1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Effects Pedal Would You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bluesbass99, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bluesbass99

bluesbass99

Jun 14, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Note: This is a re-post. It was originally included in the Pick-ups and Accessories forum by mistake.

If you had one pedal to buy which one would it be. I really have not used pedals/filters, etc. (mainly because I don't know too much about them). I am looking for something to move up the funk. I am not a slapper/popper, but would like something that would simulate this sound without being too proficient in this area. Any suggestions (other thank taking the time to become more proficient in popping)?

Thanks in advance.

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm not a slapper and I use a 3 Leaf Audio Groove Regulator to bring in the funk. It won't imitate the slap or pop sounds but gives a nice wet sound.

3. FX-25b for me- for more detail, see my reply in the other thread.
    If I had to limit myself to one pedal it would be some sort of self-ocilating delay, ideally analog- admittedly it wouldn't get much live use but I diddle w/mine more than anything else.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Effects are not a substitute for technique or the right gear. I haven't seen a request for something to simulate the slap & pop sound, but we have had many people asking for a pedal to make a fretted bass sound fretless or to make a four string sound like a five string.

For all of these requests, there really isn't a pedal out there that will do a convincing job. If you want to learn to slap and pop, you just have to sit down and learn.

Now, if you're just asking for a pedal to make your playing more "funky" sounding, then an octaver and/or filter are great effects to start with. I'd recommend a used Boss OC-2 for an octaver and any number of filters. The Groove Regulator is easy to get a good sound out and a good one to start with. Personally I use a Chunk 00Funk.

5. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    None. Stay away. Your wallet will thank you later.

6. You could use a combination of aggressive picking with an envelop filter. Just set the filter to be a little more sensitive, and really smack the strings with the pick. This worked for me, at least...

7. Murph#2

Murph#2

Mar 24, 2010
    murph#2
    Boss ME-50B

8. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    bassballs nano? cheap and fonky.

9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Boss ME-50

Zoom B9.1

I have a Boss Gt-10B that I got from a TBer for at a great price for a great product.. I suggest that before you buy new you look on the classifieds here..
    I also sugest that you go to the technique section here.. lots of good pointers from some really good bassists...

10. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    If you can only have 1 pedal...you might as well get a multi effects pedal. I tried a ton, got tired of the pedal game, and in the end landed on the Boss GT-10B. This thing is amazing, and I've never wanted another pedal since. This thing does almost everything. Everytime I go into my local store and try out some boutique pedals, I always think to myself "I can get that exact sound, or close enough, with my GT-10B". I'm sure there's some things I have never heard of that it can't do...but who cares. It does so much.

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Boss CE-5 or DD-5. Both together, however, is awesome!

12. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Boss GT-10B it has everything in it.:)

13. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.

Isn't it amazing? One thing that really kills me is that there are so many different ways to do the same thing.. and the layout is just so versatile.. I am still in the process of finding the patches I like the best.. then I will move them all to the first few banks based on category.. The looper is pretty nice too.. It isn't very long.. but it is long enough to get creative..

14. masterbass54

masterbass54

Apr 15, 2010
    Germany
    Earlyer I ´ve had the Boss ME50B. the sounds are realy good, but it produce switching breaks between two sounds, somtimes mor than a second. And that´s for me an absolute nogo. So I changed one year or so ago to KORG MX3000B. I shot it at ebay for about 180 € as a used part with a rest warranty. And, what shall I say? Now I´m happy. Great sonds, some are very crazy, but if you edit them with the includet Editor on a computer Mac/PC, you are able to creat very fine results. I combine it with a TC Vintage Bass-Distotion and with the Dunlop BassWah (the white one). So I have all the options I need.

Greets - masterbass54

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Don't you mean the korg ax3000b...anyways, I own one and it sounds awesome. you can create some cool sounds with this multi-effects processor.

16. m3t4lhed

m3t4lhed

Jun 15, 2007
    Chennai, India
    why not the pod x3 live? or something similar?

17. quick get out of here before its to late............this is adictive.

18. big0bassdude

big0bassdude

Mar 31, 2010
    Athens Tn
    Cant beat an E-H bass micro synth for funk. I have used one for years and once you learn to use it properly the options are endless! Not bad for 300 bucks.

19. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Get a Line 6 M9. Easy to use, and sounds great. Any combination of FX you can think of.

J!