1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats best cabinet for Eden Wt800c???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Al17bee, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Al17bee

Al17bee

Jan 22, 2013
    Just purchased a WT800c and paired it with Ampeg PR410HLF. Sounds like crap. It farts real easily no matter how I EQ it.I used in bridged mode and cab is 4 ohms. I use a 5 string Jazz and play in a Reggae band. I want CLEAN DEEP headroom. I don't want go any bigger than a 410. Any suggestion's?? :crying:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    SVT410hlf

3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    If you like the Eden tone, I've always thought the Eden cabs sound best with Eden heads. If you want clean and deep maybe try finding an older (can't speak to the quality of the new stuff) 410XST (not XLT) or maybe 2 210XSTs.
    Also, if you're bridging, you're hitting that cab with 1000 watts. Are you running the amp wide open?

4. Al17bee

Al17bee

Jan 22, 2013
    No . Not even at 50 percent . Thanks for the suggestions:bassist:

5. For deep, powerful tone, the D-410XST cabinet might be just what you are looking for. It is a hifi cabinet that can get very loud without breakup. For more midrange, check out the XLT version.

6. Look for something like a Mesa Powerhouse 410 or a Acme cab. I'm sure you will be able to find something like that used for under $600-$700.

7. Deep and loud are opposing forces, not at all friendly. When you say "no matter how I EQ it" do you really mean that? If you take out the really stupid deep frequencies the cab will go very loud.

I think you probably want too much. Only so much volume can be had from one 4x10, even the SVT version.

You can hit a fearful + ffsub with 1000W and it won't fart out. Not cheap.

8. Al17bee

Al17bee

Jan 22, 2013
    When I EQ a lot of the bass out volume drops by quite a bit . Also not a great tone for reggae . What's a fearful and ffsub..?..?

9. I'm talking about stuff below 60Hz for a 5 string and 80 hz for a 4 string. Try winding the parametric bass selector down to its lowest frequency and cutting it fairly hard while boosting the regular bass knob up a little. That may get you a notch out of the flappy bass without losing the good stuff.

A highpass filter at 50Hz frees up a lot of power for 60Hz which is very deep bass enough for reggae. There's a large group who are an octave out on what their idea of deep bass consists of. The low fundamental tones count for very little actual bass.

Check out the Rolls SX21 mini crossover, $ 65 at parts express.

10. And yeah, bridging 1100W into a 600W cab is just asking for trouble. Be careful you don't cook the cab if you get the EQ sorted or highpass.

11. Wait. If you wanted a deep tone, wouldn't it make more sense to not use 10 inch speakers? Have you tried upping the speaker size? Maybe I'm just foolish, but I'm under the impression that 10in are better for punchier sound, while you can go to a larger speaker, like a 15in, for the deeper, bassier tones. Additionally, while I don't go for a "deep" tone, I'm pretty satisfied with my Eden head run through an Eden cab.

12. Amgeg says it goes way low. 33hz at -3dB is no joke, but putting huge power into those sorts of lows can still flab the speakers. And no 15's don't go that low.

13. First, read this article starting about the seventh paragraph. It explains that the first harmonic of a bass is actually a much louder tone than the fundamental. Almost 12dB louder in fact. This is why response down to 40Hz, or 30Hz with a 5-string, is not absolutely necessary. A solid 60Hz can be more effective.

I think you should try tweaking your existing setup a bit first. As mentioned before, try it unbridged. The suggestion to roll off the very low end is a good one. Other options include using a high-pass filter (HPF) like fdeck's.

If you want to try other cabinets, the Hartke 4.5XL can be found used at pretty good prices.

Good luck !

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You might consider a DNA DNS-410.

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Try removing some lowest bass and cranking the volume, you'll be surprise at how punchy and round and powerful the bass will sound. Real low bass is rare in reggae, it often just sounds like mud.

I wouldn't bridge either, I'd add a second cab for real power.

