1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What was your first amp (old guys only) Pt 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    My amp history, from the old days, sorta:
    Univox ss head and 115 cab
    B15
    Bassman 10
    Bassman 100
    SVT/810

that gets me into that 80's, and a nearly endless train of stuff since.

3. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    Chef, I still have an old Univox ss head with the 15 inch cab. Picked it up at a garage sale. Still works great. Not too powerful but fine for a bedroom jam.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It was a great starter amp, at the time.
    Of what I listed, I could "miss any of those" except that one ;)

5. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    Bogen 50W tube PA head into a late 60's Bassman 2x12 cab. Horrible.

6. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    I had a 1967 Ampeg B-15n... I love that amp now, then it wasn't loud enough. Man, I wish i still had it. I have no idea what happened to it. My first bass was a brand new 1971 Fender Mustang.... again I have no idea what happened to that bass either. What up with me?

chaosMK likes this.
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The very first amp was a Basic 60, it made my ears ring and I never could kill it. After that I climbed the ladder with a 200, 400 then 800RB and various cabs. The PAS 15" (called it the POS) was a joke for how big it was, the Hartke stuff was good except the 10" drivers would split out near the surrounds. For DB my favorite was the 400RB with one or two Bose 801 PA cabs, it was tighter and punchier than anything I had at the time.

8. My first amp, circa 1985, was a Garnet 40B single-speaker (12"?) solid state combo, made by Gar Gillies in my hometown of Winnipeg.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Just discovered that what I thought was a Philco radio was actually an Airline radio/phono mixer. Photo coming. Explains why I could not find the right Philco model with a mono RCA-in on the back of the chassis. Yeah, I'm 63.

Second amp, circa 1963, was an Airline tube combo 15 with an open back.

heynorm likes this.
  10. sensei_steve

sensei_steve Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Reisterstown, MD
    My first amp was an ampeg b15n and my first bass was an ampeg brown burst baby bass bought together new. Unfortunately, as a high school teenager, i felt it wasn't loud enough to play rock and not satisfactory playing classical arco. I wish i had them now. Subsequently, my favorite amp in the 70s was a fender dual showman head and, i think, a small showman cabinet with two 15", maybe they were 12", jbl speakers. I miss that amp too. In those days, off and on, i had fender precisions and fender jazz basses, mostly cbs. I never liked them, and to this day don't understand their "classic" appeal.

11. Peavey TNT combo, 1 x 15.

12. bb5000

bb5000

May 30, 2006
    Sundsvall, Sweden
    From my first 2-3 years of bassplaying -78 to -81
    - Swedish Bäckström , dated 1953, with an 18" cab, was probably in need of new caps and service.
    - Austrovox (Austrian tube amp) with Selmer 18" cab..lasted a couple of weeks.
    - Hagström BT50 SS head with Hagström 2x12 cab...not loud enough
    - Fender Bassman 100 with the 4x12 cab, kept it for a few years and traded it for a SS Amp in -82 (stupid)

13. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    My first bass amp was actually not a bass amp - it was an Ampeg Reverberocket. It actually sounded pretty darn good for bass - had a 12" Jensen speaker. Man would I love to have that amp now!
    My first "real" bass amp was a 1972 Kustom 100 black tuck n' roll. Then I moved way up to an Ampeg V4B with B40 cab, then switched to an SVT810 cab with the V4B.

14. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Radio Shack 15" combo
    Kustom 200 head + 315 cab (Tuck n Roll)
    Traynor YBA3
    Fender Bassman 100 head + 2 412 cabs (a bit underpowered)
    69 Ampeg SVT (a bit more power ;))

Rezdog

15. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    My first amp, (in about 1969, or 1970) was a Fender Bassman head, that was dark brown, (I think), and a newer Fender 115 cab. The cab was not that great. I played with some guys with very loud Fender combos, and my rig was inadequate. One guitarist played way too loud, and my cab would fart out like crazy trying to keep up. I don't think he noticed, because all we could hear was him. He was a very good guitarist though, and I sucked, (still do), so maybe it was all for the better that I was drowned out.

I think my dark brown colored Bassman head was maybe a 1960 model, but I don't really know.

16. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Don't know if I'm old enough....
    But, my first rig was a homebrew speakercab with a 12" philips(Dutch) fullrange driver and two Visaton(german) 10" drivers (talkin' about mixing drivers, hahahah).
    I used a Conrad "power" amp (Conrad is sorta German/Dutch partsexpress counterpart) and a Korg multi-effects pedal board to drive this thing. Didn't sound bad at all :D

17. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    My first rigs:
    '62/'63 (?) Blonde Bassman (2 x 12) was my first
    mid 60's Fender Showman (2x15 JBL)
    Vox Foundation (1x18)
    Vox Super Beatle (4x12 twin cabs)
    Traynor YBA-3A Amp with (2) 8x10 YC-810 cabs

18. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    1964 Sears Silvertone model #1482. It was a tube amp with a single 12" speaker and built in tremolo. Like wow daddy! When I hit the low E on my Teisco Del Ray bass it seemed to bounce around the floor. The control knobs went down the side. I would stand the amp on it's side so that the knobs went across the top like the cool amps. Worked out pretty well until I started playing with an ape-sh#t drummer.

19. Yup, me too. I hated that amp.

Replaced it w/ a '76 SVT rig.