Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

West Memphis Three

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i just watched the "paradise lost" documentaries again.

possibly the most disturbing thing on film.

It is truely horrifying watching the legal system break down like that.

anyone seen em? it's basically the salem whitch trials happening in 1993.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope. Is it about witches?

-Mike

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not quite that light-hearted. http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Never seen the movie in question, not sure that I'd want to considering the subject matter.

Also considering the subject matter, I'd give this thread a shelflife of about 20 minutes. Way too much potential for people's political agendas to come out.

4. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    everyone should watch it.

It will shock you make you drop your jaw like you never thougt possible. not from gorry murder details but from watching a trial play out like that. it is truely scary.
    '
    '
    '
    '

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I trust Adam, so I'll stay away from it. I realize that the world is a gory, sick place, but that doesn't mean I have to voluntarily subject myself to it.

-Mike

6. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    the film is focused on a trial gone south more than gory details. if your into documentaries this is the most highly praised one to date.....but if your not into stuff like that....yeah don't watch it. i'm a junky for reality:bassist:

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've been wanting to sit down and watch this, but just never have. We'll be watching it in one of my classes later this semester, so that made me happy. I'll be interested to see how it's worked into the curriculum of a Judicial Process class.

8. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yup.

my favorite scene is where the prosecution brings in a guy who is supposed to be a expert on cults and satanic rituals.

(the murders are clearly done by a serial killer who knew exactly what he was doing....ie..there was almost NO evidence left behind and the creek area was obvioulsy just a diposal spot).

anyway the little arkansas town is in satanic cult hysteria (which doen't really exist.....at least i've never heard of one being active).

anyway the guy they bring in turns out to have a mail order degree and has never taken any classes and has no training....which he admits to on the stand....then he says it's his opinion that the crime was done by a cult... lol!!!!

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I haven't seen or heard of the movie, but I bet I know who the "expert" is. He is a guy from my home town, who had a mail order degree, and was getting flown all over the world and paid hefty fees to consult on "cults". He was eventually exposed as a fraud.

10. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    haha nice. scary stuff!!! i'm never wearing black again!!! at least not in arkansas :)

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ah, OK. Then I will make an effort to check it out.

-Mike

12. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    make sure you get the first one. the second one is more of a follow up and doesn't concentrate on the case as much....probably wouldn't be that intersting if you haven't seen the first one..

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    NOTE:I am trying to stay non-political or whatever so this doesn't end up in the Lobby. MODS, please feel free to edit my post in any way to keep this thread here.

I haven't had the chance to see the documentary yet. I have been trying to follow the case since I heard about it in '98. Luckily, the web has made getting info and support for them a little easier.

Please, if you agree this was a true travisty of justice, please help them out.

Here is where to find out more of what happened and what you can do:

http://www.wm3.org

14. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    right on.

i was looking around the web for someone on the other side. even though the documentary is mainly facts.. just shows actual court, crime, and news footage....not much opinion at all....just real facts and footage....it's still biased and trying to show their side.

i was wondering if there was some info doing the opposite out there (besides the jury and court case)...maybe like a "don't free the west memphis 3 site" where there is quality info and not just a bunch of crazy people yelling satan!!!!:confused:

15. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    has anyone checked the wm3 site lately?
    after months of waiting for dna testing results, the results show "none of the genetic material recovered at the scene of the crimes was attributable to Mr. Echols, Echols co-defendant, Jason Baldwin, or defendant Jessie Misskelley."

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yea, but will it help them? I doubt it. :( Unfortunately, it seems that the powers that be care little about justice and more about saving face.

17. I only know about it from the Zao song "free the three".

18. Wow. Hadn't heard about it until now.

I'll be watching the first one as soon as I can get my hands on it.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's for sure.

bc

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I read about this a few years ago. Absolutely disgraceful. :mad: