1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Low C (extended E) string will match my otherwise gut setup?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by john_murchison, Nov 7, 2018.

1. john_murchison

john_murchison

Dec 1, 2010
    I play plain gut D and G (Gamut) and for years have been matching with A and E Velvet Animas. However on my bass with extension, the Low C Anima has broken a couple times within 6 months of putting it on. I feel like I need a longer-lasting string.

What are my other options for solid low C strings that would work with a gut-centric setup? The only option I see immediately is the 250-dollar Eudoxa low C ...

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You probably meant to post this on the DB side.

3. I've already asked the mod to move it.

lz4005 likes this.
  4. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi, if I recall Animas come with 1 year warranty. Don`t know whats the situation nowadays but Velvet customer service is known for working really well. If I were to replace a Anima ext E for durability reasons I`d go straight to Spiro or Evah weich.

dhm likes this.
  5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Try Evah weich on the C and A string or maybe Evah weich long c and Evah slap a. You’ll have to experiment

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    The Obligato C is pretty good and pretty affordable. The Kaplan is very dark sounding and would probably mate well with guts. I like the Evah Weich or the Spirocore Mittel and the latter is almost a ‘forever’ string. I replaced one with 8 years of use and other than sounding dead, it is intact. The Spirocore is stiffer than the others.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  7. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    for a forever string under guts I would do spiro weich long C but then you would have to figure out what A string to use