1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whatever happened to the Gibson Raid outcome?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by XtheDeadPawn, Jan 6, 2012.

1. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    I was just watching a Youtube video then saw in the related videos the Gibson raid confrence (Misspelt I know) the CEO held outside their Nashville factory. He said that the Goverment halted all Gibson production while they investigated wether Gibson's woods were legally obtained.

Well Gibson is making guitars again so what happened did the DA drop the case on Gibby or did Gibby get it all squared away with Uncle Sam?

I think the woods in question were Rosewood and Ebony acquired from India and Madagascar respectivly.

2. "They...come in with weapons, they seized a half-million dollars worth of property, they shut our factory down, and they have not charged us with anything," says Gibson Guitars CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, referring to the August 2011 raid on his Nashville and Memphis factories by agents from the Departments of Homeland Security and Fish & Wildlife.

The feds raided Gibson for using an inappropriate tariff code on wood from India, which is a violation of the anti-trafficking statute known as The Lacey Act. At issue is not whether the wood in question was endangered, but whether the wood was the correct level of thickness and finish before being exported from India. "India is wanting to ensure that raw wood is not exported without some labor content from India," says Juskiewicz.

Andrea Johnson of the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) counters that "it's not up to Gibson to decide which laws...they want to respect." She points out that Gibson had previously been raided under The Lacey Act for imports from Madagascar.

This much is clear: The government has yet to file any charges or allow Gibson a day in court to makes its case, much less retrieve its materials. "This is not about responsible forestry and sustainable wood or illegal logging, this is about a bureaucratic law," argues Juszkiewicz, who testified last year before a congressional hearing convened by Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.). It is, he says, "a blank check for abuse."

About 6 minutes. Written, produced, and narrated by Anthony L. Fisher; shot by Joshua Swain.

The Great Gibson Guitar Raid: Months Later, Still No Charges Filed - YouTube

The Great Gibson Guitar Raid: Months Later, Still No Charges Filed - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

3. Ron Plichta

Ron Plichta

May 19, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    After what Juskewicz tried to do to Paul Reed Smith with his bogus lawsuit on the PRS Singlecut, I have no sympathy for him.

4. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    But that's not the issue here is it.

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    You have to dig deep to find the truth.
    We are not allowed to talk about it here.

6. :confused:

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Every thread has been shut down

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Every thread has been political.

9. This one is still open...:eyebrow:

10. big brother at his worst. Without clear laws the government can do what ever it wants, and has for most of my life. Get out there and have a say.... VOTE and write your congressman (about all you can do)

11. With out getting into my own party affiliation I will say I have ALWAYS felt my vote was for the lessor of two evils. Not for the "best candidate" as I haven't liked any of them in decades. I do believe I MUST vote or I give up my say and my power.

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    There is no way of talking about it because the whole thing is political.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Because nothing has been disgust about it.

14. absolute power corrupts absolutely

15. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    I thought it was pretty disgusting... jus my $.02

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    LOL true. Auto correct bites again.

17. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I work in import/export and deal with US Customs all the time. The Lacey Act is pretty straight forward. If they're in violation it is either intentional or they are dumb.

18. ok then why would the government seize the product and not charge the offender?

19. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm not sure. Could be that they could prove the woods were illegally obtained, but couldn't prove Gibson knowingly pursued illegal material. Usually the offending goods are simply seized and there is no criminal charge unless there is strong evidence of a plot to deceive.

20. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I saw an article on Monday .. and maybe on You-tube with Rand Paul describing NEW legislation that will exclude the USA form adhering to other coutrys laws in regards to provisions in the Lacy agreement so that companies such as Gibson will not be hunted down and deprived their due Process.. Im sure there is something about it in a Rand Paul site somewhere..