1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What mic do you use?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nedmundo, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My current band has started recording, and I plan to blend a direct signal with a mic on my G-K Neo112 cab. On Saturday we tried a couple of mics on the cab, and got decent results with an AKG that has both dynamic and condenser elements, with the condenser sounding better to our ears. But that's used for the kick drum, and we hope to record drums and bass simultaneously, hence my search.

Generally, I want the mic'ed cab for thicker low end than the direct signal, but without any mud. The G-K 700RBII/Neo112 rig is well-suited to that, but the mics we used didn't quite get there in my opinion, and didn't capture the heavy but clear tone I get live with this rig.

Honestly, the best tracks may have been my Jazz bass run direct from my Aphex Punch Factory compressor, so I may just go that route for the whole shebang. But my Precision and SB-2 seemed to benefit from the cab signal blended in, so I want to explore this some more. It's old-school rock, so there WILL be a P-bass with flats in there somewhere. ;) And let's not forget the entertainment value of messing around with basses, mics, cabs, etc.

I've been considering the AKG D112, the new (and seemingly impossibly to find) D11/XLR, and a couple of others. I'm curious what you all use, and for what type of material/sounds.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The E-V RE20 has worked for me, as has the venerable SM57.

The DI track will have tons of clean bottom; often all you want from the cabinet is the mids from the speaker, and you'll mic the speaker edge. Most mics will handle that just fine.

3. For thick low end: Beyer M380.

4. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    The SM57 has worked well for me, both for recording and live. It also has the added bonus of being owned by everyone and their mother.

5. I have some really satisfying results using a CAD KBM412 mic, nicely usable bump in the lows but accurate for all the other frequencies. Or also a SM57 with a tube pre is warm and plenty of booty.

6. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I recently bought an Advanced Audio 47FET. It's a knockoff of the Neumann. AA takes a chinese-made mic, guts it, and rebuilds with high quality components.

It came highly recommended by a studio-owning friend. He said he could barely tell the difference between the AA and the original - not bad for $350cdn...

I haven't had a lot of time with it yet, but so far I'm impressed. It sounds great on my old B15-N.

http://www.aamicrophones.com/fet_mics/cm_47.htm

7. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    BIIIIG +1 on the RE20. I always thought it was my little secret, as I don't know many people who have even heard of one before (it's a broadcast mic). My second choice would definitely be a Sennheiser 421. I've had fantastic results with both.

I wouldn't bother with an AKG D112 unless all you want is mud. I don't even like it on a kickdrum. Also, I don't really like SM57's for anything but a snare drum or horns. But that's just me :)

8. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Thanks for the replies! You've all gotten me thinking more about this, and I think I will avoid the AKG D112. I'm looking for a flatter response, and the Audio-Technica ATM250 looks like it might work. I think I'd really dig the EV RE20 or Sennheiser 421. Those mics seem really versatile, but I can't justify spending that much. Maybe I'll look for one used.

9. Rick Auricchio

You leave my mother out of this.

10. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you're looking for a full-range sound, your best bet is large diaphragm dynamic mics, especially ones geared toward broadcast. I discovered that little tidbit after buying a bunch of gear from a radio station that was closing down. The Electrovoice RE-20 has been mentioned, and is always a great choice. My personal go-to for bass cabs, floor toms, and deeper brass and winds is the Shure SM7B - mostly because I have four of them lying around and know how to work with them. TBer JimmyM is a big fan of the Heil PR-40. I've only used it once in someone else's project studio, but I remember getting good results.

On the other hand, if you're willing to finaggle the EQ a little, an SM57 or other standard instrument mic will work extremely well with a DI track to hold up the extreme lows for it. In that situation, I do a high-pass around 80hz on the mic track and a shelf to cut everything above that point on the DI track. A -6dB cut should be more than enough.

11. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    Ha- my drummer and I are about to have a fistfight over who gets to use that one. If you can find one of the old brass shell ones, buy it- the TG models aren't the same, and the old ones have been discontinued for years. Nice dub-y bottom end that you can manage by moving the mic away from the cab to reduce proximity effect. I've been told it works well on horns, too.

RE20s, and 421s are always cool, but you'd be surprised how good a $99 condenser mic sounds- if my drummer cleans my clock tonight, I'll be giving my MXL V67 a shot against a 421.

12. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    I use my Bass Pod Xt (RIP) for everything, so I tweek allot, and dont have 'one' microphone simulated inside, but I tend to favour the Neumann U47 (far) with about 25% air in the room....

13. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I use my REDDI but when i mic i have an RE20 that has never failed... it is nice vocal mic too by the way.. but it kills for bass!!
    one place i work at sometimes has a few old Neumans that are real expensive but honestly the RE20 just kills them all.. JimmyM on here swears by a Heil mic.. says it sound like the RE20 but less$$.. i would try that .. i forgot the model number of the heil but PM JimmyM, in sure he would be happy to fill you in.

Someone said an MXL.. believe it or not .. i ahve a few in my home studio.. and for the money iots rediculous how nice they sound.. i do run i though a A-Design Em500 Gold mic pre which is just stellar...

14. Rick Auricchio

The special thing about the RE20 is that it has virtually no proximity effect. With a standard cardioid mic, the closer you get the more bottom end it picks up.

The RE20 can be placed very close without getting boomy.

PS: It's great on female vocals because it doesn't have the strident top end that condensers have.

15. md421 works for me because i want aggressive bass. re20 is much flatter. running WITH a DI, a 57 will add speaker flavor. the DI makes up for the ridiculous lack of low end.

make sure if you run both that you phase align them.

16. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Thanks again for all the responses. You helped me realize I wanted more of a flat response, with clarity. So I decided to try the Audix D6. I used it today for a few tracks. I haven't heard them all yet, but on initial listening I was impressed how effectively it replicated the tone of my rig. It produced nice heavy low end, but it wasn't muddy at all. From that preliminary listen, I'd say it complements a DI track very well.

Cheers!

17. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    What a lovely thread. I love talkbass.

18. I'm glad it's working out for you, but if that thing strikes you as having a flat response I do not believe you are hearing what you think you are hearing. Of all the kick drum mics in wide use these days that is perhaps the most comically hyped sounding. All boom and click, no body.

response graph is on page 2: http://www.audixusa.com/docs/specs_pdf/d6.pdf

Between the lowest point (around 600Hz) to the peak of the presence boost is a good 18dB!

19. SM57 here - the Sennheisers are getting a lot of love though lately

20. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i know its been said a thousand times but SM57 is better than you would expect.. i actually really like using a 57 on my bass drum, moreso than a bass cab