1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Well, that was fast (flaky bassist content)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ThinCrappyTone, Mar 14, 2019.

1. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Seems strange that the recordings that they had done didn't reflect the vision of what they were trying to be. I understand doing the acoustic stuff because they didn't yet have a bass player, but I would assume that for studio work they would have layed stuff down that was more like the rock band they say they are trying to be.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  2. Swingin

Swingin Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2018
    Yuck. I’d have been so pissed. But also too awkward with confrontations to say anything right away.

3. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    This reference made reading the post worth it! :D:D:D

You did the right thing by calling and quitting. I dont think your flakey at all.

4. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Words to live by, fellas.

SactoBass and Thumpr like this.
  5. Ralph Manak

Ralph Manak Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The drummer moved the goalpost, turning the entire future into something you weren't signing up for.

Reminds me, in an inverted way, of a guitarist I once auditioned for. The drummer did not show up, and after a couple of songs he insisted that I cover the drum part because he needed to hear it in order to play. Just insane, these fantasies.

The first session with them does sound good, though.

ThinCrappyTone and oldrocker like this.
  6. MG Wolf

MG Wolf

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    I've spent YEARS (and small fortunes) in similar situations, GOOD on you OP for cutting to the quick and breaking clean. :thumbsup:

ThinCrappyTone and SactoBass like this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    you shouldn't feel bad - you're not flaky; they bait-and-switched you. what you committed was the band you heard originally, the same band you rehearsed with week 1. no one told you before you joined OR after reheasal 1 that the music/band would now be changing to a completely different style.

and were i you, i'd have told them why i quit instead of being vague. then you wouldn't have to worry about being thought flaky AND if the singer were actually horrified, this might be extremely valuable feedback for her.

what happened with them was like joining a jazz band and discovering that all the songs are now death metal. i don't think i know a single person who wouldn't have quit.

ThinCrappyTone and SactoBass like this.
  8. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    tell them what drew you in in the first place and, that if they want you, that's what they need to do to keep you.

9. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    A bait-n-switch!

Interesting read, thanks

You shouldnt feel bad as you did nothing wrong

10. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Did they even mention that little detail about the acoustic thing being "temporary"?

I would have told them the "small acoustic" thing works for them and you, the "full rock" thing didn't seem to work for ANYONE!

11. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    People who just want to be loud are not musicians. They are just people who want to be loud.

12. Skip Chucker

Skip Chucker

Dec 9, 2018
    Eastern NC
    Wow, you were catfished! Nothing to do but walkaway...

ThinCrappyTone, SactoBass and pcake like this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Having read your post, and several other posts, all I can add is that you should sleep well tonight. They pulled a bait n switch on you. You didn't flake on anyone.

Just shoot a message over to the female singer saying they you're sorry you turned their Dr.Jeckyll band into Mr.Hyde. ;)

14. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Sometimes the "flaky bass player" rep is because bass players know there's another gig, so are less likely to sit for nonsense.

OP- you did the right thing imo...maybe talk to the singer and see if she agree with you, maybe make a new band. ;)

15. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    I don't need to read the whole thread. You were 100% correct to decline what it changed into. You were also 100% flakey, only because you were vague in why you left. You mentioned liking how it was an "adult" project then you were anything but as far as saying why you were no longer interested. That's something that definitely rubs me the wrong way.

ThinCrappyTone and pcake like this.
  16. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The 2nd rehearsal was a double deal breaker. First, they changed the format of the band. Second, the drummer gets drunk. I have no problem with having a few “pops” to keep your whistle wet, but getting sloppy drunk just shows lack of respect for the other band members and their time.

17. 6Bass101

6Bass101

Apr 2, 2016
    Fort Mill, SC
    I would have bailed too. But, I would have been straight forward and said I committed to the small footprint, acoustic thing that was presented to me, and if that's not what this is going to be, then I'm sorry but I can no longer commit.
    In my opinion, your only "dinkyness" was in giving the vauge reason for leaving. But, it's mostly on them for not being clear from the beginning.

18. It would’ve been simple to say that the band you commited to at the first rehearsal is not the one that turned up to the second rehearsal. You liked the first band and thought that’s what you were going to be working with.
    What you bailed from is not what you commited to.

19. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

TCT: regarding your decision to walk away from that misrepresentation:

"You have chosen............wisely."
    [​IMG]

gln1955 and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  20. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    You did nothing wrong and shouldn’t feel one little bit bad about how you handled it.