1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's in your case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by skygzr, Dec 26, 2016.

1. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    I'm sure someone has done this thread before but nothing is really new, is it? I mean (except for you fretless guys) we all play the same twelve notes so maybe we carry the same stuff, too? The pile of loot seen in the picture varies but some of it is essential and is in every case I have.

case.

1) Altoids tin. It contains foam earplugs, picks and a few dollars in bills and change. Yes I've tried fancier earplugs and yes the foam plugs roll around with all the other stuff and yes I put them in my ears. My ears, my Altoids tin, my rules. No other mint tins are allowed (I'm looking at you, Trader Joes).

2) Spare set of strings. Spares? But no one ever breaks bass strings, right? RIGHT?

3) Tuner. In a perfect world I'd do it by ear by frankly the tuner does a better job. Besides I have Altoids tins stuck in my ears. WHAT? Note there's also a tuner clipped to the headstock.

4) Short 1/4" cord 'cause you always need one for plugging A into B.

5) Sharpie. Indispensable for when you need to leave someone a big-ass note they can't miss ("Dude, the sax player is in jail AGAIN"). If anyone ever asks for an autograph, I'm ready.

6) Notebook with pages that tear out easily (see #5). Its under the Altoids tin. Not just for big-ass notes, its more subtle (and safer) than handing out your room key. Not that I ever did that.

7) Spare 9V battery in plastic case for active basses. No, the Dano is not active; in fact its barely passive. But we understand each other.

8) Some kind of tool(s). Frequently the sax player is the tool, but he's in jail. In this case (get it?) its a screwdriver with additional heads in its tail. The one you need is missing. And there's always a pocket knife in my pocket.

9) Strap. I'm not fond of leather. Dude I played with in college would sweat more than any other person I've known before or since. His strap STUNK and that spoiled it for me.

10) DI Box. I never used to carry one and I always needed it. Now I always have one and never need it. I keep it in case the keyboard player needs to borrow it.

11) The pill bottle is empty and has been for many years. But it's just the right size for one boiled shrimp from the buffet.

12) My little inspection flashlight is out on a bathroom break. So are both 1/4" instrument cables. A proper 1/4" cable is straight on one end and right-angle on the other ('cause I said so). I like Eneloop rechargeable batteries for the flashlight because they'll hold a charge for years under no load.

And just because I don't have a enough stuff to carry around there's also a small carry on (my wayward son) sized suitcase with about twenty pounds of extra EVERYTHING....cords, multimeter, soldering iron, pliers for when the drummer forgets his drum key, all that stuff. I usually only bring that along for bigger gigs.

How about you? Watcha got?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  2. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Two tuners.
    Cleaning cloth.
    Pair of wire cutters.
    Tuner crank.
    Pack of smokes. (I'm trying to quit)

NigelD likes this.
  3. Everything you mentioned plus:

Duct Tape
    Bottle opener

vilshofen likes this.
  4. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Tuner
    String winder+cutter
    A roll of solder
    A pack of guitarron and bass strings
    Instrument cable
    2 extra straps
    Headphone amp
    Chewing gum

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Other than a Mogami cable and a PolyTune clip-on, the only thing a good bassist needs...
    k2zkeg.

rtav, Snowglo, bassdude51 and 6 others like this.
  6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I think you've got it covered.

1) no Altoids tin for me. Picks go directly in the gig bag. I have no idea how many are in there, because I usually forget to take the one I'm using off the bridge. Eventually the bass won't fit in the bag, and I'll take a few out. My 40 year old sonic ear protectors are in my separate IEM camera tote. No money, cause I'm broke.

2) Spare strings go in my bag of spare cables etc that I never use. Goes in the car trunk, but I never take it into the gig.

3) Tuner. Yup. My main use of the tuner is to shut up the guitarist who tells me I'm not in tune. It has more credibility.

4) I have those short cables as well. They are useful.

5) no Sharpie. I'm not famous. I remember we were doing a gig one time at a club that backed up to the county fairground. There was a large party of very inebriated mud buggy racers that the club owners had to usher out the door. As they were going out, the last one informed them, " you'll regret this; we're famous."

6) see #5

7) no spare 9V battery. I like to live dangerously. BTW, I like your case.

8) I think I've got one of those tools in the bag that never gets used. Last I checked. Maybe not. I'm not sure.

9) Strap. I like the leather ones. My strap, my sweat.

10) DI box. Sadowsky Outboard. Check

11) pill bottle. That one is in the bag I never use. It's got fuses for amps I sold 10 years ago in it.

12) proper instrument cable; no flashlight - use the app on my phone for that one.

:D:thumbsup:

7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Not much use, I reckon? Us bass players are a lonely bunch...

jaybones, BuzzCanyon, Gaolee and 4 others like this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    They go faster than felt picks.

bassballs27 and osv like this.
  9. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Most everything you mentioned, but it got me thinking -- why do I need over a hundred picks?

10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Shotglass
    Bottle of bourbon
    Nail clippers
    Compass
    Old set lists
    Business card of a bail bondsman

11. rumblejunkie

rumblejunkie

Nov 19, 2011
    Falkirk
    Spare 9v batteries , strings , tuner , microfiber cloth , spare batteries for the tuner , some small tools , bass and strap (obviously) and some picks although I dont use them much . I keep all my cables , wirless kit , footswitch , Di and power cables all in a seperate bag .

12. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    In my jazz case I've got the basics BUT in my P bass case-well I cant go into details but mostly non musical stuff. Just in case stuff.:thumbsup: ok to use your imagination.

comatosedragon likes this.
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I only need two.
    15h204w.
    I actually keep them in my wallet and have been using them all year...they last forever.

14. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Just last week, I bought 20 of those wedgies. Great deal for $10. I eat em up. 1 pick last me about a month.

jd56hawk likes this.
  15. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I used to play clubs fulltime in the 70's and 80's. Most of the places were nice - some, not so nice. Always used to keep a piece of paper with my friend's contact info.

He was also an attorney and a judge in the county where I lived.

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  16. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I changed strings for my guitar player, cause I'm handy with a Floyd Rose. He had the most huge giant set of scissors I've ever seen in his case. Don't know what that was all about. Never did get a straight answer either why they were in there.

comatosedragon likes this.
  17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Cord.
    Strap.
    Pick i never use.
    Old setlist.
    Jesus icon picture that has lived there for 25 years

Felken and Jeff K like this.
  18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Soft, medium or hard?

19. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    herb

20. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I've used the mediums, but hard lasts longer, and they soften as you play them.

jd56hawk likes this.