1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you bring to the party

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Willie5String, May 27, 2020.

1. Willie5String

Willie5String

Dec 23, 2018
    When you play with a band, what do you bring to the party?

As I was reading Dr Cheese’s post about being ok with mediocrity, I was thinking about how each individual probably has an asset or 2 that they bring to their band or team.

In my case, I think I act as the musical translator for the band, I can explain what is going on harmonically and rhythmically with the music that is being played.

I add the stank, I find myself playing with mostly rock and classical players, I’m the one that add groove to the otherwise 1/4 note, straight 1/8 note grooves that my worship team plays. In my last band, the drummer was a 4 on the floor guy and the guitar players were backbeat guys, there wasn’t much breathing in their music until I came along.

2. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I have the party; the rehearsal space and PA.

3. Clam dip or a fruit tray.

Inky13, 210superair, zenrad and 21 others like this.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Mmmm...clams! I can bring the clams too.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I'm always early, I'm always prepared, I sing harmonies, and I buy the first round.

6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I try to bring a reliable member whose playing will serve the material (and I can sing)

That clam thing sounded good though....

7. Lagado

Lagado Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    Stop the madness
    My stamp collection featuring a beautiful limited edition set presenting the wildfowl of Papua New Guinea. Stunning. You'd want me in the band just so that you could view them.

BadSanta1281, Bogun, rufus.K and 16 others like this.
  8. I'm plug-and-play, meaning I'm always prepared, my tone is always appropriate and in the pocket, I don't drink (in any band settings) or do drugs (in any setting) and I'm a low drama bandmate in general unless others are not, then I'm not a bandmate anymore. Oh, and I make cool posters/flyers.

9. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Wit and muscle . . .

And surprise . . .

And a fanatical devotion to the pope.

10. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

I bring a good ear, the ability to lock in, the ability to play a lot of stuff by ear, and the ability to sing lead and harmony while playing my bass and a fairly decent level of ability as a bassist, though many can play rings around me. I also bring someone who will do their best to be prepared and not try to learn the material during rehearsal time.

I try not to bring too many clams, but sometimes it happens.

Barry Vestal, pcake, ELG60 and 2 others like this.
  11. Lagado

Lagado Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    Stop the madness
    Well, since I got possession of those pics of the BL in a compromising position at a private party last summer, I haven't brought anything much. I can't even be bothered to learn the bass lines properly. I couldn't really as I had snapped the D string a couple of weeks back, I put a new one on yesterday. It's all too easy now that my position is assured.

rufus.K and red_rhino like this.
  12. I'd be the tone-deaf, red-headed stepchild with poor timing.

13. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Extra straps, guitar strings, stands, drumsticks (!) 9 volt batteries...whatever it takes to get the show done when I KNOW that no body else can or will take care of the details...

pcake, Naturekev, Reedt2000 and 2 others like this.
  14. Tasteful playing with excellent time, always to support the song. Excellent note taker and set list manager. Always punctual, positive, prepared. Willing to help with load in/out.

Still can’t remember lyrics for the life of me

15. Lagado

Lagado Suspended

Jan 6, 2020
    Stop the madness
    I play the tunes note for note. I don't subtract anything, sometimes I add. People have employed me through listening to gigs and picking up on that. They like that attention to detail. For which I salute them, because so do I.

DoctorZee and alanloomis1980 like this.
  16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The voice of reason

17. I have almost always brought - As bandleader: the rehearsal space, the power supply, & the PA or recording gear. As the Songwriter: The vision, the songs, and therefore, style or genre. And a demand for professionalism.

Bajo Clarkko and alanloomis1980 like this.
  18. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    Ear plugs.

(I have tinnitus.)

19. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    1. I always arrive on time.

2. I am a forceful human metronome.

3. I play tastefully.