What's your best find or deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stolow, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Stolow

Stolow

Jul 21, 2013
    So I found a Used Squier P Bass online for $99. From the picture I suspected it was a Vintage Modified. When it arrived I checked and sure enough it has Duncan Designed pickups and was made in Indonesia, nice! As a bonus, even if it was 'used', it's never been used. It's pristine and still has the inspection stickers and protective plastic on the pick guard. I feel like this was a pretty awesome deal, for a total of $130 after shipping and taxes. But I bet some of you have even better stories of amazing finds and deals. How about it?

2. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger. Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Dang, that's a good deal. I might have to duck out of this thread because I have a feeling I'll be green with envy by the end of page one.

I've never really gotten any crazy deals. I maintain that the Squier Classic Vibe '60s Jazz that I bought from a fellow TB member is one of the best deals I've ever gotten. $200 for a fantastic instrument -- one that's responsible for me finally truly appreciating what passive basses can offer. But the CV series are good deals on their own and the price I paid isn't that out of the ordinary.

3. I got my warwick thumb neck through 5 string for $2800 NEW. They go for $4299.99 most places online. That's $1500 off the normal price. I even got to pick it out, out of three of them that they had. A lot of things went into that deal. I have a good relationship with the store. The manager sold me 5 different basses, a used Conklin and 4 German made warwicks. he was a sales rep when i got the first one so maybe my expensive purchases helped his career and he wanted to hook me up. And I had been by for parts for the warwicks so Dana b goods who was warwicks distributor back then was great to me. Also super expensive instruments tend to sit around in stores and eventually the stores will get more and more flexible with the prices. Sadly though this is more and more rare these days. Most shops are getting away from stocking high end gear and are carrying more and more inexpensive stuff.

4. Found my Cort Artisan 4 on eBay being sold by a pawn shop in MN for $85 shipped. It was missing one of the strap buttons, but was otherwise perfect/new. The missing button didn't matter at all, as I prefer to use locks. This bass is still one of my best-playing instruments.

5. caddywumpus

caddywumpus

Sep 27, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I got my Ibanez SR405QM (new $500) for $200, and it came with a cable, Cry Baby wah pedal, and an $80 padded case. Everything mint and hardly touched.

6. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

My to best ever finds or deals were in the early 80's.

Sorry for being a little long winded.

1- 1963-CAR Jazz Bass. Bought of street drug addict.
    He can up to me and asked if I knew anyone who played
    guitar. I said yes, He then showed me the bass. Not telling
    him I played bass.
    I offered him $250.00 cash he took it. Deal.

2- While in a local music store looking for strings.
    A man came in the shop looking to trade his guitar.
    Knowing it was a fender case, I listen in to him talking to
    the salesman who was a horn player. The salesmen said
    he knew nothing about guitars and to come back tomorrow
    When the guitar guy was on.
    Then walked away. I asked the man to let me see what
    was in the case. He opened it, show a mint Sunburst 1962
    Strat. He wanted two Shur 58 mics. I said I would buy the
    mics, for the guitar. It cost me $362.00 with tax for the
    deal. I sold the guitar 5 yrs later for $6000.00.

These two deals early in my quest for guitars, has keep me
    looking for guitars for over 30 years.
    I have bought, sold and traded hundreds of instruments.
    Crazy deals are out there everyday, if your lucky.
    But you have to look.

7. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    These are my top 3 finds......
    - Ibanez SR1205E for $300 at a pawnshop
    - 1979 Rickenbacker 4000 $1250 over TB
    - Recently scored an all original 78 bass w/ original HSC in 9.8/10 condition for $1100 over craigslist

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    '88 Kubicki ExFactor for $90 in 1992. The guy thought the truss rod was broken. Turned out it was just stuck and after I cracked it loose played great. Never had anything like that kinda luck before or since.

9. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    1993 Rickenbacker 4001v63 - $1200, a couple of years ago.
    It was on CL, as part of a huge lot of instruments for sale with no photos, listed as a "Rickenbacker 4001". It was a GREAT one too. Stupidly let it go.

1974 Fender Telecaster Bass - $1100, last year.
    Another craigslist deal. AWESOME bass.

10. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    When I was 17- 32 years ago, a guy sold me his pawn ticket for $25. I went to the shop and paid $90 dollars for my 1978 Gibson RD Artist with Moog compressor in Tobacco Sunburst. I still have it.

11. wait until TexasSunburst59 sees this thread..his stories are mythical

12. Sweet!

My best score was a road-worn and sweet 1962 sunburst/tort Precision for $100 with tweed case back in the mid '70s. My mom bought it from her hairdresser, who was the original owner.

13. DocGeorge

DocGeorge Gold Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Indio, CA
    Only two great deals. First was kinda recent, found a '99 American Deluxe P at a GC for $500. Pristine condition

The other deal was in 1995 or so. Found a '64 Jazzmaster at a yard sale for $60. Yep that's not a typo, $60. Everything was original. At some point in its life someone painted it with a thick Tangerine color using a paint brush. Looked terrible. My luthier was able to remove it carefully and found a beautiful 3 color burst under it.

14. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    As great deals go, getting this early 90s MIJ Charvel JB in a trade for a Boss TR2, DD6 and a set of tuners has to be one of my better ones. It needed quite a bit of work to get it really singing, but it is a really, really nice piece of gear. Someone had already replaced the original fretted rosewood board with a lined ebony one and badly installed a decent Gotoh bridge which was too big to get decent action out of and too close to the treble side of the neck. The old Reflex active pickup system was a bit wacky too. I installed a small neck shim and new heavy brass bridge, got the action nice and low, a Noll TCM3 preamp and some hand wound pickups from Jess Loureiro - check him out if you want great pickups stupidly cheap. This thing is most definitely a keeper now, all for a Boss TR2, DD6 and a set of tuners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have had several good deals over the last 10 years or so:

New Music Man Stingray for $750 at GC (ended up trading it even for an Alembic Epic 5 string)

Alembic Epic 4 String for $750, sold it for $1,200

1977 Fender Precision for $750, sold it for $1,500

2008 MIA Fender Precision for $500, sold it for $800

Carving LB 75 for $250, sold it for $750

MIA Ampeg SVT 6 Pro for $550, sold for $800 then bought another one for $479

Two MIA Ampeg SVT 410HE cabs in excellent condition for $250 each, sold them for $400 each

16. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    1981: '77 Precision for $400. That was my main bass for gigging and recording until I retired from live work in 2001. Still have the bass.

17. Cmymud

Cmymud

Oct 19, 2009
    Prince George, VA
    SVT410 and a GK RB1001 for $400 in great shape.

18. Shedua511

Shedua511

Apr 6, 2013
    Oslo, Norway
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    Did it occur to you that it might be a stolen instrument?

19. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    '72 Electra Longnecker Jazz bass in great condition with a '69 Vox Kensington solid state amp. Package deal, $100. Yard sale that was in my uncles neighborhood as i was passing through. Turns out the woman is Mickey Cash, country singer that is Johnny's niece!!! OH YEA

electra.jpg

Came with a white pickguard, i had a black one fitted. Ive called her Betty.

-Jeff

20. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Hand made custom bass for $90 bought from builder

5 piece neck through body

Solid figured curly maple body wings

Red Heart finger board

EMG pickups

$120 hard shell case

11-25-2.jpg

Tabdog

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021