1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What backup bass should I get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom once dead, Mar 24, 2009.

1. I am about to sell my dean, so I am looking for a new backup bass. My buget is $1200au or $500 US (we pay different prices). I am leaning towards a 4 string (dont know why) but I dont really care if it is 4 or 5. I dont want a fender style bass.

I am SUPER gassing for a Jackson CMG concert, but the specs for the neck dont seem to thin.

What bass should I buy :help:

stores for reference
    http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/bass/index.htm
    http://www.basscentre.com.au/bass-guitars
    https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=browse&id=38
    :help:
    ps sorry for this kind of thread, but you guys are just so helpfull.

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Maybe a little more info would help? For example, are you looking for something that is similar to the Dean you want to sell? What kind of feel do you like? Do you want it to sound similar to your main bass/es (which is ..... what?)? Do you want a bass that's a tonal chameleon so it can do a reasonable job approximating the tone of whatever your main bass or basses are since it's just a backup? Do you want something that's tonally unique so you have the option of using your backup bass when it's the right choice for a given song?

:)

3. I love the sound of my main bass, esp. EMG pups and pre. I am looking for somthing more standard shaped, with the acception to a t bird of lp bass. as for the other stuff, Im not sure.

I play metal and I use a very midrangy growl.
    okay so some of the basses ive looked at are, OLP MM32, Peavey Millenium, jackson CMG Concert, Line 6 variax, Epi t bird, epi Lp bass

4. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    Can't go wrong with a Nikki Sixx Blackbird. Great sound, and looks awesome.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Smart man.

The used market is your friend, also. ;)

6. there isnt really much of a used market here in aust. Also If I get a T bird shaped bass, ill get the stadard tbird IV. i never really liked the nikki sixx one.

7. Bump... At the moment Im tossing up between jackson, or line 6.

8. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    I'm really liking the new Schecter Omen Extreme. Nice features at the price you're looking for. Maybe even a little less.

9. Im a little partial to schecter, I dont know why. I think its because I was going to get a spector (instead of esp) and the two main competition were schecter and spector. I think I might try them out though.

10. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    a nice CMG in trans green would work :)

or maybe a CMG-AGB?

11. rjr225

rjr225

Nov 23, 2008
    ma.
    Peavey makes several decent mid priced basses. I recently bought a 5 string Washburn (Force 5) for $475.00 new. If the 4 string version is equal then you will be impressed ( just make sure you go to heavier guage strings).

12. ibanez gsr200. cheap, light, great neck, the little bass boost knob is perfect whenever u need that extra punch. with the extra money, replace the pickups, new tuners maybe, new bridge, strings, and you got a perfect bass

13. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    OLP stands for Officially Licensed Product, and they were nothing more than that. They no longer exist, I would assume because low quality=low sales.

However, I've heard with pickup and hardware upgrades they can be pretty sweet. So, if you got one of those you'd want to plan on it being a project.

14. i don't know if u can compare those. i mean, an high-end spector is 6000$ ( USA NS-4 ) and the high-end shecter is 700$ (stilleto 6 )

anyways...about ur bass. peaveys have some very hot outpup, very good for rock! i have an HH model, passive and has very hot output. a spector used, will be ur way to go ( my opinion ) !
    there are some very good deals on Legends and some NS models. and they have EMG's too.

i'd give that a try. ebay is full of them!

15. i always thought OLP was the like the epiphone of Ernieball?

also this bass will be used mostly for drop tunings...

16. Okay, I have fallen in love with spectors again. I found a 4 strings legend custom, slate grey, the 4 string version of what I was going to get. But its just over 1000 au, which means I would get absoloutely destroyed with taxes... :(

17. bump...

18. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    you may be pleasantly surprised with the epi t bird. this is coming from a 40 year old with 2 american fenders. the epibirds arent too bad.