1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the best P J combo pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by usurperbass, Jan 13, 2012.

1. usurperbass

usurperbass

May 1, 2009
    Hudson Valley,NY
    ebay seller bassrocker32,bassist/guitarist for Glory Bound & sessions
    Hi I was originally going to build a j bass, but I ended up finding a cool Fender p j hybrid that I am going to modify. I want this bass to be versatile to cover different styles of music. I had in mind for the j pup a Carvin stacked, I think it is like 16k and for the p between a Fender 62 reissue pup or GFS pup, both about 10k. Here come the questions. Am I better off with just getting a set of a P J matched combo, if so which ones? I am looking to spend no more than $200 for the pair. There seem to be alot of good contenders out there, I just do not know what would be my best option. I am looking for something that can run the musical gammet of folk rock to hard rock. Thanks, Mike

2. I like Bartolini's Classic Bass series. I have them in my Spector, Warwick and about to put a set in my Fender Jazz! They sound great and are under $200!

3. usurperbass

usurperbass

May 1, 2009
    Hudson Valley,NY
    I was checking those out, they seem like high end pups, thanks

4. JavierFarias

JavierFarias

Feb 9, 2011
    Chile
    maybe the dimarzio's DP126, which is PJ set with a split coil Jazz pup (the model J).
    I think it is a very good option, since the split coil J pup won't have much hum.

I really like seymour duncan, but they don't have any split coil J, that's why I lean toward the dimarzio's, which are also very good sounding.

and the set is cheap, like $99

Regards

FingerDub likes this.
  5. yeah I hear great things about Dimarzio's too!

6. something to be sure about is to try to avoid split coild jazz pickups if not in premade PJ pickup sets, I've had a split coil Jazz pickup lying around which I cannot find a Pbass ppickup out there that it doesn't have phase problems with so if I were you I'd stick with stacked Jazz pickups or PJ sets... Just a little caution to save you going through all the trial and error after error that I did... Enjoy the PJ thought, it's a great combo for versatility

bassicmelodies likes this.
  7. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    IMHO it's best to try and find a dedicated pj set with a stacked or split j. You need a set that's matched in volume and a non humming j. Mine's a Nordstrand set, but that might be above your price range. It doesn't sound like you've got a extreme tone wish so there are lot's of options. The Di Marzio's sound ok to me, you can't realy go wrong with Seymour Duncans too.

8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    +1 my all around favorite set as well. I specifically like not having exposed poles on aftermarket installs, it eliminates any odd looks you get from strings that are not exactly aligned over the center of the pole pieces. I do find them slightly darker sounding than most PJ sets I've tried, but I like that. The aguilar onboard preamp and the East preamp are a great match for them, oddly enough I didn't like the Bart preamp with them.
    My second favorite choice is the Delano set.

9. +1 I agree completely!!! I like Bart pickups but don't really like the Bart pre all that much...its a bit too "polite" for my tastes.

GBassNorth likes this.
  10. usurperbass

usurperbass

May 1, 2009
    Hudson Valley,NY
    Oops! I forgot to add that I wanted passive pups.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  11. Barts are passive. :)

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    My Aero Instrument PE-1 is a 8.5k ohm P Bass pickup.. It balances PERFECTLY with both volumes maxed with a Seymour Duncan SJB-1 which also measures 8.5k ohm. I have never been more happy with a combination of pickups (P-J) than this. The tone has all the inherent roundness of the precision bass pickup, but has all the bite, bark and snarl of the J bridge. The volumes MATCH for once even with the P Bass pickup set up right instead of lowered down into the body to match output. The tone was very much a PJ, but since the J stood out so much you could dig in at the bridge for an instant Jazz bass on 'roids tone or play closer to the neck for a deeper P-bass tone. Dimming the P or J pickups respectively was very much like my Jazz bass. The pickup interaction was very much jazz-bass-like in that respect. It was almost like the cancellation in the mid-range that I hear with most setups was not there.

TBH- The J used to hum more with a Seymour duncan 10.5k SPB-1. Putting the aero PE-1 in which matches the impedance of the J made the J hum less. I found myself with less hum than a telecaster. It would be VERY hard to find a humbucking J with as much output as a single coil in the bridge IMO. I've tried quite a few. I'm sticking with these pickups.. they MADE the bass.

13. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    As noted, the Bart PUs are passive but I've only ever used them with a full active preamp (no passive switch) so I can't comment on how good they sound in a passive mode. But I really don't think they can be beat in an active mode.

14. I have an active/passive switch on my Bart setup....they sound just as good passive as they do active!

15. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    The Duncan SPB-1 pairs very well with the STK-J2. Sounds great, and the volumes are well matched. I set mine up with a 3-way VVT and it kills.

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    This,dimarzio is the best bang for the buck PJ set out there.

17. mattbrown

mattbrown

Nov 23, 2011
    I'll vouch for the Dimarzio 126 set, I put that set in my Squier PJ about a month ago. Love it, no hum from the J. That was a big improvement over the stock Squier single coil.

18. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    Dimarzio 126 set is my all time favorite! but he said he wanted "versatile to cover different styles of music" which i'm not 100% confident in them on. maybe joelb79 has a point with that Duncan combo?

19. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    The dimarzio P outpowers the J by a long shot in that set. The noiseless action is nice, but I couldn't stand the dark murky bridge sound and the P sounded muddy because it is wired to be bass heavy.

I honestly advocate for having a custom set wound for a P-J by somebody reputable, like Fralin. Try 9k P bass and 9K J, in single coil. My suggestion breaks the bank and the Dimarzio beats anything out there in value for the P-J set.

20. Curtis Novak hand winds some great sounding pickups. A friend of mine had them installed in a custom job not too long ago!