1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What effects? Nathan East

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Apr 10, 2017.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    This is a pretty typical jazz fusion sound for his melody and leads. What is it?

2. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Just sounds like some compression. I bet someone will chime in with more knowledge about the more subtle effects like eq or preamp he's using

Take this with a grain of salt since I'm not in an ideal listening setting

btmpancake likes this.
  3. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Yeah, in terms of effects, I'm not hearing anything. No chorus, nothing obvious like that. Clearly there is typical studio stuff happening, like eq, compression, etc.

4. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    You guys certainly have magic fingers that I don't possess. There is no reverb/delay or something on it?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  5. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I mean, maybe a tiny bit to add depth, but it's subtle and has less then the backing track

6. Orion1985

Orion1985 Supporting Member

May 4, 2010
    Grass Valley, CA
    I've been trying to learn a relatively simple song that he plays on and he does have magical fingers. His vibrato and the way he makes a note sing is incredible.

This is one of my favorite pieces of music and definitely worth watching:

7. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    To be fair, the mic placement is creating some natural reverb on it

peterpalmieri likes this.
  8. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I know he has toneprints available for the Spectracomp, Corona Chorus, Phaser, and Flashback Delay Pedals by tc electronic.

C/S,
    Rev J

peterpalmieri likes this.
  9. There was also his signature preamp pedal, the Yamaha NE-1, now out of production.

NE-1-0001.jpg

When he was here recently I didn't see the NE-1 pre-amp in his setup, but it may have been hidden from view.

Rullywow has a PCB that is based on the NE-1 circuit, a near clone.

Schalltechnik_04 has a complete kit, the NE_04, that clones the NE-1.

dab12ax7ef and peterpalmieri like this.
  10. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY

pjbassist likes this.
  11. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Just saw this a month or so ago. I love how they feed off each other, call and responses... just pure awesome.

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It's still there. You just don't see it. The NE-1 circuitry has since been incorporated into his signature Yamaha bass.

RichSnyder likes this.
  13. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I had the NE-1. IT was cool. A guy that I played with worked at GC at the time. They were $100. He looked it up and said, "I'll give it to you for your birthday". "$100 for my birthday is a bit high, don't you think?". He said, "Nah. Its only $12 for me". How could I say no . . . ? ;)

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pretty much the pedal is a mid level with frequency control. Heck, I had one on an Ibanez BTB. :D

That dude has talent and chops to spare.

15. Thanks for the info!

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You're welcome!

I'm not a big Yamaha bass fan myself. Nothing against them. Just not the sort of bass I usually look at when I'm out shopping. But I got the chance to try out a BBNE2 bass, and I have to admit it's one impressive instrument. You can get just about anything you can think of out of them. (Or at least that I could think of.) And they play like a dream. You could do a lot worse for the same asking price.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021