What's a great sounding mini amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hubbabubba, Sep 24, 2021.

1. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I do like the Phil Jones double four a lot, but it is spendy.

The Ampeg BA-108V2 is still in stock at Guitar Center for $120. What I like most about it is that the Aux in can either be stereo 1/8", or mono 1/4" (so you can input from a preamp pedal), and the Aux has its own volume control (most don't).

ba108v2.jpg

2. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    Headphones that way you won’t hear her

CEFox and DJ Bebop like this.
  3. Fretless370

Fretless370 Fretless AND Headless

Dec 1, 2015
    Orange - Crush 25BX

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. I won a Hartke HD25 as a raffle prize. It’s turned out to be a little champ!

Now it doesn’t sound amazing, it’s not hifi, but it’s fine. And good headphone jack and aux in, small and light.

But that Quilter Interbass looks amazing, if you can find a small cabinet to play through, or for headphones.

I recently borrowed, and plan on buying, an Acme Low B Series II that is tiny but sounds great. It’s a ported 3-way, 10”, 3.5” mid, dome tweeter. Not really light though, it only weighs a tiny bit more than the HD25.

squarepeg likes this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have one. I use it for bass and guitar when I need to be quiet. I love it.

mcrawfordmusic likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Just dime it. Let ‘em know a bass player lives next door.

7. Hubbabubba

Hubbabubba Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2020
    Thanks to all of you guys. You awesome.

8. mcrawfordmusic

mcrawfordmusic

Dec 11, 2010
    Australia
    I’ll throw in my suggestion for a small amp if you decide that’s best.

I loved the Ampeg BA-108 I had.

9. 4 Out of 5

4 Out of 5

Oct 6, 2017
    New Zealand
    I was in a similar situation to the OP needing to move my bass playing around the house to avoid disturbing people.
    Bought a Vox amplug, and have found it to be awesome. I ended up playing bass more often because it's just so convenient. Next I bought the studio monitor headphones, then I upgraded the Amplug to the Zoom multi effects, which also is awesome, and I use it for gigging too.
    Both the amplug and the zoom have lots of built-in drum patterns to play along with, which is such a valuable tool for practicing.
    I now also have a Warwick BC10 combo for when I want to give my ears a rest from the headphones. It's only 10 Watts, but I've never pushed it anywhere near it's limit, as most of my practice is in the evening when my kids are in bed. 20210926_171804.jpg

Hubbabubba likes this.
  10. mattm

mattm

Apr 7, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, this thread has given me a lot to think about. I keep going back and forth between thinking one of the sim apps on iPad would be good enough for sitting around the bedroom and playing with headphones, or getting a small head like the TC Electronic BAM200 for $170. But this Zoom B1 Four thing also seems pretty great.

Here's one of my biggest questions, though: Are there any good $50 or less headphones?

11. I am no expert, but in my opinion no, there are not. Especially not when it comes to bass. I would budget in the $150 to $200 to get headphones that will work with bass and be comfortable for long sessions.

marchone likes this.
  12. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    Superlux hd35 or koss porta pro are two pair of headphones you might like.

13. King Louie

King Louie

Jul 17, 2016
    15W may still rattle the walls very seriously. Do not be irritated by radios claiming to have 300W. Those are fantasy watts, but bass amp watts are real watts. I think the NUX mighty plug has fantastic sound over headphones, much better than other headphone outs on cheaper devices like practice amps, and it is very comfortable to use.

Luigir likes this.
  14. Saxoprane

Saxoprane

Sep 2, 2021
    France
    My "small" pedalboard is perfect for live and silent practice using the DSM Simplifier Bass Station. :thumbsup:
    And he's powered by a Rockboard Power LT XL, so easily portable in the bedroom. :smug:

15. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Still rocking the Korg Bass Pandora through cheap headphones. (Ok,ok, I'm cheap.)

16. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have a 3 and a 4, best little bass buddies ever invented!

Tendril likes this.
  17. Hubbabubba

Hubbabubba Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2020
    So I did what many of you suggest to do and get some good headphones :)
    I found in my pedal box a tc electronics pre amp with headphones out problem solved
    Thank you guys again for all input. Peace

marchone likes this.
  18. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 1:17 PM
    Hubbabubba likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021