16. acmebass

acmebass Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Englewood, CO
    Owner/Designer, Acme Sound/Acme Low B
    I came to different conclusions than you did, after reading the Stereophile article.

In terms of the methodology, the experiment is performed using a four-string bass, presumably with passive pickups, using the signal from the Fender Bassman's output, on which the tone controls had been tweaked "to add a degree of treble bite to the sound and boosting the level of the instrument's bottom octave but not otherwise significantly changing its fundamental character."

The article shows a 2nd harmonic being reproduced at a much higher level than the fundamental. It doesn't address why this is happening, nor does it give us any reason to believe that this is a characteristic of all basses or all amps, nor does it suggest that a bass guitar reproduction system doesn't need full low-end extension.

Quite the opposite.

1) There is no reason to believe that this is characteristic of all basses. Many modern instruments use active pickups, many of which would exhibit much flatter response down low, and would therefore not show the apparent attenuation of the fundamental with respect to the 2nd Harmonic that the article suggests the Fender in question exhibits.

2) The Fender Bassman has a transformer output, and could easily have a similar rolloff. This concern is not addressed. A vastly more accurate picture of the harmonic content of the instrument would be measured directly at the output of the instrument. Would such a result be similar to that of other basses, or would it look like what we see here? Well, we don't know, do we?

3) The characteristics of the tone control are not described. It could easily provide greater boost at the frequency of the 2nd harmonic than at the frequency of the fundamental. There are all kinds of "tone controls" out there.

4) The Fender Precision in question is a four-string. Many, if not most bassists use a five-string these days anyway, with, as I said, active pickups, and any similarity to this Fender on the E string would be entirely coincidental, and an extrapolation to include the Low B note would be a wild guess, at best.

5) Setting aside all these questions pertaining to imprecise methodology, we can still give the experiment the benefit of the doubt, if we wish. What then?

If was assume that this is "global" characteristic, which applies to all basses (a very specious assumption at best), is it an argument that we don't need an extended low end from a bass cab? Absolutely not!

If the level of the fundamental is already attenuated by the instrument pickup and/or the amplifier, it in no way makes the case that the loudspeaker should also have a wimpy low-end. In fact, it bolsters the argument that the cab SHOULD be capable of accurate, extended bass, BECAUSE of the very characteristics the article points to.

I mean, geez- why have any low notes on the bass at all? See what I mean?

In short, I see sloppy, unfocused, unspecified methodology being used in the experiment itself, and I disagree violently with the conclusions you draw from it.

Don't get me wrong, I say this with love, and I in no way fault you for coming away from the article believing what you believe, but a closer look reveals that there's no reason to believe it!

A four-string bass needs extension to E, and a five-string bass needs extension to B.

Period. And the article offers nothing to dispute this.

Thanks,
    Andy

17. My subs can't even make a fundamental of E but they pound out low B because they can do gobs of 60Hz.

You can bet old time reggae guys never had anything like the modern gear. They were "making do" with 2nd harmonics just fine.

18. acmebass

acmebass Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Englewood, CO
    Owner/Designer, Acme Sound/Acme Low B
    To "pound out" the 2nd harmonic of a particular note is not the same as reproducing the fundamental.

I can certainly accept that, as a matter of taste, you enjoy the sound of the 2nd harmonic sans the fundamental, but that's a different question than the one I was addressing.

I disagree with the blanket notion that reggae players don't enjoy well-reproduced fundamentals. That's not what I hear from my reggae-oriented customers, nor from the reggae albums in my collection.

I would certainly agree that people "make do" with all kinds of things. Hey- rock'n'roll will find a way. The guitar player I worked with in high school made do with a Webcor tape recorder, until he could afford an amp. He ended up in Miles Davis' band. But not with a Webcor tape recorder.

Thanks,
    Andy

19. Unless you are King Tubby :cool:
    1258843120_e8980b7673.

20. No 30hz coming out of those things either I bet.