1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's with Ibby?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DC7, Aug 1, 2020.

1. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil

Jul 17, 2020
    Numetal was a horrible plague inflicted upon the world around 1999. The plague has for the most part been wiped out, yet some there are still some strains like Korn and Fred Durst who have built up a resistance to treatment and continue to be a nuisance. The easiest way to get rid of them nowadays is to just point and laugh.

2. I think the attraction of Ibanez is that they make a range of basses, in a few different styles, at a number of different price points. There's probably something for everybody.

I've had a number over the years, starting with a lawsuit-era Fender Jazz copy in the 70s, then a Roadster, both of which I really liked. I then had an SR1305 which I also liked and was my main player for a very long time. I also tried one of their Affirma basses when they first came out in the early 90s and it was one of the best basses I'd played up to that point but (if I'm completely honest) I just wasn't brave enough to get it back then because of the unusual shape (which wouldn't bother me now).

Over the years though, I've developed a definite preference for passive basses and was looking for something different when I last when shopping. I tried quite a few and fell in love with my Fender Aerodyne - looks good, sounds good, light weight, and I love the neck.

thabassmon, nuage420b and zie like this.
  3. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I don’t like the way they look, (a bit too boring and thin bodied, or too pointy) or active pickups, so I’ve never really given them the time of day. I don’t recalling ever not liking the sound of the SR’s though. One I tried at GC, I really liked the feel of, but the neck was twisted like mad so it stayed right there on the rack.

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I play mostly 5-string basses (right now, I only own 5’s - four of them).
    Most Ibanez 5’s have narrow 16.5mm string spacing, which I don’t like.

The only Ibanez 5 I would buy is the Cerro single cut with 18mm string spacing. I played that bass and loved it.
    (Stole this photo from TB classifieds)
    1-jpg.jpg
    the BTB’s have 19mm spacing, but I really don’t like the body shape and it’s straight-cut angles.
    EDIT: Also, I absolutely can’t stand the TMB body shape - looks like an amoeba.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Rilence, 31HZ and 21DaHoagie12 like this.
  5. 80’s, 90’s and 2k’s,
    None of these are “high end” but they sure are nice to play.
    (My favorite is the EX)
    Throw in some aftermarket pickups snd create your own sound! 93F14397-37CE-4388-BFD1-96D71122FB4C.jpeg

6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    Many Ibanez come with cheap pre amps and pickups and sound utterly meh. Many come with nice pickups and preamps and sound great. When you sell such a wide variety of price ranges, you are bound to have a variety of experiences.

7. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    One of my all-time favorite basses of all time is the SR3000 Prestige w/ Barts. Just amazing..At one point years ago I had one and thought.."I could live with one bass and this would be it." Stupidly sold it..

pellomoco14 likes this.
  8. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    IMO Ibanez makes great basses at good prices, same with Yamaha. Back when a lot of us started, Fender basically it. If I were starting today I'd play one probably, but my stable is full of Leo-designed basses.

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I play a 'low end' Ibanez, and I think it both sounds and plays great...

... can't speak for others, as I've been the only person to play the one I own.

10. 21DaHoagie12

21DaHoagie12

Feb 21, 2019
    New Jersey
    I think alot of folks are used to hearing or playing like $300 ibanez basses and not the higher end stuff. When I started playing it was with a squire p-bass and it felt too bulky for me as a kid. When I was at the local music shop, the look and feel of the soundgear line caught my attention and I ended up ordering a used SR600 and when it arrived it played soooo much nicer and faster than my p-bass, only thing was the bartolini mk1 pickups and preamp didn't necessarily sound "great" (probably were the 'ibanez sounds poopie' remarks come from). Now that they have paired up with nordstrand and come up with a new preamp the basses are better than ever. And if you swap out an mk1 preamp and replace it with something better, the mk1 pickups in the older basses actually aren't that bad. I've put Aguilar OBPs into three of my 6 ibanez basses and they all sound wayyyyy above their price range. It even kills me passing up ibanez basses in the classifieds but I already own six ibanez basses and don't really need any more xD Image-1.jpg
    don't mind my dumpy basement, here's 5 of the 6: an SR1006, ANB205, SRMS805, SR900 .... a Spector NS-5 CRFM hehe ... and a BTB1605 :D

Basehead, DC7, Relayer71 and 4 others like this.
  11. From my perspective they have a puzzling lineup with all manner of obscure names ie. Sr505 qlabcde, that don’t exactly roll off the tongue, with specifications that seem to change bimonthly. The result being that I have no idea at all, from the model name, whether it’s a $200 instrument or a $2,000 instrument.
    Fender have gone down this road as well with wholesale lineup name changes every 3 years (pro,vintera whatever) or so which is annoying as hell. But we all know what a jazz or precision is.

12. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil

Jul 17, 2020
    I can tell with Covid there isn't any Lysol in your neck of the woods. That bass on the right looks like something growing in a petri dish! :)

13. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    BTW, Japanese made basses like Ibby, Yamaha, Fender made in Japan are held with high regard with the Talkbass community; no one questions Japanese craftsmanship around here.

14. Raoul_Duke

Raoul_Duke Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Michigan
    I’m a Fender guy and a jazz bass junkie, and there is a $600 Ibby at a local shop that I want real bad.

That brand got associated with some terrible music and some big-name no-talent-assclowns back in the 90s. I can speak from experience in saying that their product has steadily improved over the last 15 or so years. Not that it was ever low quality to begin with, but hot damn they are a killer value now.

jdh3000 likes this.
  15. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Ibanez are fine if that's your jam, but I prefer the P or J style basses. But I also think there are other builders that have taken the Fender formula, added some spice and turned it into something even better, but still true to the timeless formula that has been recorded on millions of albums. I've played a Talman TMB-2000 that I liked. Their heyday seems to have been when pointy guitars and neon colors were en vogue, but even then it seemed to be more of a guitar company than a bass company.

nuage420b likes this.
  16. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I gig all the time with my SR 2600. I take it more often than my precision. I know a lot of pros who play them, and I know many who won't touch 'em.

To each his own, but mine sounds and plays great. I use my SR300 on outdoor gigs and I don't feel it's really lacking.

nuage420b likes this.
  17. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    It's the sound of my generation. I'm in my mid 30s. Most of the disposable income is in the 30-50yo demographic who were teens back when nuMetal and rock took over main stream media for a while there. Like it or not you can't deny its impact on culture. You also had Vai along with The Korn chaps and Wes Borland shredding ibanez all over guitar world and MTV Kerang, etc. Today's 20yo millennials are broke unemployed cry babies who aren't buying much. I'm just saying my demographic were teens and 20s when I certain sound was immensely popular and a majority of it came from Ibanez.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    Behind you!
    Nu-metal is solid stuff. I love me some Mudvayne, Slipknot, Sevendust... When my dad passed away, Slipknot's music is what kept my head right in the days following his passing. In particular their "Grey Chapters" album. Oh, and the first Korn album was pivotal in helping me survive high school. Metal elitists can scoff at Korn all they want, but they all effin' LOVED that first Korn album. Don't front!

As for Ibanez... I recall saying else where that Fender has little appeal to me. I find Fender and Fender-clone basses stodgy and old-fashioned in design and too ubiquitous. I'm a filthy hipster who prefers something different. However, I could easily say that Soundgears have been just as ubiquitous as Fenders in my own experience gigging, going to shows, etc. Yet, I would more likely check out a Soundgear over a Fender. I prefer the sleeker, racier, aesthetics of those basses. I'd be most curious to try out the Adam Nitti 5-string bass or the SR2405W, since they have the 45mm nut width I like, but with 18mm string spacing at the bridge.

Raoul_Duke and nuage420b like this.
  19. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I say it in person at least once a week and on TB every other day- CHEAP IBANEZ ARE THE SINGLE MOST UNDERRATED INSTRUMENT ON THE PLANET.
    I mean it!!

The necks play quick and easy, the PJ’s they have are fantastic, with a great J placement for burpy Jaco and the PJ placement/ratio as a combo/even blend is the BEST sounding of ANY non boutique PJ. The solo P is a great sound, but it’s not a true Pbass replacement- that’s it’s only ‘flaw’ but, again, it’s still a great sounding neck pickup / position. The pickups and the bass itself upgrades well for all of the cheap / kinda cheap Ibanez as well, and when you get into the midrange they start having Nordstrand pickups lol...

truly an underrated brand, the cheap ones are better than MANY ‘great’ Basses I’ve played. The only downside is that the cheap ones don’t look incredible, but I love a project anyway.

I play a Roscoe as my main bass, and I still went back and re-bought a GSR to own one, and used the neck of a Mikro 5 as the basis of a short scale ‘piccolo’ bass I built.

nuage420b likes this.
  20. nuage420b

nuage420b Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    @Dincrest I almost grabbed the Adam Nitti model, I went with the EHB instead but the ANB205 is up next, I want a jazz bass with great clean tones that I can run with no effects. I only went with the EHB because I play mostly hard rock and metal.