What questions do you wish people would stop asking?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by droo46, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Whether it be drunk people approaching you in a bar, or beginner bass players here in the forums, what questions are you sick of getting?

westrock likes this.
  2. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    "Hey! Where are your other 2 strings? HARDEE-HAR-HAR-HAR..."

3. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    "What is the best ...?". Sorry, there ain't no universal best. What is best is a subjective, personal observation. That's why there is a myriad of manufacturers, vendors and models.

I will approve of questions like, "What do you like?" and "What would you do?" and "What would you suggest?"

4. truand85

truand85 Zig Zag Wanderer Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    "Can y'all do Freebird?"

dSay, BruceG63, dasherf17 and 21 others like this.
  5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    “Can you direct me to the restroom?”

6. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    On the forum (not necessarily beginers): "What color X do I like?"

7. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Unfortunately, one of my bands will bust into Freebird when this is yelled out. Thankfully (so far anyway), only when the KB is with us which isn't often.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  8. I was in a metal band in the heyday of people asking for that. All originals. We actually worked it just the main vocal parts as fast as possible. It was like 1 minute long.

9. truand85

truand85 Zig Zag Wanderer Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Drives me nuts :) but hey, it's pointless to try and fight that one...

jdh3000 likes this.
  10. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    "woah, a five string?!"

Virwill7, BassGuyFL, dannnnn and 3 others like this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I used to get annoyed by such things both here and "out there".

These days I'm a little more philosophical about it.

As for young beginners here, let them ask whatever they want. I certainly here a couple decades ago with a TON of misconceptions. I learned. That's how it works.

Countless times I have had younger beginners stop me after a show or during a break. I used to (albeit politely) brush them aside. These days?

"Sure. Come on up here. Check this thing out. Put it on. You can't hurt it. Hit a few notes. You have a Soundgear? Awesome! That's MUCH nicer than my first bass!"

My wife is a pediatrician. Not long ago she was rounding on new babies in her practice. The father of a new baby heard her last name and asked if she was related to me. When she said she was married to me, he had her relay a message to me.

He wanted to thank me for being so cool to him when he was a teenage boy playing guitar as open mic nights. He was kind of a "nerd" (his word) back then. And our letting him get up and jam boosted his confidence immensely. He turned a corner. He came out of his shell. He still plays guitar to this day.

On short, our being kind to him wad a turning point for him.

Often here I cringe when people pile on a kid/new member asking about the best bass for metal or something similar. Give the kid a break. Either ask some questions to gain context and clarity or move along. Welcome them or see yourself out.

Ask away, I say. I'm not that delicate.

12. JohnNash

JohnNash

Oct 13, 2020
    "So...do you think I should go with the tort pick guard, purple sparkle and flames headstock...or no pick guard, bone neck and passive hum-buckers???
    (It's silly really...we all know it's the latter lol).

13. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    "What questions do you wish people would stop asking?"

ratdoc, Momod, January-13 and 34 others like this.
  14. BarqsBitMe

BarqsBitMe

Dec 5, 2021
    USA
    "Yes, a real bass!"

15. Amano

Amano

May 5, 2015
    Planet earth
    Have you seen the band? And I ‘m 6,7.

16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    During break... "Have you seen this band before?"

17. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    20 years ago, I had my only yellow-page advertisement. As it turned out, it was essentially useless: a total waste of money.
    But... people WERE calling: “What’s the difference between a violin and a fiddle?”
    That was the most common call. It was frustrating, as of course I had thought being “in the yellow pages” was a guaranteed path to success.
    But I told them that if Isaac Stern handed his violin to Roy Clark it would instantly become a fiddle. Then I chatted with them as a friendly contact, rather than taking out my frustrations on them. It was a good habit to learn. People still call and pepper me with questions, and I welcome it. Once in a while they become customers. And by that time, a good relationship has been built.

Virwill7, Lucky Chuck, 3j4f and 18 others like this.
  18. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Amano.... what are the chances we both post the same thing at about the same time....

Eric Aquilina likes this.
  19. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    In here I kind of wish people would stop asking questions that will make other people feel bad about the questions they want to ask.

Out there? Nothing, really. "Do you teach?" I suppose is one that I don't have a satisfying answer for, because I don't feel like I know enough theory to be an effective teacher long term, and I have never analyzed my playing well enough to figure out how to explain it to someone. So that answer is always "no."

Back in the day I used to walk into a club with case in hand and, more than once, be asked if I'm "with" the band. No, I'm "in" the band, I'm not a roadie :) I don't really hear that one anymore.

20. Jefus

Jefus I..um...yeah...about that... Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Sacramento now...
    "Why aren't you playing a Fender?"

Ralf1e, 2pods, icefly and 11 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022