1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's with Ibby?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DC7, Aug 1, 2020.

1. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA

I couldn't agree more, I bought a gsr206 and my ehb within a week of each other. Love them both!

2. my pair of 85 ibanez roadstar ii basses

20200705_180516.jpg

I've had the people rb850 since i was 13, my first bass
    the black one i restored this year. immediately sold my fender (bridge humbucker and p pickup, preamp, etc) i had been playing for a decade because this thing was just plug and play (and like half the weight)
    these 80s ibanez basses are probably the best value out there. $300-400 for amazing instruments

3. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    Peavey does make good stuff, especially the US made amps. I have a “session bass” head and used along side it for years ( although I sold it ) a Peavey “T-max” head. I ended up going down the Ampeg road after that and mainly using a SVT-5 head with a SVT 4/10 + 1/15 bottom. I use to run the top 4 ten with the T-Max and the bottom 15 with the session bass. Not sure why I didn’t just stick with the 2 peavey’s as the Ampeg wasn’t better, just different and was easier to bring along as it was only one head.

HearNoStevil likes this.
  4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The sad truth is most expect a bassist to play Fender. I've owned multiple P and J basses only to see them go for stuff that works better for me.

As for why people don't play Ibanez, IME it's been the neck - people either don't like the more narrow string spacing, think the neck is too thin, or both. That was the case for me and many others who sold their Ibbies.

I found that Schecter fits me perfectly. Fender is not the silver bullet.

nabilhuakbar likes this.
  5. mistermikev

mistermikev

Nov 3, 2015
    don't take this the right way... but I think that anyone who doesn't appreciate both doesn't deserve either. both do things the other doesn't. both make me play differently... and for that I thank them.

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I don't have any Ibanez basses for the same reason that I don't have any Fender Jazz basses: My gargantuan hands don't work with skinny necks. For some folks, they're just the ticket. For me, the strings are too close together, and I trip over myself when trying to play on a skinny neck. I'm actually faster and cleaner on a wider neck.

If they're your thing, go for it. Nothing wrong with them - they (like pretty much everything in this world) just don't work for everyone.

7. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    Fenders are notorious for being well made and easy to put in the mix, as well as the fact that they're considered classic aesthetic and all that.

Ibanez feel like toys, and maybe not to everybody, but dollar for dollar, Fender is way more road worthy and their sound has much more oomph. Ibas usually sound very mid-cutty and that can be something you want. But fender p and j are both really ballsy and provide a lot of bite and tone that midscooped, active basses like iba are hard pressed to provide. Try and play what you like, cause that's what matters in the end.

But like anything, brands divide people. Sometimes for good reason.

8. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    That's actually easy: higher number, higher price/quality. SR300 is the low end. SR2000 is the high end.

9. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    I can't bond with Ibanez necks, but I love my Ibanez Artcore semi-hollowbody guitar.

10. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Nothing wrong with Ibanez. They make some really nice basses at a good price point. I think the stigma comes from the fact they sell all their instruments under the same name. They don't have a budget low line brand like Squire or Epiphone. So the high end stuff is lumped in with the lower end basses.

Peavey had the same problem.

TL23NC likes this.
  11. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    They used to be my go to bass brand, because ot theirs necks, but I'm into other stuff now. Good basses nonetheless.

DTRN likes this.
  12. Delsan

Delsan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    I can believe it with Peavey. But honestly brand has never made me stop to think about Ibanez's stuff.

Peaveys only good instrument I know of is the Cirrus USA, anything else is budget, at least for what I know.

Sdgrs have a pretty simple to understand model lineup. The higher the number attached to the model name, the more premium the bass. The problem is, at what point do you match a nice Fender?

Fender USA you get a really keen bass with quality hardware and electronics for say 12-1400 USD.

At the same price point, you get an Indonesian Ibanez made with medium to low level stewmac hardware, some "officially licensed electronics" like emghz or at best some low tier bartos/nords made specifically for those basses, and you get a bass that, let's face it, doesn't feel as solidly made as a fender rock.

Ibanez also has too many basses and none that are standout pieces that you say "Ooooooh you mean the good one". Iba has signature models that are supposed to be good. But so does Fender. I'm talking stock normal instrument.

Fender's good ones are USA and to a lesser known extent, the old Japanese ones. Mexicans are obviously budget. Now if you say its a 77 p bass with a maple neck, yeah, nut. But any year fender American is gonna be just great.

By contrast, which ibanez we goin with? The SDQMB400475? Or the SDTSC50875? I'm half joking with these cause the model names are even more convoluted than this.

Lemme add that I'm a Mayones player. I dont play ibas and I'm getting rid of my fender precision (though it's a god tier bass)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    MD-BassPlayer likes this.
  13. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    I have an Ibanez Talman 310 and I have been playing finer instruments for 25 years. I don't enjoy playing the majority of Ibazez basses but I have never been so impressed with a $300 bass in my life. Also, I can't remember the model but the Ibanez hollow body that came out in the last 3-5 years is my favourite fretless bass to play. I don't desire to have a fretless bass so it's not for me but whenever I see one in a store I give it go. Almost makes me want to buy it...but 4 basses is enough for me...and one of them that Talman.

14. nabilhuakbar

nabilhuakbar

Jan 13, 2020
    Utah
    That's pretty much it. I loved the way my SR750 looked and sounded but I couldn't get over the super thin pencil neck.

If Ibanez released something with a Jazz-width neck I'd be "shut up and take my money!"-ing it in a heartbeat

15. crankypants

crankypants

Aug 12, 2019
    Wow! 5 pages! Are we going to 11?

zie likes this.
  16. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    Try the 2405 or the anb205

17. I dunno. Ibby made it's name with their 70s basses... long time ago, and they aren't particularly modern sounding basses.. not like sound gears are or btbs are.

I loved and played them because they were better built, had better features and design, and sounded good.

Same as now.

Fenders sound great. They're both great.

Cheaper fenders don't all sound great, but some do. Like cheaper Ibanez. Pretty comparable, but I get more for my money with ibanez.

Sr1300 or whatever sounds like top of the line, which helps I'm sure.

But my current Ibanez is bottom of the line yet it's still amazing.

18. With black hardware (the gold hardware is a deal-breaker for me) I consider the Ibanez SR-1300 a highly desirable bass. More desirable to me than any Fender Jazz.

With the SR-1300 and other models like it (e.g. the SR-1800), Ibanez takes an approach to instrument-making fundamentally different from Fender's.

1. The people who designed the original Fender basses - George Fullerton and Leo Fender - believed in making a body of a single type of wood (e.g. only alder or only ash; the pieces as few as possible in number and as identical as possible in grain, weight, and density) and in making a neck of a single piece of maple with the fingerboard as limited as possible in its power to twist or warp the neck over time. With this, they set the standard for how instruments bearing the Fender name would ever be made, and for how instruments bearing other names (MusicMan and G&L plus many others following their lead) should be made.

The people who design Ibanez instruments cannot be named in the same manner: as individuals whose contributions to instrument design and making set distinct standards and attract followers/imitators. Some Ibanez instruments follow the Fender lead in most ways. Some vary from the Fender standard much more. These include instruments made with bodies comprising multiple species of wood (laminate bodies) and instruments with more on-board tone-shaping control than trad Fenders (e.g. the SR-1300).

2. Whoever owns the rights to make instruments under the Fender name and using Fender trademarks has obligations to make traditional Fender instruments. They can vary somewhat with spin-off models that offer other features. Yet, market forces require them to continue making P and J models that closely resemble what players expect year after year.

Ibanez does not have the same market-expectation forces determining what it makes. Moreover, Ibanez comes from a country where all brands have much more freedom. This is how you can get a Yamaha piano, Yamaha outboard motor, Yamaha motorcycle, and Yamaha electric bass all sporting the very same logo. Yamaha comes from the same country and business culture as Ibanez. Harley-Davidson is known only for motorcycles. 25+ years ago, it also made golf carts. Learning that required looking at the back page of the Holiday Rambler owner's manual. Harley-Davidson comes from the same country and business culture as Fender - typically much more focused. While Ibanez has the freedom to offer an extensive catalogue of models, to change models often, and to drop models and introduce models whenever it chooses, the main trade-off for this freedom is that the Ibanez brand lacks the perennial certainty of meaning that the Fender brand has.

People know the P bass and have known it for decades. Same with the J bass. When it comes to Ibanez basses, I wonder why, for example, SDGR appears in such large letters on the headstock of an SR-1300. Other Ibanez basses don't say SDGR anywhere on them. How they play and how they sound, for many musicians, comes after that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    DC7, 4dog and zie like this.
  19. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I’ve never been draw to Ibanez. When I finally bought a P-bass, it quickly became my favorite.

20. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    I’m a life time Fender player, almost 5 decades, that wanted to check out a decent 5 string. Saw this at my local shop for half price used and bought the thing on impulse. Very impressed with it in every way.

795EA089-17EF-4F89-9180-2454AD8D4BA4.jpeg