What's a great sounding mini amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hubbabubba, Sep 24, 2021.

1. dcbluesbass

dcbluesbass

Dec 29, 2007
    S.E. Indiana
    Line 6 Lowdown 110

2. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    This. Small enough she won't notice, basically out of sight when not in use (throw it in a sock drawer! under your pillow! If you ever go to prison, you can "sneak" one in! Ok, maybe not that small).

marchone likes this.
  3. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Headphones are your wife’s best friend

4. bikemusic

bikemusic

Feb 6, 2019
    +1 on the Quilter Interbass. The OP did say "great sounding" and that little box has all the mojo of the larger Quilter Labs amps packed in a microscopic 45 watt package. Features include a DI, headphone out, effects loop, aux in, and a really nice tube amp emulation. With enough speaker area you can even gig with it (I have). It sits in my living room on a 1x8 cabinet and my wife totally tunes me out.

kasbrey, HolmeBass and squarepeg like this.
  5. eliascalles

eliascalles Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Mexico
    Gk mb110. Great amp

6. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    The king of bedroom closet rigs, IMHO, is the Rumble Studio 40. It's a small amp, with headphone jack, good amp/cabinet models, a bunch of effects, Looper, onboard USB audio interface, wifi, Bluetooth, an app ... etc. I've been playing with mine for a couple years now, and I am still just scratching the surface of all the stuff it does.

ShawnG and jthisdell like this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I am personally extremely satisfied with my Sennheiser HD 380 Pro studio headphones, both for home practice, listening to music, recording/tracking and mixing/mastering.

Very clear, close to flat response, and realistic audio image representation.

That model has been discontinued though, but the Sennheiser HD 300 Pro seems to be it's closest related successor.

8. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have the older Bronco model and it is a nice amp.

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Headphones and headphone amp are going to sound significantly better than a 15 watt amp.

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Roland bass Microcube or Rumble 15, both excellent. Lime in, headphones out. Done.

Artman likes this.
  11. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    The Quilter Interbass is a great sounding little amplifier. I have the Hotone thunder bass as well but I prefer the Quilter. In all honesty I prefer the tone of the Quilter to my Mesa Prodigy.

Going low power through your current cabinet will be more satisfying than a small combo. IMHO

12. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    I am thinking about buying a Phil Jones 44 70 watts 9 pounds size of a shoe box

Artman likes this.
  13. Ampeg Ba108
    $100 and your done.

macmanlou and coy garcia like this.
  14. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    A cheap audio interface, decent headphones and a free DAW and you're good to go.

15. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    Download something like AmpliTube, about $200 bucks, and you’ll have a nice selection of great bass amps and cabs, and different rooms to play them in. Plug in some headphones and you’re set.

16. coy garcia

coy garcia

Jan 18, 2020
    They do sound great. My favorite practice amp by far, i've had it many years.

Pdaddy1978 and macmanlou like this.
  17. CEFox

CEFox

Jan 1, 2021
    I use a Hartke HD 50 as a practice amp, when I need to keep it down I use Mackie MC 250 headphones. I've found it to be a good combo.
    They also have an HD 25 combo if you'd prefer something smaller.
    I noticed the ZOOM BX 4 mentioned it makes a reasonably good headphone amp and has plenty of other features. I've been know to use it for a practice amp as well.

18. Jjacks651

Jjacks651

Feb 7, 2014
    Connecticut
    +1 for the Roland Microcube Bass RX. I have one and it works and sounds great for low volume practice either indoors or out. I've used it with the battery power now on 4 occasions that lasted 3 hours each and the batteries are still powering the amp. I've heard it being used outdoors by a solo act guitar player and it sounded good for that too.

John

19. Of course! When I buy new strings, I have to get a new bass to fit them. Goes without saying! Practice/mini amp? Doubly so....

bdplaid likes this.
  20. 6a00d83452989a69e20128761fc9f5970c.jpg

:)

Hubbabubba likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021