1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are these things in my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabee, Apr 24, 2009.

1. I was cleaning my pots today and brushed by these two white things shown in the pics. Should they be hot to the touch after being on for 15 minutes? The heat sync's were cold to the touch at the same time.

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    They are ceramic Resistors. They are supposed to get hot.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yep, they're resistors. The electrons go through them, and meet resistance. So the energy in the electrons gets turned into heat. And BTW, those things that suck heat away from your power transistors don't synchronize anything. They're "heat sinks" because they drain heat.

Anal bass Players club #1...:D

jte

4. Demanu

Demanu

Apr 24, 2009
    Poland, Lublin
    these are ceramic resistors

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    since you didn't know what these were, I have to ask- do you know not to touch the caps?...and what they look like?

I'm sorry but, I get nervous when somebody asks "what is this thing I just touched?" ....in the electrical world. ...just watching out for you.

6. It was unplugged for a few minutes so I didnt think it was a problem...and yes I know what the capacitors look like

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    okay.....caps can store electricity for a long time after a unit is unplugged. Which is why it is always safe to discharge them before handling an amps innards.

...just making sure you're safe.

8. Thanks amigo, dont want to leave 2 puppies without a dad.