1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WHAT KIND OF BASSIST ARE YOU?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassace28, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Are you a melo jazz bassists? A slappa da bass funk bassist? Or are you a headbanging bassist, or anything in between???? :bassist:

2. Mediocre rock bassist.

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i naturally am drawn to very consonant, melodic music. i have a love for swing and smooth jazz and love seventh chords. i can play all sorts of genres but i prefer to walk. i do not slap.

4. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    I'm a "not quite good enough to classify bassist". I kind of enjoy playing alittle bit of everything. I guess you could say I'm a mutt bassist.

5. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Mellow jazzy, headbanging groovy, chest thumping, fist pumping mother f^cker!

6. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    is overpaid hack a categorie?

7. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I'm decent. There are lots of players that do stuff I can't do (like slap), but they come up to me after the show and tell me how good I am. So I guess I do something right.

8. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    My playing has often been described as McCartneyesque! Though I often construct consolidated / bare bones / muscular lines, a-la Sting, I do love most to play melodic lines, so I can't argue with that assessment.

9. None of those.

10. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Definitely a rock bassist with some funk tendencies. Like Flea, but lazy. I slap at home but never in public. Too scared...

11. I like a good metal riff, Walk by Pantera for example

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Lame ass middle aged bass poseur here....

13. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I'm starting a new club. It will be very exclusive. It is called...wait for it....

"The I'm so awesome other musicians are afraid of me and I get other bass players fired every time I play out and if you like any other bass, amp, or cab other than what I like you are uniformed and not cool like me and only my choices in music have any value and if your opinions do not coincide with mine at all times you can bite me club."

I will not be handing out any numbers as only I am worthy of this club. As I said it will be very exclusive.

P.S. Members of the spelling and grammar police may apply for henchmen positions.

That is all,
    have a nice day

14. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I'm a groovy, beat-keeping, play-through-every-drum-fill, and often slappy bass player. I can wedge that stylistic penchant into ten varieties of rock and pop music. Ten or eleven.

Also, I know very little about music. I just follow my ear and exercise good taste. Mostly.

15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I sir, am an arteest(sp)! :smug: (please note tounge firmly planted in cheek as I type)

16. bronzehydra

bronzehydra

Oct 14, 2008
    Mukilteo, WA
    Im mainly a metal bassist. Mainly Periphery and Meshuggah - type music.
    So i guess im a headbanging bassist who also can groove super hard :D

17. I'm no kind of bassist. I am, however, itching to find out.

18. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I am just a bad one, with the gain set too high, and the volume firmly at 11

19. theretheyare

theretheyare

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    How about....a musician? (good, bad, mediocre...)

20. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd like to think I'm whatever kind of bassist the song calls for. I do make every effort to avoid "slappa da bass". I can do it, just don't care for it.