1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to Put on my *Pedaltrain Mini*???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 22, 2008.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey all,

so i just got myself a nice pedaltrain mini, and dangit, i love it!

but outta curiousity, what 5 pedals would you fit onto it? and lets be specific, yea?

i already have my xotic BB+ preamp, ebs octabass & bassIQ, as well as my petersen tuner, and my axess bs-2. but am always open to new ideas.

[​IMG]

2. Peterson Strobostomp

EBS Multicomp

Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer

Empress Tremolo

Maybe a wireless

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    fuzz/distortion/overdrive
    chorus
    delay
    phaser/flanger
    something weird that makes people plug their ears

4. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Envelope Filter
    Octave
    Overdrive
    Fuzz
    Tuner

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dang, i literally posted this 5 min ago, and already 3 responses! pedal junkies!

but hey, i wanna hear some specifics!

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Moog, Expression pedal, Wolftone Chaos, Wah, and a Studio Electronics ring mod.

Oh wait... none of those fit on a mini. :atoz:

7. 5 Blueberry BOD's

8. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    im putting a pitch black, bb preamp, tc nova delay and a sadowsky preamp. stealth mode!

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    6 FAB Flange pedals.

10. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    not sure if you would have space for that joe =p
    are you getting one? and where from? still waiting for the buddies from music works to give a rrp and eta if they are not here yet

11. Ah, I'll just scrap the wireless then :smug:

I'll have to wait til I've payed everything else off before I get one but I think it could be a good way to go. Will mean I'll have to limit my pedal buying to just the essentials, kind of.

Let me know what the RRP is in NZ when you know!

12. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    haha. yeah. i will do. if not i'll just import from sweetwater maybe. and fund it by selling off my junior... eliminates gas. am pretty much rebuilding my pedals to that list above that i mentioned... and wait if i can sneak anything else on after that!

13. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    I'd also consider an effects looper so you could go "clean" when you want.

If you want to place five pedals on the board at least one if not two should be "nano" sized. Five Boss sized stomp boxes is a very tight fit. For example, I'm going to use a Loop-Master Mini Looper (about 1 1/2 inches wide). It's ordered, just waiting for it to arrive.......SIGH.

Also, I'm keeping my tuner off the board and using the tuner out on my amp for tuning. Gives me a little more space and I can grab/go with my tuner if I don't need the board. Also, tuners run a long time on a 9v battery, so, I don't miss having the hard wired power.

I just finished my PT Mini build and I love the board, just what I needed. Here's a pic.

IMGP6733.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    great lookin' board!

the VT bass is next on my list. and good idea w/ the tuner. thinking about getting a simple korg pitch black tuner since there's no need w/ the gargantuan petersen.

15. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Thanks...appreciate the feedback! The Pitch Black gets some luv around here. Seems like a good choice....I'm using a TU-2. I think the Pitch Black might be a little narrower which is a good thing if you decide to mount it on you mini.

Really like the VT Bass. I use it to add a little grit to my sound.

FYI, the mini has made me look closely at the size of pedals, think about how I'm trying to adjust my sound and evaluate what features I need on my board to meet my needs. One thing I'm thinking about now is a box with a DI (like a Sansamp). Most of these pedals are fairly large so space management is an issue. I don't want to remove more than one pedal if I decide to implement the change and the VT Bass stays.

16. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Well that's what I'm planning anyway, albeit in a different order.

17. You guys think this would fit without the wireless? The comp and tremolo have side mounted jacks so they might take up a little more room.

18. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    lil' off topic, but there is a lot of Pitch Black love around here.
    curious if there are any threads I couldn't find that people are battling it out over these tuners
    Like Pitch Black vs. Strobostomp

19. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Here is one link discussing tuners including the Pitchblack.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430445&highlight=pitch+black

Just did a quick search using "Pitch" "Black".....no quotes.

20. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    signal chains work best in this order:
    voicing
    envelope
    modulation
    spatiality
    sampling

For Example:

Octave>drive>synth>phaser>reverb>delay>loop station.

That being said, if you plan on using your effects loop on your amp, there are some pedals such as distortion, fuzz, and drive that work best before your preamp. So a pedaltrain could be filled up with signal processors and you could plug into your fuzzface and into your amp, run a line back out to your pedaltrain, and then back to your amp.