What books are good for learning from

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by noblit007, Apr 18, 2008.

1. noblit007

noblit007

Feb 29, 2008
    I have been playing upright for about 2 months and I would like advice on a lesson book for technic and style. Which book should I buy?

2. Slaps McGoo

Slaps McGoo

Mar 23, 2008
    Montreal
    You're better off posting in the main forum, not many folks read this. Or get an account at www.rockabillybass.com

3. don't know about books, but the scott hinds youtube videos, and the DVD by Mark Rubin and Kevin Smith "Ungentle Art" are both great videos to help you get your rockabilly on.

4. In addition to Scott's videos online and Mark Rubin's and Kevin Smith's "The Ungentle Art",

there's also...

Pay: Pete Turland's DVD "Rockabilly Slap Bass" -- www.learnrootsmusic.com
    Free: Memphis Evil -- Youtube

Lee Rocker has a slap bass DVD out as well...

5. The Lee Rocker dvd is fairly useless, the Pete Turland one I learned a lot from.

The Ray Brown Bass Method book is good, mostly scale and interval exercises. The best thing about it is that some of it has fingerings. Those are helping me a lot with my left hand. Haven't worked through more than the first few pages of it but I'm glad I bought it. Probably would be best as a text to go with some lessons.

6. noblit007

noblit007

Feb 29, 2008
    I have Lee Rocker's video and would gladly give it away, it really is just for promoting his new band, I have watched all the memphisevil videos they are great I just wish he would slow down a little so you can see what he is actually doing. I have bought a couple basic books about scales and modes, sight reading and music theory. All of them have helped.

7. Its all about Lee's greasy mullet...:D

8. noblit007

noblit007

Feb 29, 2008
    The hair and the outfit ***

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021