What was your FIRST TB thread??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JMacBass65, Nov 28, 2015.

1. I like that thread idea, perhaps because I was in a situation like that. Made my first purchase since marriage (18 years) and kids, knew I shouldn't 'cuz we were digging out of a hole, but did it anyway. It was a unique opportunity and a special bass.

Anyway, long story short - hid the bass from her for two years and she never knew, but if felt guilty as hell. Paranoid when gigging it for fear of a photo revealing my deceit. Couldn't practice freely on it since it was hidden (it's a fretless, I needed to spend time with it, but couldn't).

Anyway - when my wife was racking her brain trying to figure out what to get me for my 50th birthday, I told her "all I want is your forgiveness" and I came clean on the purchase. She was very forgiving and understanding, and even then thought she should "do something else" for me. I refused, and said "this is it, just let me enjoy it freely" and she agreed.

She really should have said "sell it, you a-hole", but she didn't. As she has said more than once - "best wife ever".

2. My first thread was looking for advice on a Petersen Stroborack, which I never did get:

Peterson Stroborack VS-R

What was interesting was reading the threads I responded to prior to starting my first; In 2007, many of those threads only had two or three pages of replies and it seemed like everyone read the entire thread before replying. Miss those days. It was also kind of cool to be able to figure approximately when I added to second S18E-D to my Bag End stack, after pondering it for a few months back then.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    JMacBass65 and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    my first TB thread was me trying to find weights for the three hofner club basses
    hofner club bass question
    when i got mine, it was super buzzy, but i might give it another shot - those are sweet looking, really nice basses.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Oldest thread I could find was about This 1s Mine and their straight up thieving "business practices." Looks like I failed cuz that scammer still pops up from time to time. I still stand by the fact that he's a dishonest fraud. Run.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  5. Funk³

Funk³

Apr 12, 2015
    London
    Mine was 'Best bass for metal?'

Somebody help me.

bopeuph likes this.
  6. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
  7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    A classified.

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    why is my marshall ibs combo vibrating like crazy?

9. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    JMacBass65 and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  10. First Thread:
    Which Bass Do You Prefer?

First Post (from Ibanez Ergodyne best bass for low price: Best bass of 1998-Bass player Magazine ):
    "I have a 2006 Ergodyne and it has been my main bass sense then. It is the most well constructed bass I have played. The neck is very smooth and easy to navigate, it seldom goes out of tune (I tune it once a week), I have never had to adjust the truss rod or have ever had a bow in the neck. I have not in any way customized the bass unless you count changing the strings lol. The only problem I have ever had with this bass is the connection to the instrument cable input tends to break easily. This can be fixed by some simple soldering. The tone of the active pickups in my opinion is best for a slap style of playing and to my ears they really lack in punch and the low end. Over all I would rate this bass a 9/10"

my tastes have since changed lol.....

JMacBass65 likes this.
  11. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    The response to my original post was very rude and negative.:blackeye: The response was edited or deleted. Enough said....

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  12. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Not sure, but it might have been this one. I rarely start a new thread if there is something already there (even if it's 10 years old) except for build threads.

Show us your 3 pickup basses!

JMacBass65 likes this.
  13. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I used to have an Ergodyne bass, an EDC700. I loved that bass, but sold it when I started using Jazz basses full time. I wouldn't mind getting another EDC700, at some point. Here's a not-very-clear pic of it:

20141207_113621.jpg

PortlandBass77 and JMacBass65 like this.
  14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Oh, she's fine. It's been years now. She still does get somewhat anxious about music taking me away from family - when she feels like she's not seeing me, I hear it. I've quit projects when there gets to be too much on my plate. But she said pretty early on (after that initial introduction) - "Some women's husbands go have bowling night. Mine goes to band practice."

JMacBass65 and crucislancer like this.
  15. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    My first post was very long ago:

"Wanted to trade, raisins for juice box - minty new"

JMacBass65 likes this.
  16. Peavey Dyna-Bass (Unity) String Gauge

This was my first thread, asking for info on a Peavey Dyna-Bass. I got no replies, not even a "Welcome to TalkBass!". :crying:

(Maybe my own fault for not realizing the no pic/no bass rule)

JMacBass65 and GregT like this.
  17. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
  18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    How are all you guys finding your first posts/threads?!

19. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Go to the drop down menu for your account, and click on your picture. Look for the tab that says postings.

20. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    To quote many a TB snob: USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. :):):):):):):):)

I actually don't know if the one I posted is the very first. Just the first one I can remember.

BassGreaser likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021