what amp was john paul jones using here???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bon viesta, Aug 18, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    a marshall head, but what is that cabinet??? i first thought it was a vox maybe, but it seems a little too rectangular to me. also seems like maybe there’s a logo in the corner?? i think it’s a studio provided amp, and it’s the same one/same brand as the one jimmy is using.

here’s the live video:

Attached Files:

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    My guess is it's Marshall 215 of some sort. The trim on the front, and the shape and thickness of the front edges are pretty similar to this:

20141209_145506-jpg.jpg

bon viesta likes this.
  3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I believe it was an Arbiter or Simms-Watts, short-lived brands with ties to Sound City and Hiwatt…
    Voodoo Guitar: Oddball British Hi-Fi: Sound City & Simms-Watts Amps
    The earliest European/UK gigs were done with Vox gear left over from the Yardbirds, maybe even the bass on the first album(Page using a tiny Supro combo). The first US tour was primarily Rickenbacker Transonics, with occasional Arbiter, Sunn, and Ampeg in the mix, depending on the logistics. The Acoustic 360 came after that, when the money started rolling in.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    bon viesta and Wasnex like this.
  4. I've seen em use WEM stuff in the UK/Europe concerts too..... iirc

Coot and bon viesta like this.
  5. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    W.E.M ( Watkins Electric Music ) was used by a lot of early top British bands early in their careers . The Who, Stones, Zep, Pink Floyd and Hendrix (while in the UK ).

bon viesta and rodl2005 like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022