We had to cancel. He got cancelled too.

ThinCrappyTone and Coot like this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just before bailing, I would have said "gee...you sound much better as an acoustic ensemble".

Riis

pcake and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  8. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    I have learned that life is way too short to not be honest with yourself and others. Do the things that bring you joy and don't linger in situations that do not, unless you have an obligation be to do so.

You did the right thing IMO.

9. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    That was a good read.

10. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    gah... what a horrible missed opportunity

11. Vooter

Vooter Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Bronx, NY
    Ridiculous...I would have walked, too...probably as soon as I knew the guy was drunk...

12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Six pages and we are all in agreement that the OP did the right thing.

Way to go, people.:thumbsup:

13. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Atypical TB!

14. PeterF

PeterF Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    North East Wisconsin
    I’m with you bro.

Harder question is what do you do if the ONLY problem is the volume (crept up in rehearsal). Too D loud at 1 st gig. Couldn’t hear anything etc. Now lead player doesn’t want to turn down. I was direct. “We’re too loud. Can’t hear anything “. Otherwise love the music dig the guys having fun But earplugs at rehearsal. 1 more talk? 1 more gig or ultimatum? My bad in this is I’ve stayed through many rehearsals. Don’t say it every time. ( BTW I’m the oldest cat in the band by over a decade)

15. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree with all of this. Definitely smart to bail, but it's no shame and probably the right thing to do to say "I loved the acoustic group but a loud rock band is not what I'm into.

The desire to do things louder and bigger seems to be a bit of a disease among musicians. The Trio I play with recently expanded to a quartet and now a quintet. After swapping out the guitar players the sound of the group is honestly quite good. However, I'm not sure it's financially viable anymore in the way the lead singer/leader would like. Paying 5 guys is alot different than paying three. The leader is a great standup guy and I'm still getting my fee, but I wonder how the $ situation comes out on the leaders end.

16. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Lot's of bands, when invite you, gives you a different kind of demos and stories, after 1st or 2nd rehearsal all changes a lot and that is how it usually ends.

17. PeterF

PeterF Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    North East Wisconsin
    Yeah. Been there. The only issue so far is the volume and we’re playing for fun so I think I’m gonna wear the plugs an smile but SUGGEST we could all hear better if we turned down. Lots cheaper then a full set of in ears

18. slapshot

slapshot

Dec 22, 2018
    I would call the singer and explain to her why you are declining the gig. Let her take it up with the drummer. That way, you don't burn any bridges.

Nevada Pete and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  19. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    At least you didn't run into these guys. e1bb2397fdfdaf5ab49a377cb9a823624b2a21195ab35f7bb9a2f5eb33c60931.

20. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Classic bait and switch.