What strings did Metallica's Cliff Burton use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cliffburtono, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Light gauge

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Medium/Heavy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. cliffburtono

cliffburtono

Oct 17, 2015
    I've been heating a lot of debate on weather Metallica's Cliff Burton uses heavy gauge or light gauge strings. I used to believe it was light because of how easily he's able to bend the strings in some of his live performances, but I've been getting a lot of responses on the ultimateguitar forum that they're actually medium gauge and he's just got really strong fingers.

If anyone has an actual legit answer backed by argument I'd appreciate the input, but for now I'm just gonna have to use my 'ask the audience.'

Thank you!

2. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    I believe he used light gauge SS Rotosound 66s. Correct me if I'm wrong.

cliffburtono likes this.
  3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Seems to Roto 66 has a pretty good consensus. However a lot of guys seem to have 'heard' they were heavy. I have also heard he used light, specifically from some sources the 35-90 Roto 66 set. Watching video I would guess he used something more on the light end than the heavy. It is my observation that folks usually mistakenly attribute heavy tone to thick bass strings, which is a fallacy.

cliffburtono likes this.
  4. cliffburtono

cliffburtono

Oct 17, 2015
    It does seem like it because of how high he can bend the strings in the live video. I looked around some other threads and I found the guys that 'heard from a very reliable source' that he used heavy strings, but obviously there's no real evidence for these claims. Some guy made a good point about the luthiers at Aria who equipped their CB signature basses with light gauge rotos to really duplicate the bass he was playing, so I'm gonna trust that theory.

Thanks again for the input!

Root 5 likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022