What was your first bass?? Still have it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderStik, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Guild B-301!!!! Still have it, still play it every once in a while - love the sounds and the sustain. Checked out the age based on the serial number - turns out it's a 1977 job. Right now it's sitting in it's case in the wardrobe appreciating!!!:D

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    1960 stack knob jazz bass. Neck became unstable over the years so I sold it. But I do still miss that bass.

3. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Amersham, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    my first bass was my p-bass copy....it now resides on my a stand as a kick ass fretless :)
    everythings been changed and its got such a cool distinct sound!

*Si*

4. spaz

spaz

May 24, 2001
    Hampton, VA - USA
    My first bass was a glorious cream colored B.C. Rich Warlock. I'm happy to say its been gone for a LONG time!

5. Francesco

Francesco

Mar 30, 2000
    Well mine was a good copy of Fender Jazz bass bought in the 16 years ago, I haven't played this bass for over five years and almost a year ago I decided to turn it in a fretless and change the electronics with the scheme of Jaco bass with the Seymour Duncan Hot Jazz Pickups and now it sounds just great and I mean it, also I own a Steinberger Honher 5 strings.

Francesco from London ( but I'm Italian).

6. Man I rememer it like it was yesterday. it was april 1992 I got it around 7 in the morning. And I knew nothing about the bass at the time so I just stared at it all day. People came over and stared at it they could not belive how nice it was. My Dad had been into bass since he was young he had a few nice ones but this beat them all. At the time I was a little twirp so I could barely lift the thing. So I just looked at it in awhhhhhhh But the best thing about it, I got it for absoultly nothing. Of course I still have the thing look at it its georgous. I don't do anything with it now it just sits in the living room. But I have had tons of them since but never anything as nice as my first one.:)

7. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    The first bass i played- Madeira I think it was trying to be an Alembic.

First bass I owned- Gibson Ripper! My friends thought it was cool cause it looked like Gene Simmons Bass! I used it all thru college, even in Marching band!!!:confused:

First Bass I bought with My own Money- The Kawai KRB-69 I still play:D

8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    My first bass was an old Yamaha BB1200. It was really cool but it was too big for me and I needed the money so I had to sell it:(

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    My first bass was a Vox Bassmaster, kind of like a mustang.
    My first g**tar was a Hofner Club 50 in a really beautiful cherry sunburst.
    I wish I still had that!! - Best playing g**tar I ever had.
    :( :( :(

10. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    You can keep that vulgar G Word to yourself.:D :D

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    First low frequency instrument I encountered was my dad's washtub bass, which I still have but don't really use...
    My first bass guitar was a black harmony Pcopy that I paid $12 for, so the seller could buy a Rush ticket. The frets stuck out of the side of the neck in a most painful manner...
    don't remember what happened to that bass.

12. I'm only on my second, but I do still posess the first one. I never touch it, it's a neglected child. It's been so cobbled and modded it's barely the same instrument I picked up at "Classic Axe" for $100. I think of selling sometimes, but it's not worth anything. I probably would give it away if I ran across someone who really needed it.

13. My first bass is a Jackson P-bass copy, I got it and a 60 watt amp for 250$. It's a piece of junk, the action's way too high, string tension is gigantic and it's dirtier than my room, which says something. I love that bass. Next one I'll get will be a 4001V63 Rick or a 4003 Rick, I don't know what I'll do with it then, maybe give it to a friend of mine who wants to learn bass, see if she'll like it. Maybe turn it into a fretless. Time will tell.

14. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    A 27" scale no-name POS that my brother pieced together from parts he came across (most from the trash I believe). It had 4 different tuners and a single coil guitar pickup. I still have it. My son (6) played it until I made him a new one with a Squire Music master neck (30" scale), poplar/oak body and a P pickup.
    The fingerboard has started to separate from the neck on the 27" so I'll have to cut it off and see if it's salvagable. (the frets are about worn to nothing as well)

15. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    I owned one of those crappy crate starter kits, i figured out about 3 weeks after buying it that it was a P.O.S bought my Warwick 4 Thumb Bolt-On, and smashed the F*ck out of the crate... wanted to burn it while i smashed it but was too broke form buying the Warwick to buy gas!

16. My first bass was a Suzuki 4string p-bass copy with a poorly done sunburst finish. it has a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I still have it and use it but not to often .:p

17. MIM Fender P-Bass. Midnight blue is the color. I still have it. I just need to get the neck fixed b/c it has a bow, and the volume knob fell off, so i'll probably glue it back on or something.

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    First bass I played (after about a minute on the school's upright) was a Vox owned by the jr. high school. Had a neck about a millimeter wide and a sound just as thin. First bass I owned was a Hohner Gibson EB-O copy, quickly replaced by a Ventura Fender copy that I played up until my first "real" bass...a 1976 stock Fender P-Bass, which I eventually had converted to fretless by Bob Kaufman (Jaco's luthier) when I was at the University of Miami. He did the boat epoxy thing, added a DiMarzio J pickup and a BadAss bridge. Like a complete moron, I sold this bass in 1988 so I could by my first 5 string. Somebody out there has a killer fretless that I wish I could buy back!

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    First bass I played (after about a minute on the school's upright) was a Vox owned by the jr. high school. Had a neck about a millimeter wide and a sound just as thin. First bass I owned was a Hohner Gibson EB-O copy, quickly replaced by a Ventura Fender copy that I played up until my first "real" bass...a 1976 stock Fender P-Bass, which I eventually had converted to fretless by Bob Kaufman (Jaco's luthier) when I was at the University of Miami. He did the boat epoxy thing, added a DiMarzio J pickup and a BadAss bridge. Like a complete moron, I sold this bass in 1988 so I could by my first 5 string. Somebody out there has a killer fretless that I wish I could buy back!

20. o1x3w3a2h

o1x3w3a2h

Dec 14, 2001
    Cheektowaga, NY
    mine was a cheapo Shredder bass. never heard of it but it played good and fit my budget nicely. i still got it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021