What was your first bass?? Still have it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderStik, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    Hamer p-bass copy, still have it. i defretted it, so im starting to use it all over again. might put in some new pups on it.

2. My Grandpa rescued me a 3/4 scale Sears special from someones trash. The pickguard was shattered so he cut some plexi to fix it up. Got me a "flip top" ampeg to thump it thru. It only took about a month and 3 lessons to get my old man to chip in and help me get a real bass. He wanted me to buy a used late 70's jazz at Robbie's in North Jersey... like a chump I picked the "NEW" Ibanez Destroyer in Metallic Candy Apple Red... Man was I cool :rolleyes:

I ripped the frets out of it and left it that way... had my bud spray it "Ford Metallic Dark Grey" with Black Gloss for the neck (back and headstock). I think I finally sold it for $100 or so to a guitarist I jammed with here and there.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, still have it. it was a kramer duke, that i made fretless...

jt4straln1.jpg

4. Unfortunately, I just got my second bass after 6 years of playing... I wish i had lotsa $$$ :(

Anyway, my first was a Peavey Fury bass. The neck is twisted and backbowed. Once I realised what a piece of s**t it was (about 2 years into my bass playing experience) I started dropping it lots and treating it like the junker it is. It's now laying on my floor mostly dismantled while my new Rick gets all the attention. I'm gonna do a Jimi Hendrix on it, burn it on stage then smash it to put the flame out. If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm open, however reviving it isn't an option - I ripped the pickups into oblivion and my friend smashed it around a bit so it's missing a lot of paint now...lol. What a piece.

Now I spend my time re-learning how to play on an actual instrument, un-teaching myself all the bad habits I acquired playing a worthless piece of crap.

--jeff

5. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Wild-shaped Carvin four-string with the Kahler bass trem. Bought it new in '87. Sold it a few years ago. Wish I still had it. :(

6. No, I don't still have it - but here's a picture of one just like mine.

allan

[​IMG]

7. My first "bass" (using the term loosely) was a cheap Kay I got for Xmas as a kid. The best description I can think of is a stylish cigar box with rubber bands, with action about 2" above the fretboard. When I finally got the money for a "real" bass, I purchased a Washburn Bantam Steinberger copy for about $ 300 at the time (early 80's). For the money, it really was a great little bass. Came with strap-locks, one of those locking input jack thingies, and a bridge with tuning just like a real Steinberger. I traded it several years ago for a cruddy Gibson guitar (stupid me). Now I'm half-heartedly looking for another one, but the search so far has been fruitless.

8. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Canada
    I just got my marathon pro series back! beaten to hell while outta my hands, but It's still nice to have her back! What a piece of crap though! there isn't even a fingerboard! the frets were put RIGHT INTO THE NECK!! hahaha

9. The first bass I had was an old Fender P-bass I was able to check out from the highschool I went to. I had the bass for over a year after I graduated before the school tracked me down and asked for it back.:p

The first bass I owned was a Rickenbacker 4001 which I sold a few years later. I never really made a connection with the bass so I don't regret selling it as it would have probably just sat in my closet like it was when I sold it.

The second bass I bought was a mid-eighties Fender Japanese P-bass that I later upgraded with an active emg pickup. I bought it brand new around '86 and I still have it and play it a lot around the house.

10. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    My first bass was a late eighties black 5-string Fender Squire.

This bass was made before Fender used the Squire label on their econo P and J bass copies. It has a sculpted P-Bass style body, a P and J combo passive pickup configuration, and a very pointy headstock with three tuners on top, two on the bottom.

My parents bought it for me for Christmas in 1991. In the early nineties, 5-strings still haden't caught on in Corpus Christi, Texas. The music store had it on super, super clearance just to get rid of it, so my parents got it for like $200 bucks. I already played tuba in the school band at the time so my mom figured I'd dig the extra low string. So I ended up having the unique experience of starting on 5-string.

It's now a frettless. I used it as my simulated upright bass in my college jazz band. I achieved this by stuffing a piece of foam rubber between the strings and the body near the bridge, and I played it with my right hand positioned at the 17th fret or so, with the bridge pickup soloed.

Though now retired, I still have it and plan on having a fretted fingerboard replaced on it some day. Then I'll rig up some kind of cool wall display for it, for sentimental value.

11. I am also one of the guys who got suckered into a starter set. I got a puny little 10 watt practice amp, and a $75.00 dollar Samick. Man is that thing ever a piece. I still have it, but it has turned into my experimental bass. I have taught myself everything about tweaking a bass on that thing before I ever touched my Fender J-bass. Now I am planning on gutting the electronics, and installing some sweet pups and maybe routing out some space and putting in a preamp. It will be cool, but I am afraid about destroying my first bass ever.

12. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I seem to have kind of lucked out. I got a Standard Fender Precision. black with white pickgaurd. I got it for christmas, but my mom let me pick it out. She was a pianist and understood picking out one's own instrument. I remember the guy quoting the price of a black one for a sunburst, and offering to honor the price. I still said I wanted the black one. Kind of regret that, though I still have, and love, and often play my black p-bass. Now I have installed the vintage chrome pickup cover and a J-bass bridge cover. Wierd idea, yes, but it looks awesome!

13. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Lefty Squier Special P, lefties are hard to get rid of, so ya I still have it.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Arbor 4-string PJ type, also made fretless, with EMG Select pickups and BTC electronics (not really any better sounding than the original no-name stuff).

[​IMG]

15. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    my first bass was an "aslin dane"
    it looked like a fender replica and had some sort of plastic compound for the fingler board.

i dont have it anymore
    i sold it for 60 bux cuz it sounded horrible

16. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    A 1977 MIA Fender P-bass which i bought about 9 years ago from a guy who was in a scottish punk band. I went to his house to pick it up and i went into a room filled with about 20+ basses and various amps, i fact he was gonna give me a small combo for free, but he couldn't find it. It cost me 80 GBP, I've still got the bass and i play it everyday in my current project.

17. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    My first bass was an Olympic White P bass, I still have it and it still weighs a ton.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Back in 1977, I got a black Guild medium-scale solidbody, model unknown. It was shaped like a slightly-offset EB-3. Had two humbuckers, 3-pos toggle, vol/tone for each pup. The bridge had wood saddles (like on the Starfire, I guess). Looked kinda cool, but playability was bad. I was sooooo happy to get my '78 Fender P-bass a year later.

19. schmidtt

schmidtt

Jan 9, 2001
    Red Westone. 24 frets. Pseudo humbucker. Sheet metal bridge. Bolt on neck. More dead spots than the Mojave. I still have it. It's in semi retirement. I'm looking at it now and I can't find a model name or number.....

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021