What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by syciprider, Jun 10, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Okay, I have never had an effect pedal before so bear with me. I simply plugged and played back in the day. Now I have a Digitech BSW. I want to be able to use it on demand with out unplugging anything.

My amp has "pre out" and "amp in". I thought I can plug "pre out" into my BSW, exit thru the effect out and back into "amp in" and then plug my guitar into the amp's input jack and be able to switch in and out of the BSW effect. But that's not what's happening. If I turn the BSW off, I don't get sound. It's no different than just running the pedal in series between the guitar and the amp.

So am I doing something wrong or is this just the way these things work?

If the latter is the case, then how can I switch between a dry and processed signal? Do I have to buy an A/B switcher?
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Well, that's a weird pedal. I can't access the manual at Digitech's site (I'm not going to register just to read it), but it looks like it has a wet and a dry output, which is kind of odd if you aren't using a mixer.

Either way, it's not a line-level effect, so you should use it before the amp, not in a loop.
  3. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    First, I'd recommend putting the effect between the bass and amp, as said above.

Make sure you're going out of "OUT 1 NORMAL (DRY)". If you're using "OUT 2" you will get no sound when the effect is turned off.

Hope that helps. :)
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Thanks. Been looking at looopers. I guess I will need a bypass box so I can switch in and out of the BSW without unplugging.

I don't even want to think about how I'll route the wires after I add on a chorus. I'll need an A, B and C switch!

5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Use the normal (Dry) output.
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    If I read your question correctly...

Bass -> BSW -> Amp

Then stomp on the BSW to turn it off or on.
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I always manage to muddle what I am trying to communicate.

Let me give it another whack here.

I am trying to set the BSW up so I can use it or lose it without moving my output jack from effect to dry output.

If I go Bass>BSW>amp the only way I can go from say, a wah tone to dry is to stop playing, turn the amp off and move the jack from effect to dry then power back up and resume playing. There's gotta be a better way?

I'm thinking I need something from looopers. But now I can't figure out if I need a loop or a bypass. I am planning on adding maybe just a chorus and an overdrive in the future.

I'm confused :crying:
  8. donut

Jan 27, 2004
    No, the only reason those two outputs are labelled wet and dry are if you want to use both of them. If you are only using the normal output (and nothing plugged into the wet), then you can switch in the effect using the stomp switch:

Bass-->BSW-(Normal output)-->Amp

Stomp on switch to turn it on. Stomp on switch again to turn it off and get clean bass. There's no need to unplug anything! :)
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

As a general rule, pedals aren't meant to be used in the effect loop.
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    DOH! (sheepish grin) Hehehe. You guys are right of course :oops:

Funny how I didn't get that the first time it was explained to me. :bag:

Hey, real men don't read the manuals! :D

Thank you! :hyper: