1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What were Squier thinking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mitchgilbert, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitchgilbert

mitchgilbert Guest

Oct 5, 2011
    Central Coast, NSW.
    As I'm sure most of you know by now Squier released a Pete Wentz signature bass ages ago, which is hands down one of the ugliest pieces of crap I've ever seen. For those of you who haven't seen it:

Fender® Products

Hideous, right?

Well anyway, I just jumped onto the Fender website because my GAS levels were rising and the first thing I see is that they have released an Avril Lavigne signature Tele.

Fender® Products

Now I know it's only a Squier and will at most be worth a couple of hundred bucks, but what I don't get is what these horrible, horrible 'musicians' have done to deserve a signature model?

:rollno:

2. BassPenguin22

BassPenguin22

Jun 5, 2010
    I dont think they were thinking about the best player as much as what would sell. They aren't very appealing instruments though.

3. mitchgilbert

mitchgilbert Guest

Oct 5, 2011
    Central Coast, NSW.
    That's what angers me, why do they compliment these tweeny pop stars by giving them these signatures? I get that they're a company and that they need to make money, but Avril Lavigne? What an absolute joke.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    You seemed quite judgemental and jealous...until I looked at your profile and saw what you indicate your age to be and all made sense. :)

5. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    They make what they think will sell. And note that it's Squier releasing these, not Fender. What the artists have 'done to deserve' a signature model is be succesful and have a fanbase. That sells a lot better than critical acclaim but no fans.

I actually quite like that Avril Lavigne tele. Mind you, I have a 'Jewel' signature Taylor acoustic guitar (I've never even heard her music, it was just the guitar that worked best for me).

6. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    If I was a tweenage girl wanting to learn to play guitar and loved Avril, I would beg and plead for my parents to buy her signature Tele. I don't think it looks that bad. Don't be blinded by jealousy and keep in mind the Tele's demographic. When you put that into prospective, it isn't a bad looking guitar at all.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Apparently they sell just fine, as the Avril signature Tele has been around for years.

Signature models aren't about "who is the best player"...they're about "what will sell". In fact, that's why you see Fender, the top selling company, really just offering variations on two basses...the P Bass and the J Bass.... because those are what sells. Any time they offer something out of the norm, it pretty much flops. Business is about making money ...

8. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland

They were anonymous bitter failed rockers on internet forums obviously. Lol, joking.

You need to get over yourself. You are in no position to be an arbiter of who Squier of Fender can or cannot give a signature model to. I doubt you have achieved anything in musical terms that puts you in a position to judge. You might be able to play bass more skilfully than Wentz, but you haven't put in the hard work of being a touring musician I wager.

Looking on your profile you list Roger Waters as an influence. Does he deserve a signature model? He was tone deaf and played crude bass lines with a pick. He couldn't keep rhythm and time. Look here:

PinkFloydB_32A.

Roger needed Rick Wright to tune his bass. I've seen footage of Pink Floyd from 1971 where Gilmour has to tune Waters' bass as well.

Oh, but I suppose Roger was a 'feeling' player or some other cork-sniffing excuse that somehow lets some lame duck musicians through the gate yet picks up on others for no reason.

I dare say Pete Wentz could outplay Roger. Probably has more stamina, arguably has a better tone (he has a really good P-bass with rounds tone, Roger had an obnoxious springly flatwound tone for most of the '70s).

9. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I'm more confused by the James Johnston Squier Jazz - as nice-looking as it is with the matching headstock, and as much as I like Biffy Clyro, do they have a numerous enough fan base to justify a signature bass?

(Looking at the current range of Squier sig basses, I had to check who Mikey Way is. I guess he fits in with the original Pete Wentz/Avril Lavigne comments.)

There's a general split between Fender and Squier sigs. The Fenders tend to be either bassists that are well-known and regarded by other bassists, or influential in some way. The Squiers tend to be bassists for popular bands that non-bassists will be more familiar with. Interestingly Mike Dirnt seems to fall into both categories.

10. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    No furor over the Mikey Way Mustang bass?

11. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I can understand those easier than this one?

wHAT'S-zUP wID dAT?

broncoface.

Tabdog

12. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I wonder if this tele has razor blades on the bottom of the neck so the emo and new aged punk kids can cut them selfs while they play. LOL. Just a joke.

13. You should hope these sell very well. The profit Fender makes on them will help to subsidize the affordability of your GAS.

14. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    What about the Gibson Jonas Brothers Melody Maker?

These are for kids who believe what the marketing department tells them.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Roger Waters was and is a fantastic bass player, and one of the greatest songwriters of all times. He came up with some of the best known and solid bass lines of any hit songs I can think of.

That was a ridiculously ignorant post.

His tone was excellent. There is nothing wrong with Roger Waters' tone.

You have belittled the OP, and a player who will always be more highly regarded than you.

And that, my friend, is the meaning of the word "IRONY."

16. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
    Anime loving Hot Topics teenage rocker girls play instruments too, you know.

17. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    Anything with a skull 'n crossbones logo on it is pretty lame IMO, regardless of the artist it represents.

18. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    "The use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning".

That, my friend, is the meaning of the word 'irony'.

But that was a really good attempt. :bag:

(Pressing clothes with a hot metal plate is a different thing altogether.)

19. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    It will sell because "It's all sleek and black and stuff, and it's loaded with cool features like Pete's own red bat/heart design on the body"

20. To me, the worst looking stuff Fender makes is anything with the Jaguar/Jazzmaster type bodies.
    PUKE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.