1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's with Ibby?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DC7, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Steadfast

Steadfast Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    Ibby prestige 2600 is badassed.

Relayer71 and Rilence like this.
  2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Really? I haven't played any of those three basses myself - I'd have a hard time telling which one is which.

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, this just isn't true.

timplog, J_Bass, GlennRH and 4 others like this.
  4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    My first contact with Ibanez was right when I started out. In my home town, before the internet, choices were limited and basically every guitar player with a limited budget played an Ibby.
    They simply had the best guitars with humbuckers south of a thousand bucks available to us back then.
    My current main axe is a BTB single cut 6 string.
    I also own a Silver Series '78 P bass that easily can compete with anything Fender put out in that decade.
    Currently, I am GAS free, but as soon as I can justify owning it and have spare cash lying around, I might consider that fan fret headless six string they put out.

thabassmon and pellomoco14 like this.
  5. HearNoStevil

HearNoStevil

Jul 17, 2020
    Here are some of my favorite Talman basses. I didn't like the stock black pickguards, so I went with two different torts. The tort on the pink is a bit more reddish, but it miraculously brings out the reddish overtones in the fretboard wood (it doesn't show up too well in the pics). I didn't think I'd like the tort on pink, but I think it works.

The tort on the sparkle green I'm not 100% sold on, I may go with glitter gold as the green glitter has a bit of a goldish overtone in the light and I want it to be a bit over the top. But, it actually looks classy and vintage for a distinctly not classy or vintage bass haha. But, nonetheless, I love the Fender pickup covers and ashtrays I've added to those basses; it brings the styling together and pulls in the chrome input jack.

20200801-201432-1.jpg
    20200801-201519-1.jpg 20200801-201606-1.jpg 20200801-204550-1.jpg 20200801-204743-1.jpg

Haroldo and alaskaleftybass like this.
  6. I believe this lack of appreciation of Ibanez is perception rather than real experience. As an SR655 owner I have to say that it is a misconception. My bass is quality. Nordstrand pickups NEVER sound “poopie”. Mine punch as well as any Fender I’ve ever played with a broad tonal range. To be honest though, I have to say my ‘82 Musician doesn’t sound as good as my Precision of the same vintage or as good as the SR655.
    I like some Fender but not all. I like some Gibson but not all. With Ibanez it’s the same. I like some but not all. An open mind and real experience is called for.

7. 21DaHoagie12

21DaHoagie12

Feb 21, 2019
    New Jersey
    As an owner of the Adam Nitti 5 string I can say it is absolutely fantastic; tonally its a modern take on a classic sounding jazz bass sound, and the playability is exactly what you'd exect from a sound gear, but without the classic cramped 16.5 mm spacing of the normal 5 and 6 strings soundgears.. plus the swamp ash body has it weighing in at about 8 pounds so its super light to gig and the single coils sound great live. The only downside I can think of would be that I'm personally used to a B string on a 35" scale bass as opposed to 34" so I increased my gauge size from what I usually use on my Spector and BTB 35" scale basses, as the B felt kinda wobbly to me.

Dincrest likes this.
  8. pellomoco14

pellomoco14

Mar 2, 2017
    Newport, OR
    I've been using sound gears for jazz since I started playing.

Just bought another ibby on the verb!
    GWB1
    NBD post pending

Attached Files:

alaskaleftybass and Lackey like this.
  9. A bit to disagree with here. I own two Ibanez and they are totally different beasts as you might expect of any manufacturer with a varied model range. The old MC924DS is as solid as a rock and still going strong. I would put it up against any Fender including my own for solid construction. It doesn’t sound as good as my Precision but neither do many other “name” basses in my opinion. It’s 38 years old and has seen a lot of touring and is still very solid.
    My SR655 is very different. It has Nordstrand PJ style pickups and sounds and plays great. There is no suggestion that either of these basses are any kind of short cut in quality or playability. They are certainly not toys. They are high quality working instruments that I gig with.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    KramerDon and 21DaHoagie12 like this.
  10. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    Clicked on the thread hoping it would be pro-Ibby, looking forward to a read about that brand whose bases I don't know much about.

Thread seemed to slide immediately into anti-Fender in the OP itself.

OP - like what you will, nobody else does or should care.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  11. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    If this was about Fender or Ric the internet would be full and crashed.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  12. Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about. I have never felt Ibanez gets any ostracising, in fact I would say it gets a lot of love around here (shrug)

Relayer71 and Tari like this.
  13. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    My nr.1 bass is the best bass i ever played and the best Ibanez i ever played - GWB1005

Lackey likes this.
  14. Being a guy that owns two fenders and zero Ibanez, there's nothing wrong with Ibanez basses. Heck if I bought another electric guitar I'd buy an Ibanez, I've just got all my bass needs met with a couple Fenders that I bought used, it just clicked trying them both out and that's it. Definitely just good stuff from Ibanez, if they still made the ATK series I'd have one by now.

Also, referencing fancy wood and active preamps - I don't even use the preamp on my American deluxe Jazz V, and I don't care about fancy wood, in this regard Fender is alright, but I'd also get a Yamaha BB series if I've ever even seen one used.

As far as hating on Ibanez - I don't see it, people love them. I've seen a million soundgears and RGs that just aren't my thing, but the artcore stuff is cool, the ATK series just looks awesome, their acoustics can have some really cool models too.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    johnnylighton likes this.
  15. I love my old Ibby. Its sound is magical.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  16. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

WHOA, that is a sweet-looking bass.

Thanks for posting that!

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  17. Erik Asma

Erik Asma

Jul 20, 2019
    Netherlands
    I had one, SR 1820. With the nordy's. Loved it. Sold it because I didn't play it enough. It deserved to be played. Something I sometimes regret.

But, this is the point of this reply. Ibanez just got a serious enemy at the gates. Sire...
    I picked up an M2. I also have an SR 300 as I needed that neck and also weight became an issue since we have 4-5 hour practice nowadays.
    Hence the regret.

But I can safely say a sire Marcus Miller M7 will blow most Ibanez that cost way more, my 1820 costed nearly double, straight out of the water.
    Sound is great, that neck is the smoothest ever, finish is flawless. You get to choose between ash or alder. Just the weight is a tad more.
    The M2 has everything the M7 has, except different wood, mahogany, tuners are less, fine though and the series switch is missing.

mexicant likes this.
  18. sxaxsx

sxaxsx

May 23, 2012
    Harrisburg PA
    Ibanez and Fender are just different, both are good basses. I went through a phase where I sold my Fender Jazz bought two Ibanez basses, and thought Ibanez was "better" but eventually I sold both Ibanez basses and now I own two Fender basses. But not because I think Fender is better than Ibanez, just because the passive Fender sound with flats is now more what I am into than the active, modern Ibanez sound.

19. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    Every time I pick up and play an Ibanez it feels almost like a toy in my hands. To each his/her own.

20. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think the op has found his community of Ibanez fans here on TB!

I've also always been impressed by Ibanez quality, innovation and QC. However, I've never liked the aesthetics or skinny necks on their flagship Soundgear instruments.

There are exceptions -I think the TMB100 is the best value in a classic styled bass today- but I just don't need or want anything Ibanez makes today.

At the same time, I do think it's interesting that Ibanez is considered modern, when the core Soundgear bass design is 33 years old. I think that says more about musicians conservative aesthetic preferences than it does about Ibanez though.

Eli_Kyiv and 31HZ like this.