What was your first bass?? Still have it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderStik, Dec 12, 2001.

1. washburn XB-100 p-style. i still like it, and except for a crackly volume control and occasional intermittent signal, it's a good bass. i'm gonna put a duncan Hot in it one of these days.

2. I started with a black Samick Precision copy. It sounded like crap, and I generally hated it, cos I would go into different stores after skool every day and play better ones.

Anywayz, I have bought a couple since then, so I have given the old Samick a paint job, basically screwed around with it so much, that I basicaly know the anatomy/wiring of a bass like the back of my hand.

3. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    My first bass was a used, short scale Epiphone, around 1970. Back before they were known for making Gibson clones. I gave it to someone that wanted to play, but had difficulty affording an instrument.

4. rodrigovg

rodrigovg

Dec 21, 2000
    was an Yamaha RBX200
    very good for begginers

5. I learned on the Fender my school owned -- I was invited to play bass with the jazz band after the director found out there was a double bass player in the strings program.

The first bass I purchased was a Gibson Les Paul Recording Model. I still have it, although it is on loan to a friend right now.

I also still own the Peavey T-40 I bought new in 1978 ('cause it was lighter than the Les Paul :D :D).

It's hard for me to sell a musical instrument. I think I still have every one I've ever owned except for the alto sax that was stolen. :mad:

--Ed

6. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    75 P-Bass Traded for a 95 MIA Jazz Bass big mistake then traded the Jazz back for the same P-Bass . Then Traded the P-Bass for a Tele Even bigger mistake during my I am going to Play Guitar and be lead singer phase Even bigger then the last mistake . P-Bass gone forver Jazz bass who cares
    (just that one in general I like Jazz's just not that one) Now back to being the Bass Player

7. My very first bass was a 1966 Japanese made TeleStar Semi-Acoustic Teardrop Bass that I bought new. It was as knockoff of a Vox Stinger Teardrop Bass. It's finished with Sunburst front and Walnut back and sides.
    Yes, I still own it. It's always fun to play it. It's still in great shape for a 35 year old bass. It's got a few lacquer checks in the finish but that's all. It has a 30" scale.
    I will try to attach a picture of it here. But the file size might be a bit to large.
    Cheers,

8. Funkster

Funkster Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a late 60's Gibson EB2 semi hollowbody my parents bought for 150 bucks in 1978!
    Traded it for a bran new mapleglo Ric 4001 in 1980. I have niether of these basses anymore :(

9. my first bass was a 1979 fender p-bass, natural finish, stock except for the fact that i replaced all of the screws and springs in the bridge when the g-string screw mysteriously fell out at the end of the last set. i still have it but do not play it that much, mainly because i seem to prefer j-basses now and my main thunderbroom is a 5-string custom fender j-bass. when i got my 1986 white kramer focus bass (reminded me of mike watt's white telecaster bass) the p-bass became my backup bass. in my last band i got a fender fretless j-bass and ordered my aforementioned custom 5-string, semi-retired the kramer and resumed using the p-bass so i could have an all-fender rack.

10. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    my dad bought me a yamaha rbx200 cuz i said i wanted to play so i took lessons then summer came and family plans and whatnot so i stoped taking lessons and didnt play for about a year then started up again just before highschool then bought my second bass squire p bass special so i could have one at home and at school (for band) then i got better and realized i hated the squire so i got a bc rich warlock (im mainly a metalhead) then i replacled the bc richs p/us with emgs sold the squire for $100 neve regreted it and then replced the yamaha's p/u with a duncan active eq cuz i realized the warlock was way to neck heavy althought it sounded good for playing in my band (cuz im a "madman" on stage) so for the last few months the yamaha has been my main bass due to the light comfortabel balanced body but i just bought a used alvarez 6 string with some barts in it so thats taken the main bass spot from the rbx once again

theres my whole bass history i forgot what the topic was by the time i typed that all oh well

11. Peavey T-40. Still have it. All maple neck, comes in handy when I want a bright sound. Does Green day stuff really well. Loudest bass I've ever played. Lots of output....too much for most situations actually. But it's still a player.

12. A Karina P-bass copy that was borrowed off a friend who borrowed it off a friend who borrowed it off a friend. A fairly horrible POS, good thing it was stolen (along with my POS Washburn geetar at the time thank god)...

First bass I paid for was a fretless Fender Mustang, red with the competition stripe. Intonation is pretty rude so it stays on the wall.

Next number was an Ibanez ATK, which was *ok* (gave me that EB Stingray sound) but didn't work for me.

13. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    An old p.o.s Hondo! It was short scale with a P-Bass body. My brother-in-law let me use it for about a year. The body was cracking at the neck pocket(can't think of the technical term right now). Had about 7 year old bass strings on that bad boy, I never did change 'em. I thought it sounded pretty good until last January when I bought my own bass MIM Jazz. I'd love to hear it now, especially since I just got my new Ray:D I do have to say, that short scale was pretty cool to learn on. Took me a while to get used to the regular scale.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

My first was a very good Japanese P bass copy, an early 70's Memphis. It looked just like Jamerson's Funk Machine, and with the who-knows-how-old flatwounds on it, sounded a lot like it too. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that it weighed about 80lbs. It was much heavier than the Peavey T-40, which was my next bass a few years later.

Don't have it anymore. Dad had to sell it, my silverface Bassman 10 and my Camco 5 piece drum set to buy food. He got laid off about a month before Christmas that year.:(

I wish that I still had it, my T-40(traded in on an Electra-Westone P/J{bad move!}), the Electra Westone(stolen:mad::(), the Westone Quantum(awesome Steinberger copy, best I ever played), and the Westone Pantera 5 that I traded the Quantum(worst move I ever made!) in on.

I want them all back!:(

I learned my lesson. I don't sell stuff any more.

15. mine was a "series 10" whatever that is. I still have it, I'm trying to sell it, but no one wants it. it's got a P and J style pickup combo.

16. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    24" washtub, still have it.

17. My first was an old Yamaha RBX200 (tomato red) which I picked up for 150 bucks australian.

I traded that in later to my local luthier in exchange for a neat little slice off the price of my Cort Art.B4. Later on I went in to lay-buy my Artisan A6 and my old one was gone. (it sat there for a few months).

Couple of weeks later I went and saw a band at the local yout center... Satiba I think they were called. Anyway I didn't care much for the band but I did notice something interesting... The chick playing bass was playing a tomato red Yamaha RBX200. hmm.... For some reason I want to chase her down and steal it back, even though my Cort ****s all over it.

The memories, I guess.

18. Fender Precision (Ocean Turquise/rosewood fretboard) that I bought new in 72,put the down payment from money I earned from selling newspapers.Parents suprised me a few weeks later after they paid off the balance that was due.I still own and play this bass and will never sell,hope to past it down to either my son or daughter.

19. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Crappy p-bass copy Encore bass.

Still have it, plan on having it defretted someday.

20. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I had a Hohner Rockwood Pro P-Bass copy. It was minging. I bought it for £50 with a little amp and sold it to some girl who fancied me for £100 cos she was blinded by love. :) I'm a bastard.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021